Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yet another, 622 HDMI doesn't work post.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TennHokies

TennHokies

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Here's my sob sorry:rolleyes: I've had my 622 since April 06' and been VERY happy with it hooked up to my 6 year old, now former, Mits 65" HDTV via component cables. Yesterday my new 65" 2008 Mits (65735) arrived and I tried to hook it up via HDMI with no success (tv wouldn't recognize the connection). So back to component for now and logged into my old trusted dbstalk site and quickly got up to speed on the 622 HDMI issues.

My question is, how much better will the PQ look if I go through all the trouble (see below) of getting my HDMI connection to work? Is it really worth:

1. Calling Dish (and let's face it having to argue some), to either get a replacement 622 or more likely paying a bit to upgrade to a 722.
2A. Loosing all my DVR programing, much of which I can't rerecord given the SD channels (shows my kids watch over and over) I recorded them on are not part of my HD only package anymore.
2B. Saving all my DVR programing via EHD which I don't own so I'd have to buy new, on top of paying Dish the activation fee.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with what I got and don't really want the hassle. However, given the great resources available here I thought it worth a post to get some thoughts. Who knows, maybe it'll help others out when the issue comes there way.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Sorry you have HDMI problems. Bottom line: most cannot tell the difference in PQ between HDMI and Component.

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

Are you sure it's the 622 and not the TV since it's a new TV? Have you tried connecting another HDMI source to the same HDMI input (or another HDMI input) on the TV to make sure it's the 622. Also, I do notice a difference in detail and clarity on my Mits 73833? The component picture is softer and not as detailed as HDMI. People with smaller screens would probably not notice but since yours is 65", I'm sure you would notice a difference.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   TennHokies

TennHokies

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Are you sure it's the 622 and not the TV since it's a new TV? Have you tried connecting another HDMI source to the same HDMI input (or another HDMI input) on the TV to make sure it's the 622. Also, I do notice a difference in detail and clarity on my Mits 73833? The component picture is softer and not as detailed as HDMI. People with smaller screens would probably not notice but since yours is 65", I'm sure you would notice a difference.

lujan, thanks for your response and suggestions. I did try to use all three of my tv HDMI inputs with the 622 and none worked so that left me feeling the tv wasn't the problem (maybe a bad assumption?). I will try tonight using another HDMI device just to be sure.

I apperciate what your saying about the larger screen making the difference in detail and that's what has me wanting to get things resolved.

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

Sorry you have HDMI problems. Bottom line: most cannot tell the difference in PQ between HDMI and Component.

So far it hasn't happen, but some content providers want to limit HighDef so that its only available via the HDMI output, and downgrade the Component output to SD. And dish has tested to show they can do this. So you probably want to get the HDMI output fixed.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   phobos512

phobos512

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

One of our 622's HDMI crapped out today.

Thought it might be the switch, hooked the 622 up direct. No go. Thought it might be the TV, turned on the PS3, worked, not the TV.

Turned the 622 on and off a few times, no go. This blows.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

One of our 622's HDMI crapped out today.

Thought it might be the switch, hooked the 622 up direct. No go. Thought it might be the TV, turned on the PS3, worked, not the TV.

Turned the 622 on and off a few times, no go. This blows.

Sometimes pulling the power cord for a few minutes works. Sometimes.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   phobos512

phobos512

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Sometimes pulling the power cord for a few minutes works. Sometimes.

Yeah, I found that out. I left it unplugged for about an hour then plugged it back in, hard drive ran on high for about 5 or 10 minutes, then it worked again.

Hopefully it stays that way.

#9 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

You can also try an HDMI reset without rebooting the 622. Get to the 'analysis' screen under Menu-6-3, do an HDMI test. That will reset the HDMI port and reissue the HDMI handshake.

If you have to reboot or reset more than very rarely, you have either a flakey 622 or an HDMI compatiblity problem with the target device(s). If the latter, that isn't necessarily the 622's fault, especially if the other end isn't HDMI 1.3 compliant. Guess it's time for my stock HDMI problem summary again:

The 622 exhibits two kinds of HDMI failures,

One is hardware-related and requires a replacement receiver. You can diagnose this fairly easily. If your HDMI suddenly fails, or you get strange-looking video, or it doesn't do anything at all, try wiggling the HDMI connector in various directions at the 622 side. If the problem goes away or the image changes, you most likely have the hardware problem. This is caused by the solder joints at the connector failing. E* has redesigned the connector to fix this problem. Interestingly enough, D* had exactly the same fault with the HR10.

The other kind is software-related. Unfortunately, because of deficiencies in the original HDMI spec, it's difficult for vendors to have HDMI interoperate reliably with all other vendors' products. If your HDMI problem can be temporarily fixed by turning the TV off and then on, by changing the TV's input from HDMI to something else and then back to HDMI, or any other 'button fiddling', you have a software problem. If you've had the 622 replaced and still have the same problem, it's also likely a software problem. This one is not fun. A fix for one set of problems frequently breaks other things, and it seems to be virtually impossible for any vendor to get HDMI working with all other vendors, at least for HDMI versions less than 1.3. D* has had the same issues, as has just about every other vendor. Sometimes there is a software update available for your TV or receiver, definitely check for that. (I think Samsung and Panasonic in particular had some) Anything with HDMI prior to 1.2 is particularly susceptible, as are 'cheap' HDMI switches, splitters, etc.

The 622 and 722 now have an HDMI diagnostic screen. Press menu-6-3 (or 6-2 for the 722), select analysis, and run the test. This is helpful. If it doesn't show any kind of connection being established at all, you have a hardware problem or a bad cable. If it does connect, but you don't have a picture, you most likely have a software compatibility issue. The most common failure seems to be an inability to establish HDCP keys. This will be indicated in the analysis.

Finally, sometimes it really is coincidental that HDMI fails with a new release. It happened to me with the 4.01 version, and it turned out to be the HDMI hardware failure... the solder joints can fail at any random time just from thermal expansion and contraction cycles. So, the first step is always to try the connector wiggle test.

My avatar says it all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...