Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA Conflicts Not Being Resolved

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fr3nch13

fr3nch13

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

Anyone else having problems with the ViP 722 not resolving OTA conflicts correctly? For instance on Tuesday Amercian Gladiators was on from 8-9:30 and Dancing With the Stars on from 8-9. The scheduler (not sure what its actually called) said that BOTH OTA broadcasts would record. Obviously it is not able to record two channels off of the same tuner. This only started recently.

Normally, the box would choose the highest priority on the OTA channel, forcing the lower priority one to say that it was skipped. This would then cause the SD "backup" (only get SD locals from Dish :( ) to kick in. But because the shedule says that both will record OTA this backup doesn't record.

I contacted tech support and they said they would "summit a request to our engineers".

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

I've seen this bug before an in the past the only way to fix it was to delete and re-create the timer that thinks it's firing but doesn't actually fire. The 2 or 3 times I've seen this over the years I believe it's the lower priority timer I've had to nuke and recreate.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

Anyone else having problems with the ViP 722 not resolving OTA conflicts correctly? For instance on Tuesday Amercian Gladiators was on from 8-9:30 and Dancing With the Stars on from 8-9. The scheduler (not sure what its actually called) said that BOTH OTA broadcasts would record. Obviously it is not able to record two channels off of the same tuner. This only started recently.

Normally, the box would choose the highest priority on the OTA channel, forcing the lower priority one to say that it was skipped. This would then cause the SD "backup" (only get SD locals from Dish :( ) to kick in. But because the shedule says that both will record OTA this backup doesn't record.

I contacted tech support and they said they would "summit a request to our engineers".

:welcome_s

This happened to me only once. Given your example, my experience was the 8 - 9 program recorded and the last 30 minutes of the 8 - 9:30 recorded. As I said, this only happened once and I chalked it up to "weirdness".
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

Normally, the box would choose the highest priority on the OTA channel, forcing the lower priority one to say that it was skipped. This would then cause the SD "backup" (only get SD locals from Dish :( ) to kick in. But because the shedule says that both will record OTA this backup doesn't record. ...

No disagreement here, however I was not aware that if an OTA scheduled recording was skipped by priority that the 722/622 would attempt to record the skipped timer from the Sat.

Is this correct?

#5 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

No disagreement here, however I was not aware that if an OTA scheduled recording was skipped by priority that the 722/622 would attempt to record the skipped timer from the Sat.

Is this correct?

No, the ViP622/722 will not 'automatically' record a DishHD or DishSD version of a show if the OTA is skipped by priority. You can however get the ViP622/722 to do this by setting up multiple timers, which is what I do.

For a number of timers where I potentially have overlapping OTA timers I will setup 'backup' DishHD timers of the same shows at a lower priority. This way if the OTA timer is skipped by priority the DishHD timer will kick in. It's worked well for me.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

No, the ViP622/722 will not 'automatically' record a DishHD or DishSD version of a show if the OTA is skipped by priority. You can however get the ViP622/722 to do this by setting up multiple timers, which is what I do.

For a number of timers where I potentially have overlapping OTA timers I will setup 'backup' DishHD timers of the same shows at a lower priority. This way if the OTA timer is skipped by priority the DishHD timer will kick in. It's worked well for me.

Rob. Thanks for confirming my understanding of how the timers work.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have all my locals set this way as well. Works great.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   fr3nch13

fr3nch13

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll try deleting the offending timers to see if it fixes it.

#9 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

This is one of the bugs. It doens't handle timer compares of shows of differing lengths very well. I opened an issue with Dish back in October for this. Still no resolution.

"Thank you for your email. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They will try to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time and these issues are usually fixed in a software update. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available."

There are two different kinds of timers. The default will not check for the show to show up on another channel. But a dish pass might. I say might, because I still have not figured out exactly what the logic is and how it works in the real world!
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

This is one of the bugs. It doens't handle timer compares of shows of differing lengths very well. I opened an issue with Dish back in October for this. Still no resolution.

"Thank you for your email. Thank you for providing the information for our engineering department. They will try to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we do not have a status report for this situation at this time and these issues are usually fixed in a software update. Please remember to turn off your receiver when you are not watching TV, so that it can receive the update when it becomes available."

There are two different kinds of timers. The default will not check for the show to show up on another channel. But a dish pass might. I say might, because I still have not figured out exactly what the logic is and how it works in the real world!

A Dish Pass will check all the subscribed channels for the program. Now, what happens when it finds one and it conflicts with an entry already in the schedule is another question. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

One note on the backup timer configuration... Though Rob and TulsaOK have been successful with this configuration, I personally have ran into some weirdness with that method. In a number of occasions, it appears to be correct when I create a timer but after the night update both show as not recording from time to time.

Rob and I have had this conversations about this configuration from time to time and we definitely get different results. I am not sure if the reason for this is different use cases or the sequence of steps we each do, but I am definitely have not gotten what I would consider the expected results that Rob describes.

I would suggest give it a try and monitor the timers closely for a while to make sure things appear to be healthy. I to have seen the OTA issues described by the OP but have not yet been able to place a finger on the root cause.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...