Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SportsSouth - why doesn't DISH show it nationally

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   billmarc

billmarc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

I noticed that DIRECTV shows the programming from SportsSouth, but DISH does not unless you live in one of the states in the southeast that evidentally is allowed to carry it. I live in Indiana and can watch SportsSouth about any time I want (except for pro team repeats).
SportsSouth shows up in the guide on DIRECTV, but not in the guide for DISH. What's the deal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

If you subscribe to multisport with Dish then you can watch SportSouth (and other RSNs) nationally. Otherwise you only get the one (or two) that are appropriate for your market.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

If you subscribe to multisport with Dish then you can watch SportSouth (and other RSNs) nationally. Otherwise you only get the one (or two) that are appropriate for your market.

Has this changed? I don't subscribe to the Multisports pack anymore, but when I did, SportsSouth was never included with the other RSN's. It seemed to be a continuation from the old "Turner South" contract that kept it as a true regional.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

Has this changed? I don't subscribe to the Multisports pack anymore, but when I did, SportsSouth was never included with the other RSN's. It seemed to be a continuation from the old "Turner South" contract that kept it as a true regional.

Since I don't currently subscribe to multisport myself, I'll have to let someone else answer that for sure... but my understanding is that you get all the RSNs. There are some situations where you might not get all of the HD RSNs since some are on 61.5 and others are on 129 and most folks are not pointing at both locations... but other than that, my understanding is that you get all the RSNs with multisport.

#5 OFFLINE   J. Black

J. Black

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

I subscribe to the multi sport package on Dish and I don't get Sport South here in Iowa. I also don't get all the games of the Kansas City Royals, the MLB team geographically located nearest to my home in Des Moines, but that's a rant for another day.

#6 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Yup, Turner South used to be much more than just sports. :sure: Because it only had regional rights to movies and stuff like that, it was only available to its region. I'm guessing that whatever old contract it has with Dish still reflects that idea.

#7 OFFLINE   colavsfaninnwia

colavsfaninnwia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

I subscribe to the multi sport package on Dish and I don't get Sport South here in Iowa. I also don't get all the games of the Kansas City Royals, the MLB team geographically located nearest to my home in Des Moines, but that's a rant for another day.

Agreed, i thought the screwy blackout system for KC games in Iowa went away when FSN took over. Guess not. And again SportsSouth only avail where the old Turner South used to be for E*.

#8 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

It's now part of Fox Sports, but those "Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, and parts of North Carolina" fightin' words are in the books. I especially remember the "parts of North Carolina" portion from the fine print I'd read.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

I see why/where I was confused now earlier in this thread... I keep wanting to think SportSouth and FOX Sports South are the same thing... but they are not. I am in central NC and don't get SportSouth at all.

#10 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Maybe upon contract renewal you'll get it with E* like we currently do nationwide with sports pack on D*.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#11 OFFLINE   Randal Graves

Randal Graves

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

I see why/where I was confused now earlier in this thread... I keep wanting to think SportSouth and FOX Sports South are the same thing... but they are not. I am in central NC and don't get SportSouth at all.

Yeah, they're two different channels. FSN South has all the national FSN programmimg, SportSouth is more local to the southern viewing area.

#12 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm in New York and I'm trying to chose between D* and E*. I've had them both in the past and I like the E* equipment better, but I really want to be able to watch SportSouth. Is SportSouth now available nationwide on E* by purchasing the Multi Sport package? (the reason I ask again is because the last post I can find on the topic is over 1 year old and I'm hoping the situation has changed). Thanks so much!

#13 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Well, I tried to send an email to Dish programing about this, but they could only send me a canned response about Fox Sports South (as opposed to SportSouth). I sent them a reply asking for clarification, but I doubt they'll understand what I'm asking. Can anyone who subscribes to Multi Sport (and is outside of the Southeast) check to see if they get SportSouth?

Thanks so much.

#14 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm in New York and I'm trying to chose between D* and E*. I've had them both in the past and I like the E* equipment better, but I really want to be able to watch SportSouth. Is SportSouth now available nationwide on E* by purchasing the Multi Sport package? (the reason I ask again is because the last post I can find on the topic is over 1 year old and I'm hoping the situation has changed). Thanks so much!

SportSouth is a regional sports network that reaches approximately 8.9 million cable and satellite subscribers in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and western North Carolina.

If you do NOT live in the five and 1/2 state coverage area (see above paragraph) you can still watch SportSouth by switching to DirecTV and signing up for the Sportspack package (interestingly, you CANNOT get SportSouth by switching to Dish Network and adding the Multi Sport package, even though Dish Network offers SportSouth to subscribers INSIDE the 5 and 1/2 state coverage area).

The blackout policy dates back to the days of Turner/Time Warner ownership. However, as of August 2007, it appears the restrictions have been lifted on DirecTV. Perhaps things will change (for Dish customers OUTSIDE the coverage area) when the contract between Dish and SportSouth is up for renewal.

#15 OFFLINE   billmarc

billmarc

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yes, that is correct. I subscribe to DISH Network and when I lived in Tennessee two years through eighteen months ago I received SportsSouth and all of the teams that they carry, but when I moved back to Indiana I lost the ability to receive SportsSouth. In fact, the service does not even show up in the guide anymore.

#16 OFFLINE   stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

Wow, that's too bad. You'd think Dish could get this worked out since it's been on DirecTV's Sports Pack since 2007.

spam firewall