Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 Owners Please Advise

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

I pre-ordered the Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition Playstation 3 Bundle yesterday from Konami.com.

I was debating between it and the standard MGS4 bundle for a long time, and I was swayed by the collectible status of the Limited over the 40GB advantage of the Standard.

Well, that's just the thing. I thought the only difference between the two is the HDD capacity. I now realize that besides the capacity, the 40GB is also missing PS2 compatibility, SACD support, and it does not have a Flash card reader.

For PS3 owners of 60GB and 80GB (that has these), save for the PS2 compatibility, are those other features a deal-breaker?

Thanks.
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:44 PM

another thing....... i have an 80 gb and it has 4 usb ports on the front, while i am pretty sure that the 40gb only has 2

#3 OFFLINE   408SJC

408SJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

I personaly have never used the card reader, but I had to have the ability to use my ps2 games since I have so many (about 75). I didnt know it had sacd ability but I don't have any. I thought the 40 gig didnt have built in wireless, but maybe I'm wrong.

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

40 gig does have wireless

#5 OFFLINE   akhicks

akhicks

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

i bought a used 60gig last month for the gta4 release. i went 60 for the backwards compatibility with ps2 games and i also like the card reader that way you can save some games to a card and take it to a friends.

#6 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

OK. based on your replies, I think I will keep my Gunmetal for the following reasons:

Flash Card Slots
I have a Wii and I have never used the SD card slot to show off pictures. My closest gamer friend is on a 360, so sharing saves is also a moot point in my case.

Backwards compatibility
Now that I think about it, I'm not that worried with BC as well since my PS2 (not slim) is still fully functional.

SACD
Don't have any as well.

Capacity
With some games requiring a 4GB mandatory install, I hope I don't regret this after a year. :(

Price
80GB wins hands down.

3 out of 5 is not a deal breaker for me. Thanks everyone.

BTW, what is the use of the USB ports besides charging the controllers? If I really need more than two, would it support a USB hub?
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#7 OFFLINE   akhicks

akhicks

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

if you have a bc ps3 then you can hook up a card reader. and what is sacd? also i thought they stopped making the 80 gig for a while. just wondering also if it helps, i only paid $400 for my used 60 gig. and the bc wasnt a deal breaker for me either, i also have a ps2 (the old fat one) but the upconvert the ps3 does to the ps2 games is nice but it makes some games look like dookie. all in all as long as you have a ps3 then your on the winning team.

#8 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

I have a 30 and 60.

I find that the hardwire ethernet of the 30 takes downloads faster than the wireless on the 60. Both my units have the hardware decoding for PS2 built in, but I have not heard how well the software PS2 emulation works on the 80.

I do not have flash card readers on the 30, and I never use the ones on the 60. I use USB HDD and Mem sticks once in awhile so I like having 4 USB ports.

Beyond that I upgraded my internal HDD on the 30 to 160gb. So the only other difference between my two units is that the 60 has a chrome fascia around the disk slot where as the 30 is all piano black.

#9 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

what is sacd?...... all in all as long as you have a ps3 then your on the winning team.

SACD is Super Audio CD. They discontinued the 80GB prior to the announcement of the MGS4 Bundle. Source: Gizmodo. Regarding being on the winning team... ok I'll bite. I have a DS! :D

Jason,

When do you feel the need to use/connect an external USB HDD? Can it act as storage for purchases, DLC, and installs?

#10 OFFLINE   akhicks

akhicks

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

well ive never seen a super audio cd. and (winning team) im just pokin a stick tryin to stir the pot :grin:

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

Jason,

When do you feel the need to use/connect an external USB HDD? Can it act as storage for purchases, DLC, and installs?

I use it to back up my system, save files, and purchased downloads.

I originally started using an EHDD before I upgraded the HDD on the 30.... To store demos and purchases because I was out of disk space. But now I only use it for backups.

#12 OFFLINE   Rankor

Rankor

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

Anybody buying the 80 solely for backwards compatibility should use this link to make sure that the games they want to play work. http://www.us.playst...ompatibleStatus A bunch of ps2 games seem to have glitches of some kind on the 80 due to software emulation. The older 60 had hardware backwards compatibility. Also there are no playstation controller ports for older controllers.

#13 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

I have been thinking about getting a ps3 if I find a 60 GB model will it work with all my ps2 and ps1 games? Also, does it have the ports for the older controllers?

#14 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

I have been thinking about getting a ps3 if I find a 60 GB model will it work with all my ps2 and ps1 games? Also, does it have the ports for the older controllers?

The 60GB model is about 95% backwards compatible (meaning about 95% of the PS2 and original Playstation software should run on the box). The few games that won't run on the 60GB model are fairly obscure titles (from what I've heard/been told) and not likely something that is all that popular.

The 80GB model (not out currently, due to be released middle to end part of this coming week) will be mostly using software emulation for backwards compatibility and come in around 80% or so backwards compatible. See the list/information linked above for information on what titles you might have good or bad luck with if you get one of those models.

The current 40GB models don't promise *any* backwards compatibility so you definitely want to avoid those if you have old software you want to use.

Personally I'm glad I got the 60GB unit that I bought originally, even though I don't play many games on it. I figured that having access to the largest library of titles would mean I didn't much have to worry about finding something I might want to play and then finding out it wasn't compatible with my system.

I just picked up a 40GB model to use in my bedroom, primarily as a Blu-ray player. For that unit I went cheap because of the current Wal-mart free "$100 gift card" offer (I got it price matched at Best Buy so I was able to get reward zone points and use up some coupons and gift cards that I had for Best Buy). Knowing that there's pretty much no chance I'd be playing games on the box, I didn't mind losing the backwards compatibility and saving $$ on the purchase. If I waited a week or two I'd have to spend $100 more up front and have no guarantee that I'd have gotten the price match to get the box.

The MGS4 (Metal Gear Solid 4) bundles look nice for all you get, but I have little or no interest in that game, and again, just from the perspective of cash out of pocket, the 40GB model was a lot less expensive for now.

Edited to add: the only problem with the thought of getting a 60GB model is that they are getting harder and harder to find. They were discontinued some time back and once initial stocks sold weren't replenished. If you find one somewhere it is well worth snapping up :up:

#15 OFFLINE   jprafter

jprafter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I have the 60GB, I didn't know about differences when I bought it. I guess I was lucky because I like the SACD playback. Here is a link I found helpful, it details hardware difference in a chart down the page:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...