Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix $99 Set Top Box Announced

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

I have an Apple TV but am very interested to see what happens with the Netflix box. Sounds like a simple solution for Netflix renters.

Be aware though that the Apple TV is really not the same thing. It's much more robust and there is no monthly fee to own one. Also, with the internal hard drive, you can rip your rented or purchased DVD's to the box for later viewing.

As far as HD, true, renting on the Apple TV is expensive but there are HD movies available in iTunes that are not available on Blu-Ray.

Either way, the Netflix box sounds cool and I just might get one to try it out. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

Just what i need - ANOTHER STB. I'll pass, thank you
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#23 OFFLINE   Bobby H

Bobby H

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:39 PM

Just my opinion, but I think HD downloads from the Internet isn't going to be worthwhile in the United States for at least a few more years. Right now the "HD" from providers like Apple (via their AppleTV) device is just not very good at all.

When I checked into it Apple was charging $5.99 for a 24 hour window on viewing a HD rental movie. That movie is encoded in 720p MPEG-4 AVC with lossy DD 5.1 audio. A 2 hour movie fits in about 4GB of hard drive space. That's a little over half the space required by the average MPEG-2 based 480p DVD movie. That's really severe data compression.

At the same time, I can rent a Blu-ray movie from Hastings for $5.99 and keep it for 7 days. Or $3.99 if I bring back the video the next day. Our local Blockbuster and Hollywood Video locations charge $4.99 for Blu-ray rentals.

Obviously the 1080p video and lossless or uncompressed audio on Blu-ray runs at bandwidths far above anything any download-based provider can match. I think it's going to be 7-10 years before Internet connections in the United States provide bandwidths of 30 million bits per second or better in most cities and towns.

#24 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

I have rented many HD movies on the Apple TV. I also have Blu-Ray. While Blu-Ray is obviously superior, the Apple TV HD movies are really not all that bad. I shoot them up on a 106" screen and they look quite good. Definitely better than an upconverted DVD but not as good as Blu-Ray.

The Apple TV is all about convenience. There are times when I want to watch the movie now and not wait for a few days to get the movie from Netflix or have to leave the house to run to a rental store. I for one like the convenience. BTW, the HD movies are $3.99 and $4.99 to rent on the Apple TV.

As far as the original topic, my Netflix box will be arriving on Wednesday. :) Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

#25 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

OK so I'm officially impressed.

I received the Netflix box today and hooked it to a 32" LCD 720p HDTV.

Setup was easy and the internal wireless in the box did not have any trouble finding my network. Signal strength is good.

The quality? Not bad at all. At normal viewing distance it looks almost as good as DVD. The interface couldn't be simpler.

The only thing I had to do was go into the settings on the Netflix box and change it to 16X9. It defaults to 4X3.

Also, good news. Harmony remotes will work. Just select up Roku under DVR and use the model number N1000. My Harmony 880 has no issues controlling the box.

IMHO, this is a steal for $99. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what Netflix has planned for this thing.

#26 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

The Netflix box is turning out to be a hit. I placed about 40 movies in the queue and noticed that my wife and kids are all using the box. Why wife hates it when I buy new toys but she is actually enjoying this one. She says she like the fact that it's basically "on demand".

Just for kicks I hooked the box up to my 106" front projection system. PQ was about the same as a standard definition movie on the Apple TV. Not great for a very large screen but good enough as long as you are not sitting too close to the screen.

#27 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

Has anyone heard about the LG box that they are suppose to launch for bluray?

#28 OFFLINE   kevhow

kevhow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

The Netflix box is turning out to be a hit. I placed about 40 movies in the queue and noticed that my wife and kids are all using the box. Why wife hates it when I buy new toys but she is actually enjoying this one. She says she like the fact that it's basically "on demand".

Just for kicks I hooked the box up to my 106" front projection system. PQ was about the same as a standard definition movie on the Apple TV. Not great for a very large screen but good enough as long as you are not sitting too close to the screen.

How is the selection using the box? I know it says 10,000 movies, but do they have some new releases on it too?

I'm thinking $8.99/mo, 1 DVD at a time and unlimited movies on the Netflix box seems like a pretty good deal.

#29 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

How is the selection using the box? I know it says 10,000 movies, but do they have some new releases on it too?

I'm thinking $8.99/mo, 1 DVD at a time and unlimited movies on the Netflix box seems like a pretty good deal.

The selection isn't really that great. Lots of older movies but very few newer ones. No new releases from what I can see. There are some movies that are less than a year old.

For right now the box is great for access to older titles. Maybe titles that you haven't rented yet because you don't wish to clog up your main Netflix queue. I have found that it's best just to load up the instant access queue with a bunch of movies. That way when you turn the box on, you have a large selection to choose from.

This thing has potential. Right now I wouldn't recommend it to someone who only rents newer titles but for someone who wants quick access to catalog stuff, it's wonderful.

#30 OFFLINE   cebbigh

cebbigh

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I've had mine for a few weeks now and am VERY pleased with it. Pretty much the same reaction from my wife. She's always skeptical when I get anything new for the TV but she thinks this was a good deal. As they build their database I see this really taking off. This thing is really a good value, especially if you have a decent speed connection. If Roku partners with Lulu in addition to Netflix it will even get better. It's great as it is at 480p. Once they bump up to hi-def LOOK OUT!!
Chuck
TV: Mitsubishi 57" 1080p DLP (WD-Y577)
DTV: HR20-100 & HR21-700
BLU-RAY (Panasonic BD-35)
Netflix/Roku player

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,268 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

I love my Roku box. I eagerly await HD for it. For SD, though, it is very good. Some stuff looks like good DVD, some is about like watching SD on an HD channel.

I am currently using it to catch up on old stuff. There is quite a bit of British TV on it (many old Doctor Who episodes and a lot of Brit Coms) and lots of older movies. I think I have about 80 things in my queue right now.

And I am very pleasantly surprised at the dependability. Very few glitches with lots of watching.

They can improve things and there is a forum on Roku's website that discusses issues. Things like better organization of the shows you have access to (and I personally hate the big display Netflix-style, preferring nice neat lists) but for a one time fee of $99, this is a great addition if you are already a Netflix customer. A no-brainer, really.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've had mine for a few weeks now and am VERY pleased with it...

I love my Roku box...

Thanks for the reports. I ended up getting a second box for another TV. I found out that you can have as many boxes as your plan allows (2 out - 2 boxes, 3 out - 3 boxes, etc). Both are working well. When they get HD for this thing, it will shine!

#33 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

The Xbox 360 will soon have this same functionality (Fall 2008). Can the Roku box not do HD, or are they just not pushing HD at the moment. Was thinking of signing-up with my Xbox, but was hoping for HD.

#34 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

The Xbox 360 will soon have this same functionality (Fall 2008). Can the Roku box not do HD, or are they just not pushing HD at the moment. Was thinking of signing-up with my Xbox, but was hoping for HD.

The Roku player will be able to do HD but Netflix is not offering HD yet for it.

#35 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/99078

Steve

#36 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

AirRocker - What is HIMYM?
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#37 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:31 PM

AirRocker - What is HIMYM?

"How I Met Your Mother"?

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#38 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

I ordered a Netflix player on Thursday and receiver it a little while ago and I must say they PQ is as good or maybe even better than I thought it would be. I personally see myself using it a lot.

I would like to see some more current content added to it. It does not need to be new release stuff, but things that have been out on DVD for a few months would be great IMO.

The only question/problem I am having is does it do Dolby Digital and if so does it work through HDMI?

I have it hooked up via HDMI and I am not getting Dolby Digital so I am wondering if the unit can even do it before I pick up a digital optical cable if it will not work through HDMI.

Thanks,
Mike

#39 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

No, I don't think it does Dolby Digital yet.

#40 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

No, I don't think it does Dolby Digital yet.

Thanks Chris. I figured, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

spam firewall