Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix $99 Set Top Box Announced

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

when do you guys think it will be able to show hd content?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

when do you guys think it will be able to show hd content?

Yes. It has HDMI and component and I believe it has already been announced that there will be HD content available at some point for it.

#43 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yes. It has HDMI and component and I believe it has already been announced that there will be HD content available at some point for it.

yeah i know at some point but i just didnt know if this year or next but thank you. i want to get one but the turn off is the no hd part and as what ive read no new release.

#44 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

so i am thinking about getting this box today...i was wondering how you guys like it?

#45 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

it is very nice, well worth the 99 investment, the faster your internet connection is, the better video quality is, you can stream a entire movie in less then 2 mins, i love it !!! :)

#46 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

Maybe a little off topic but I heard from a good source today that Blockbuster is putting planned download schemes on the back burner and is going to push more into the $.99 Kiosk rental business. They got on the mail rental market late and don't want the same thing to happen to them with the rental boxes. This seems logical to me as downloading is a hassle. I get all my movies from REDBOX.

#47 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm on the fence about all this stuff. I love movies but I want high quality and I want to be able to watch at the last minute. The Netflix box is interesting if it delivers HD-quality at some point, but now there's the possibility that Comcast will cut me off if I watch too many movies.

At this point I think I'm leaning to the BluRay player and hope that RedBox stocks them. Blockbuster is so inconvenient to me. RedBoxes are everywhere here.

For the time being I think we'll continue to use our current method of subscribing to one premium movie channel and renting an HD PPV when the urge hits.

#48 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

Maybe a little off topic but I heard from a good source today that Blockbuster is putting planned download schemes on the back burner and is going to push more into the $.99 Kiosk rental business. They got on the mail rental market late and don't want the same thing to happen to them with the rental boxes. This seems logical to me as downloading is a hassle. I get all my movies from REDBOX.

Thats great for you but you can not get TV shows on DVD in REDBOX. Shows like the Wire from HBO are typically $70-100 for one 12 episode season. Netflix is well worth the money. Besides what better 80,000 titles or 50 in a box? I am sure it works well for some. I mean the idea of renting a new release on Tuesday for $1 is great and I use REDBOX some but I will not cancel Netflix reguardless.

#49 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:24 AM

just checked out the new movies added on netflix this morning, looks like they have added a bunch from 2007 now, also some of them are being shown on the premium movie channels this month, i love it!!! keep up the good work netflix. :)

#50 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

just checked out the new movies added on netflix this morning, looks like they have added a bunch from 2007 now, also some of them are being shown on the premium movie channels this month, i love it!!! keep up the good work netflix. :)

Agree. The selection is much better now.

#51 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

I don't have netflix at present. Is the box required to DL movies or can you use your pc as well?

Agree. The selection is much better now.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#52 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:50 PM

PC will work just fine... just visit the netflix web site.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#53 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:17 AM

Starz, Netflix Team Up For Online Content
Movie rental service Netflix and Starz Entertainment on Wednesday announced an agreement that will make content from the "Starz Play" broadband subscription service available for instant streaming at Netflix. The deal adds some 2,500 movies, TV shows and concerts to Netflix's online library and makes Starz Play available to all unlimited Netflix subscriptions.

"The coupling of Starz Play with our growing library of streaming content is an important step forward for both companies and for consumer choice," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix. "Our deal reflects the creative ways we are working with content partners to expand the profile and the number of choices our subscribers can watch instantly over the internet."

To date, about 1,000 Starz titles are currently available for instant streaming from the Netflix web site, with more set to be added in the coming weeks, the companies said. The Starz collection of programming for online distribution includes first-run movies ("Spider Man 3" and "Ratatouille"), independent films, sports and concert footage as well as original content like the Starz series "Crash."

#54 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

The upgrade for HD that Netflix/Roku box owners have been waiting for is finally here in time for Christmas.

So now we have the XBox360, Samsung Blu-Ray players, Netflix/Roku boxes, etc., capable of delivering HD the question now will be can the Netflix delivery system take the load? Will we see a rapidly expanding selection of titles? Will ISP's be able to take the load...?

Time will tell.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#55 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

I seen the reports saying by the end of the year and have been waiting for it but I just checked mine and no new update available.

#56 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Where can I get a Roku HD box?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#57 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

You just have to go to roku.com and order a Netflix player. But as I said above the update is not available yet, at least not for me. I know it is suppose to be out by the end of the year.

#58 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Engadget reports the update is being pushed out "in waves" http://www.engadget....flix-streaming/ right now... As I have the Samsung Blu-Ray and the XBox 360 I cant verify, but that is what they are reporting as 12-20-2008.

You just have to go to roku.com and order a Netflix player. But as I said above the update is not available yet, at least not for me. I know it is suppose to be out by the end of the year.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#59 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Larry. I can't wait to get the update.

#60 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...