Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix $99 Set Top Box Announced

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

on The Register this AM http://www.theregist...downloads_roku/

Netflix will begin selling its set top streaming box for $99, and will start the service with 10000 titles available. The box is made by Silicon Valley start up Roku and is available on their web site. It has connections for all types of TV including HDMI and the box is "capable" of handling HD although there is no indication that this is available at this time.

There is also listing I have found yet for the 10000+ titles, If this similar to their online streaming service for the PC, there is very little I would watch through this box. On the other hand, if they start to offer new release in HD over this box then Netflix will become my new best friend.

Find the box and more information at http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

same here if they do bluray, i am getting one.

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Yup, I'm with both you guys - need the HD content and I'm in!

#4 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

but i was reading on another website that alot of these movies would be old releases. well a few of new releases

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

This is what I have been waiting for. I have two questions though. First can you have more than one on an account (for different TV's in the house) and the second question is will there be a limit on how many movies you can watch with it?

#6 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

as far as what i read no limit

http://www.foxnews.c...tflixTV,00.html

#7 OFFLINE   bgartz

bgartz

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

I am sure once this box takes off, they will start adding better content. I think the older material was easier to get online, from a studio perspective. If this box becomes a success, then studios will be more apt to let Netflix stream their movies.

#8 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

aren't they going to possibly face the same issue as with DOD if you watch a great deal of movies if Comcast moves forward on the cap or charging more for users who download over the limit.......
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#9 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

aren't they going to possibly face the same issue as with DOD if you watch a great deal of movies if Comcast moves forward on the cap or charging more for users who download over the limit.......

Yes.. there are probably going to be bandwidth issue if and when this and other similar services become really popular. It's a hurdle we will have to face somewhere down the road and there are no easy answers. I have yet to hear why the "pipes" we have in the United States are so small as compared to the pipes in other countries. The Japanese have 93,693 Mbits per second average advertised download speeds while the USA averages 8,860 Mb/sec.

Japan price per megabit per second averages $3.09, in the USA $12.6 per Mb/second.

I dont pretend to know the answer, but lets just say that the generation of Business Administration majors who are in control are incapable of seeing beyond the next quarter.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

I dont pretend to know the answer, but lets just say that the generation of Business Administration majors who are in control are incapable of seeing beyond the next quarter.

You don't pretend to know because you already know it and hit the nail on the head. :D

And here is where private companies will excel and kill the competition. Look at the financial services industry turmoil. Bear, Merrill, UBS, etc, etc all hit with record writeoffs and losses... all publicly traded and beholden to the shareholder, trying to make a quick buck in the mortgage market so they won't be punished by shareholders when the competition squeaks out a penny more in earnings next quarter. Many private companies in the same industry came out unscathed. I'm not saying that there aren't public companies who don't do it right and that there aren't private companies who are perfect, but by and large, your statement is entirely accurate and sadly true.

But in this free market economy that we operate in, the cream will eventually rise. Sometimes it takes a little longer than we'd like.

#11 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

There is some new worthwhile reading about the Netflix/Roku box at http://www.engadget....st-impressions/

Some GOOD information in this about Netflix pushing for HD sooner rather than later.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#12 OFFLINE   steelhorse

steelhorse

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

I just hooked up my netflix box over the weekend. Very simple hook up. At first I used the built in wireless. Quality okay, not good. Then I decided to hardwire it. Huge improvement. Netflix claims they are going to add more selections. Hope that is true.
I have had netflix for years and think this box is a great idea, and so simple to setup.
The next hurdle will be the secret comcast limit.

#13 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

got mine today, the pic quality is real good, the audio is good also, like the selection of movies to instant que, plus they have a good selection of series to watch, i got a 2 week trial period on mine, real simple to hook up, and the video loads superfast, looks great on my 65 in hdtv. it is well worth the $99 investment, and you can take it with you and stream things to it from others internet browsers, as long as you have an account with them set up. i got mine setup for the wireless and the pic quality is still awesome, depends on your internet speed and your provider.

#14 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

when will they have the bluray box out?

#15 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

when will they have the bluray box out?

This box was built to handle HD from the start, as yet though Netflix has not activated the feature nor are they providing any HD material.

That being said, Netflix's CEO stated that they were moving to HD delivery as quickly as possible because they fell that is the future and rightly so.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'll let you guys in on a little secret...

Shhhhh!

Apple TV

:lol:
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   steelhorse

steelhorse

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:59 AM

I'll let you guys in on a little secret...

Shhhhh!

Apple TV

:lol:

The apple tv box is over twice the money up front. Then a per movie fee.
Let's give netflix a little time to see how their box is going to work out.
Netflix has unlimited rentals for one price. If they kick in hd and more titles, which is what their plan seems to be, it will be hard to beat.

#18 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:35 AM

The apple tv box is over twice the money up front. Then a per movie fee.
Let's give netflix a little time to see how their box is going to work out.
Netflix has unlimited rentals for one price. If they kick in hd and more titles, which is what their plan seems to be, it will be hard to beat.

Apple-shills don't mind spending twice the amount for the same or less technology, right AirRocker? :D :P

#19 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Not quite tcusta... The Apple TV has a 160GB HD... i can rent OR buy movies... I can buy TV shows... I have every episode of HIMYM stored right there on the device... I can also browse the itunes store... save my music and photos on it... or stream them over my network from another computer...

Now explain to me how that's the same or less technology?? :D

I was just kidding though... The netflix box could be a decent solution for people not wanting all of the bells and whistles... I'm betting it will fair pretty well...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

Not quite tcusta... The Apple TV has a 160GB HD... i can rent OR buy movies... I can buy TV shows... I have every episode of HIMYM stored right there on the device... I can also browse the itunes store... save my music and photos on it... or stream them over my network from another computer...

Now explain to me how that's the same or less technology?? :D

I was just kidding though... The netflix box could be a decent solution for people not wanting all of the bells and whistles... I'm betting it will fair pretty well...

Aww shucks, I was just kidding buddy.:sure: I want to be an Apple Fanboy, I do, but I just don't buy into the hype. :lol:

Apple's offering seems to be a hybrid of a full-service DVR and a movie delivery service. You're right, Netflix is just providing a movie delivery service with none of the bells and whistles. It would seem that once DirecTV gets their ducks in a row the HR2x could replace most of the extra functionality you say AppleTV has - of course that would require a lot of what's in CE testing plus a slew of other wishlist type items to go live...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...