Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP722 Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spyz88

spyz88

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hello everyone I'm new to DBStalk and new to Dish Network so bear with me please. Last Thursday I had Dish network come in to install the ViP722 and it was working fine. Everyday since then about twice a day the unit seems to freeze for no reason. I have to pull the power plug out and did a couple of other suggestions I read on here.

I THINK that it is ventilated properly because I previously had a TiVo Series 3 in the same spot and had no issues with that. I also noticed that after it freezes the left side of the DVR is EXTREMELY HOT and the right side is ice cold with the fan running on full blast. I was thinking of putting the chill mat under it but that seems plain out stupid that you would have to Jerry Rig such an advanced piece of equipment.

I called Dish and they said they would send someone out on Wednesday because they think there might be trees in the way, but that doesnt make any sense to me. I have no issues pixelating or with dropped out signals like with DirecTV. The reboots especially are annoying in the middle of the NBA Finals :(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hello everyone I'm new to DBStalk and new to Dish Network so bear with me please. Last Thursday I had Dish network come in to install the ViP722 and it was working fine. Everyday since then about twice a day the unit seems to freeze for no reason. I have to pull the power plug out and did a couple of other suggestions I read on here.

I THINK that it is ventilated properly because I previously had a TiVo Series 3 in the same spot and had no issues with that. I also noticed that after it freezes the left side of the DVR is EXTREMELY HOT and the right side is ice cold with the fan running on full blast. I was thinking of putting the chill mat under it but that seems plain out stupid that you would have to Jerry Rig such an advanced piece of equipment.

I called Dish and they said they would send someone out on Wednesday because they think there might be trees in the way, but that doesnt make any sense to me. I have no issues pixelating or with dropped out signals like with DirecTV. The reboots especially are annoying in the middle of the NBA Finals :(

Check and post your HD temperature reading...Low, High, and Average.
You will find them in the Counters.
Go to Menu >6 >3 >Counters
Once there, use the Page/Down on your remote to navigate to the HD Temp data.

You can also check your signal strength readings in Menu >6 >1 >1
Use a few different transponders for each satellite to obtain an average strength.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

It could still be a heat issue. The receiver runs very hot and perhaps hotter than your TiVo did. Lots of people use laptop coolers or other types of fans to cool the unit. If it sits in the open there should really not be a problem but if it is enclosed in any way, additional cooling may be necessary.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   spyz88

spyz88

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

It could still be a heat issue. The receiver runs very hot and perhaps hotter than your TiVo did. Lots of people use laptop coolers or other types of fans to cool the unit. If it sits in the open there should really not be a problem but if it is enclosed in any way, additional cooling may be necessary.

Yes I went ahead and put it on the laptop cooler. Seems to have cooled it down a bit. It reminds me of my MacBook Air LOL. The average temp. is 120 and the highest temp was 134.

I don't know if this is for another thread but why if you go to point dish then change the transponder for a higher signal it won't be the same when you exit then re-enter the point dish menu?

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

When you enter the point dish screen the sat and transponder should be on the last channel you were tuned to.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Yes I went ahead and put it on the laptop cooler. Seems to have cooled it down a bit. It reminds me of my MacBook Air LOL. The average temp. is 120 and the highest temp was 134.

I don't know if this is for another thread but why if you go to point dish then change the transponder for a higher signal it won't be the same when you exit then re-enter the point dish menu?

Chuck is correct, it will be the last channel you were tuned to.

By your statement, Spyz, you may have a misconception of what you are seeing when you change transponders in the Point Dish screen.
Each transponder carries different channels from the satellite. You can view the different Orbital Locations, Transponders, and Channels HERE

Changing transponders, while in the Point Dish screen, does not change the strength of that particular satellite's transponder to your receiver, all it does is give you the signal strength reading of that particular transponder, and the channels being transmitted from that transponder.

The reason you should look at several transponders when trying to determine the signal strength of a particular satellite is, each transponder is different, and the average of several transponders will represent a more accurate overall signal strength for the satellite you are checking.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

spam firewall