Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Dual TV setup question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have learned alot from this site over the years, thanks!

I just called Dish and upgraded from a 522 to a 722. They offered the 622 for $50, and the 722 for $75. Seemed like a no brainer to me :D

Currently I have the 522 feeding two bedrooms. Tv 2 is fed to my daughters bedroom with a coax cable, and we tune the tv to channel 69. We now have HDTVs in both bedrooms, so it was time to upgrade. My question is, can I feed HD to both tvs? The receiver is in our room, so I imagine I will hook up to TV1 with HDMI cable. Looking at a picture I found, it seems that TV2 only has composite RCA output? Does the 722 have the option to at least use the coax cable we have now for TV2? I can run a long HDMI cable, or set of component cables to TV2 to feed it HD, but from this picture it doesnt seem that is possible. Any info is appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yes, the HDTV and component outputs are both active at the same time, so you can "feed HD to both tvs". The only thing you have to remember is the same programming will be on both TVs. You can't watch different programs on each TV unless you use TV2 to the second tv and change it to dual mode.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#3 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

We use dual mode currently, because the tuners feed seperate rooms for seperate viewing. Sending the HD of TV1 to both tvs will not help me, I dont think my daughter wants to watch my sports!

So they way it looks, to run the tuners in dual mode, TV2 cannot be fed HD? That really stinks. Why would they call it an HD DVR dual tuner but only feed one TV HD? Makes no sense to me. I guess I should of looked into this before I ordered.

Does anyone know if I will be able to feed TV2 with the coax cable that is already run? That would make me extra mad if I had to run stinkin composite rca cables.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:13 PM

Why would they call it an HD DVR dual tuner but only feed one TV HD?

They don't claim for it to be HD dual output receiver, just an HD dual tuner. Actually, there are three tuners that are capable of tuning and recording HD if you have an OTA antenna.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

You can use the existing coax for TV2. You don't need to run RCA.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I do have an OTA antenna connection ready and waiting. I know all about the 3 tuners and 3 possible HD recordings/viewings. I just "assumed" a dual HD tuner with two outputs would have two HD outputs, makes sense to me. I just feel bad for my daughter, I told her last night that she would have Disney in HD now.......o well my bad. Thanks again.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Well, you could always give her the HD connection if you feel that bad for her. ;)
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#8 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

Not that bad!

#9 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

Get your daughter a 612 or a 211. HD for ALL!!!
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

spam firewall