Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix $99 Set Top Box Announced

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

ok thanks :) I actually did not know that. I thought when I heard that a while back you could only have two units. Now I know.

I should have been a bit more clear about that. You can have six devices but if you have the "two out" plan, you can stream to only 2 of them at the same time.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

I should have been a bit more clear about that. You can have six devices but if you have the "two out" plan, you can stream to only 2 of them at the same time.

I don't see that being a problem, at least not for me. I have two players so far but have never used more than one at a time.

#83 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

I don't see that being a problem, at least not for me. I have two players so far but have never used more than one at a time.

I know what you mean. I also have two Roku boxes and the "two out" plan. I think both boxes have concurrently streamed maybe 2 or 3 times since I've had them. When they did stream at the same time, I had no issues at all. One of them was even streaming HD.

#84 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

I've been trying to connect my Roku box through my HR20-100 DTV DVR in the bedroom with no luck. I've tried two different cables that I know work. WHen I connect the Roku box directly to the network it works fine, when I connect it to jack 2 on the HR20, no luck. Any ideas? I'd really not have to buy a LAN switch for the bedroom.

#85 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

I've been trying to connect my Roku box through my HR20-100 DTV DVR in the bedroom with no luck. I've tried two different cables that I know work. WHen I connect the Roku box directly to the network it works fine, when I connect it to jack 2 on the HR20, no luck. Any ideas? I'd really not have to buy a LAN switch for the bedroom.

The second ethernet connection on the HR20-100 does not work. It only works on the HR21, HR22, HR23, and R22.

#86 OFFLINE   wakajawaka

wakajawaka

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

The second ethernet connection on the HR20-100 does not work. It only works on the HR21, HR22, HR23, and R22.

Darn! Oh well, NewEgg here I come!

#87 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

My computer has high-def outputs to connect to my television.

Can you stream netflix HD titles to your computer for viewing on your TV?

#88 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

You can do that if you don't want to buy the Roku. But that little box works really good and I would recommend it. I have never streamed from the PC to the TV but I see no reason why you couldn't.

#89 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

You can do that if you don't want to buy the Roku. But that little box works really good and I would recommend it. I have never streamed from the PC to the TV but I see no reason why you couldn't.

My PC is already connected to my HDTV, so I figured if its possible, it could save $100. And its one less thing to connect to the AV receiver.

#90 OFFLINE   TSR

TSR

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

on The Register this AM http://www.theregist...downloads_roku/

Netflix will begin selling its set top streaming box for $99, and will start the service with 10000 titles available. The box is made by Silicon Valley start up Roku and is available on their web site. It has connections for all types of TV including HDMI and the box is "capable" of handling HD although there is no indication that this is available at this time.

There is also listing I have found yet for the 10000+ titles, If this similar to their online streaming service for the PC, there is very little I would watch through this box. On the other hand, if they start to offer new release in HD over this box then Netflix will become my new best friend.

Find the box and more information at http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

Almost seems kind of foolish to me for them to do this given the way technology is headed right now with HD and Blu-ray, etc...

But there are people out there that don't have Netflix or an HD TV and will see this as an option for watching movies, possibly cheaper than the theater I suppose, also must keep in mind that the movies they offer online right now really isn't a varied choice unfortunately.

#91 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Amazon Video on Demand goes HD.

It's been a long time in coming, but Amazon Video on Demand is finally available in high-def. Owners of TiVo HD/Series 3 DVRs, the Roku Digital Video Player, the Sony Bravia Internet Video Link, and Panasonic VieraCast TVs (and, presumably, VieraCast-enabled Blu-ray players) will be the first to enjoy Amazon's content in HD (software updates to enable HD viewing on those products should be available imminently).

More...
http://news.cnet.com...10224250-1.html

#92 OFFLINE   dmaintenanceman

dmaintenanceman

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Amazon Video on Demand goes HD.

It's been a long time in coming, but Amazon Video on Demand is finally available in high-def. Owners of TiVo HD/Series 3 DVRs, the Roku Digital Video Player, the Sony Bravia Internet Video Link, and Panasonic VieraCast TVs (and, presumably, VieraCast-enabled Blu-ray players) will be the first to enjoy Amazon's content in HD (software updates to enable HD viewing on those products should be available imminently).

More...
http://news.cnet.com...10224250-1.html

I have the Panasonic TH-58pz850u with Viera-Cast. The GUI is nice, fast, and easy to use. There are jacket/DVD/Show covers and trailers. The trailers loaded very fast for a wireless connection. I will test hardwire at a later date. Picture quality on the HD Trailer is not as crisp and clear as DoD. Sound is ok. Unfortunately there is a price for everything. I have a Netflix account with Instant Watch enabled and HULU. The same TV shows found on Amazon.com, can be found on HULU for FREE.

Does anyone else have any user experience they would like to share?
---------------
(1) HR20-100 networked via (Cisco 2950 and 2-Wire Gateway)
(1) R10(Directv Tivo)
(2) D11
Panasonic TH-58PZ850u
Directv since 1998

#93 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

HD movies are only $4.99. I bought a friend the Roku box for his birthday. It's a great thing. My computer has HDMI out, so I use that, but there is something so convenient about this tiny box. I think I'm going to get one.

#94 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

So what speed do you need for HD?

I'm logged in at my office w/ 6Mbps connection and 1500 is still the fastest stream I can connect to.

My monitor is a 42" LG LCD. Its far from HD quality. Its not bad, but its not HD.

Or does it possibly have something to do w/ how the monitor is connected?

At home, I'm using a component video connection.

At the office its DVI-VGA.

#95 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:05 AM

I purchased one of the Roku boxes for my wife last week ($99 + shipping). Setup was as easy as plugging the HDMI cable into the box and TV, Plugging the network cable in (it also has wireless in the box), plugging the box into the outlet and turning on the TV.

The picture quality is great, interface is very nice and easy to use. I only wish we could separate our instant view queue so if we wanted a box like this for the kids it would only show the kid's movies that are in our queue.

All in all, if you want a very nice on-demand movie option...the Roku box is a great solution.

Edited by Ken S, 28 July 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#96 OFFLINE   HiDuck

HiDuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

I only wish we could separate our instant view queue so if we wanted a box like this for the kids it would only show the kid's movies that are in our queue.

Ken, My work around to this has been in organizing the instant que at netflix .com. I four year old that can't read (but definateley can distinguish movie covers for ones he can watch) so I have those all at the top of the que. The que for my wife and I follow his movies. My son knows that when he chooses the Roku (he even refers to it as that :D ) from the remote, all he has to do is hold the left key and it takes him to the top of the list where all his movies are.

#97 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:14 AM

Ken, My work around to this has been in organizing the instant que at netflix .com. I four year old that can't read (but definateley can distinguish movie covers for ones he can watch) so I have those all at the top of the que. The que for my wife and I follow his movies. My son knows that when he chooses the Roku (he even refers to it as that :D ) from the remote, all he has to do is hold the left key and it takes him to the top of the list where all his movies are.

That's not a bad idea until my son sees the movie cover with an attractive woman on it and starts watching that one instead of Kipper :)

#98 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:29 AM

What do these do to your web bandwidth?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#99 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:23 AM

What do these do to your web bandwidth?

The Roku provides feedback to NetFlix so that NetFlix can adjust the bitrate to account for bandwidth issues, so if you are using lots of bandwidth for some other purpose, the stream continues at a lower bitrate (and corresponding lower picture quality). If the Roku doesn't have enough available bandwidth, it'll stop displaying whatever you're watching and re-buffer - it's buffer is pretty small, so if the condition is more than momentary, it'll drive you nuts!

When buffering, the Roku provides a bitrate meter of dots 0 to 4, plus HD. I have 3mb DSL and I consistently get 4 dots and approx. DVD quality, even while casually browsing the web. I have had a couple of occasions where I had 2 or 3 dot bitstreams; during those times, I didn't have any re-buffering issues, but did notice picture quality degradation. I wouldn't want to do a major download or upload (or use bit torrent) while streaming a movie unless I had a faster Internet connection.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...