Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Last connect?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spyz88

spyz88

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Well along with my other problems I have been trying to figure out how the software update works. I have it set to update at 5:00am since I am usually up til 1am and I know it needs to shutoff with the inactivity timer (which the minimum is 4 hours).

Yet when I am in the system info it says last connect 5/13/08. Also last night I was trying to see what was on at 8pm and it said it needed to download the program guide. I have the broadband setup and it says OK when I check it so im not sure how exactly the software update works and why that and the program guide are not working.

Is there anyway to force an update?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well along with my other problems I have been trying to figure out how the software update works. I have it set to update at 5:00am since I am usually up til 1am and I know it needs to shutoff with the inactivity timer (which the minimum is 4 hours).

Yet when I am in the system info it says last connect 5/13/08. Also last night I was trying to see what was on at 8pm and it said it needed to download the program guide. I have the broadband setup and it says OK when I check it so im not sure how exactly the software update works and why that and the program guide are not working.

Is there anyway to force an update?

You can force a nightly update, by going to Menu >8 >5, and setting the time for two minutes ahead of the current time, then put the receiver in Stand-By.
Once the update completes (the receiver will reboot) be certain to change your update time back to its normal time.
Sometimes, by moving to the very end of the program guide, a message will pop up requesting to update it. You can try that also.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

The inactivity timer does not need to kick in for the nightly update. The receiver just needs to in in stand by mode, which is what you get when you turn it off but still have power to it, and no recording being done.

The last connect is the last time it called out to Dish, which is nothing to do with the nightly update. The nightly update takes place using the sat signal not the broadband or phone line.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

The inactivity timer does not need to kick in for the nightly update. The receiver just needs to in in stand by mode, which is what you get when you turn it off but still have power to it, and no recording being done.

The last connect is the last time it called out to Dish, which is nothing to do with the nightly update. The nightly update takes place using the sat signal not the broadband or phone line.

I believe the software has been changed so that it will go get an EPG update and reboot even if it is NOT in standby. When it comes to the time fo your update, in my case 3 am, if the unit is not recording it will give you a warning and then reboot and download the nightly update. If you are recording, it will wait until recording is finished and then reboot. At least this is the way mine works now.

Also "Check switch" will force a download too.
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#5 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

I believe the software has been changed so that it will go get an EPG update and reboot even if it is NOT in standby. When it comes to the time fo your update, in my case 3 am, if the unit is not recording it will give you a warning and then reboot and download the nightly update. If you are recording, it will wait until recording is finished and then reboot. At least this is the way mine works now.

It will also give you the option of not doing the update.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

That is the way mine works as well.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

That is the way mine works as well.

Mine also...cannot tell if it momentarily goes into Stand-By when you OK the update, or if it just goes to a reboot.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

spam firewall