Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Replacement Rumor?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dj5

dj5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

Dish picked up my 942 today and replaced with a new 722. They also replace the dish 500 with a dish 1000. Suppose to be no change in fees or service.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Been waiting years for the free upgrade from my 921 to a 622. Strange thing is, they also want to upgrade my 721 to a 522. Is that also because of MPEG2 obsolescence ?

MPEG2 obsolescence is one driver. The other is the TIVO lawsuit for DVRs.
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#43 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

What happens to our 921 Aug 1? Does it become a doorstop? or will it continue to work - just not receive hd?

The replacement call we received said we could keep it to use as standard def receiver, pay one cent more a month and receive the 622 unit for expanded high def programming for the 622.

Then, we were asked for our credit card info so they could place a $1.00 fee on it for 3 days - and that would change our 921 from owned to leased. Since we already pay via credit card autopay, husband thought that was a trick, since caller id showed "private caller" so we passed on the offer.

Was this legit? Has anyone else had this variation of replacement call?
And, most importantly, will the learning curve for the 622 be quick? I love the ease of operation of the 921 (minus the freezes, black screeens, reboots, etc.)

and is my 921 a doorstop on Aug 1 or was the agent correct that it will continue to work (haha) - as a two tuner standard def dvr?

thanks,
doxieland

#44 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:08 PM

It should work for SD.
I would initiate a call with Dish for security reasons even though your credit card number is not available to these agents.
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#45 OFFLINE   Alsat

Alsat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

I have a 6000, but am not receiving any HD channels. I can see 119, but not any other satellite. If I upgrade, will the lnb need to be upgraded too, or just the reciever?

#46 OFFLINE   penguin44

penguin44

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

Having issues seeing 119. Anyone else having these issues?

#47 OFFLINE   Ashh

Ashh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Im a tech and for the last week we have got a bunch of calls to replace 811 with 211.If your getting one of these replaced make sure to tell your tech to change your HD package. Around here most of the people I have done so far have dishHD which is 9.99 a month and like 5 channels. For a penny more you can get dish essentials and have about 28 channels.

#48 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

The main real cost is if you have two HD receivers in the old packaging and go to the new packaging, the 2nd receiver cost goes up to $7 from $5, and we are losing HDNet Movies in the basic HD packaging

But old MPEG2 HD customers can now get a deal to switch with no costs it seems.

Rasheed

#49 OFFLINE   Donp

Donp

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

I just got my 811 replaced by a VIP-211 and I told the installer that I wanted to keep my 811 and apply it to a seconf TV. When the installer was talking to the Dish guy he told hin that and then the installer handed his phone to me and the Dish guy told me that the 811 would not be supported after and "do dark" at the end of July. "That was why they (Dish) were offering the free upgrade." That was what the Dish guy on the phone said. So I turned in my old 811 for $10.00 off my first bill.

#50 OFFLINE   Alsat

Alsat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

I just got my 811 replaced by a VIP-211 and I told the installer that I wanted to keep my 811 and apply it to a seconf TV. When the installer was talking to the Dish guy he told hin that and then the installer handed his phone to me and the Dish guy told me that the 811 would not be supported after and "do dark" at the end of July. "That was why they (Dish) were offering the free upgrade." That was what the Dish guy on the phone said. So I turned in my old 811 for $10.00 off my first bill.

I called about getting my 6000 replaced. An installer has to do it, they will not ship the receiver out and let me swap them. The 211 will be leased and they must have a credit card on file as they do not trust me to return it if I cancel service. The only thing "going dark" according to the CSR will be HD channels, the 6000 will continue to receive SD channels fine.

As I do not receive any HD channels as it is, I did not see an upside to replacing the receiver.

#51 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

I just got off the phone with dish and since I own my 921 I get to keep the 921 to use as an sd dual tuner receiver but they are sending me a leased 622 for free. Also, the additional receiver fee for HD receivers is going up by $2 so I'm going to be paying $7 for this receiver instead of $5. As you may know your primary HD receiver has no additional receiver charge but all your extra HD receivers are now $7 a month instead of $5 like your SD receivers.

Because of my package I won't need to pay a *lease* fee so after this is done I get to use a 622 receiver free of charge but will need to pay $2 extra a month because of the higher additional receiver charge but I feel it's worth it since the 921 is a pain in the butt sometimes and my current 622 works fantastic. So I don't mind having 2 622's.

BTW, I did not have to extend any commitments to dish to get this new 622 which was important to me since Verizon FIOS will be coming soon to my area and that service interests me.

#52 OFFLINE   sluggo

sluggo

Legend

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

Been waiting years for the free upgrade from my 921 to a 622. Strange thing is, they also want to upgrade my 721 to a 522. Is that also because of MPEG2 obsolescence ?

not positive about the "MPEG2 obsolescence", but i just replaced my 721 fora 522 over the weekend. No DVR fee, no phone line fee. Both are waived. Yes it is a leased receiver, but then again, if it fails at least it has a years warranty which the 721 does not due to the age of the box.

#53 OFFLINE   worldtrvlr

worldtrvlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Before you do the "free" upgrade from a DVR 942 to a VIP622 or VIP722, be aware that it's not actually "free". If you own your 942, you will now be charged the $7.00 lease fee for the new receiver. Following is my experience so far with this situation:

I was the owner of a DVR 942. I received a post card from Dish telling me I needed to call 1-888-383-3727 to do a FREE* HD receiver upgrade, due to changes to the HD programming, and that if I did not participate, I would lose my HD programming. No where on the card did it say I would be charged a lease fee for the new DVR.

I called the number and spoke with a representative who assured me I would not be charged the lease fee, since my 942 was an owned, and not leased, receiver. She also said I would get a VIP622 and a new dish to pick up the new channels, and assured me I could keep my 942 to use as a standard DVR.

Well, today the installer came and installed all of the equipment and I actually got a VIP722 rather then the 622. Before he left, I asked him where my DVR 942 was. He said it was in his truck. I told him I was supposed to be able to keep it, but he showed me his work order which stated that he is to take it with him and that I would need to contact Dish to discuss that with them. He also stated that it would stop working altogether once the change is made to the programming. I figured since I was getting a much better receiver and no lease fee, and if it won't work later, I'd let him keep it.

Well, I called Dish to change my HD package and was told my bill was going up by $7 per motnh. The change was due to the lease fee on the new receiver. Fortunately, I had the name and rep ID of the representative who signed me up for the upgrade, and stated that I was told there would be no lease fee since I had an owned receiver. He called another department and apparently got approval to credit the charge for a year.

After reading some of these posts, it looks like others have also been told they can continue to use their old equipment as a standard DVR as well, so I called tech support about my 942. The first time, I was disconnected while the rep read through my notes. I called back and got a very nice person who was willing to double check on whether the 942 can continue to be used as a standard DVR. After verifying the information, he came back and said that in fact I can use it at a standard defenition DVR. I asked him how to get my owned 942 back, since the installer insisted on taking it with him. The rep called the "hub" department, who was supposed to call the installer so I could get my dish back. Three hours later, I still haven't heard anything back from the installer. I called dish back and got another rep who said that my 942 wouldn't function, but agreed that I should be able to keep it since I own it. She checked and as it turns out, it WILL still receive standard def channels. She called the Hub department and was told that an e-mail was sent and it takes up to 3 days to find the receiver in the warehouse.

Finally, I decided to check caller ID, remembering that the installer called me to tell me he would be late. I told him that I verified with Dish that I can keep the 942 receiver and it WILL receive standard def channels. He said he would bring it back to me, and hung up on me. Somehow, I'm sure he won't return it an I'll end up having to escalate further with Dish to get my receiver back.

Let this be a warning.....DO NOT give the installer your old DVR if you own it, cause you'll only get $10 from Dish for it, and be prepared for the new lease fee on the "free" upgrade.

#54 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

I never take a receiver if it's owned - much less paperwork for me! And let this be a lesson to installers, NEVER call a customer from your phone, always let your dispatch do it! :P *jk*
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#55 OFFLINE   JPC

JPC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

Let me see if I have this figured out...

As a 921 owner, I get to keep what I own and am being offered a new leased 622/722 for $7 per month. The new receiver is not an option if I would like to continue to watch HD programming.

Am I missing something or is this really not a promotion at all?
Dish DVR 921

other equipment:
(2) 311, (1) 510
NEC HT510 [YPbPr]
SB-5470 4x2 HDTV switcher
Super Dish
Channel Master CM3010 StealthTenna

#56 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Before you do the "free" upgrade from a DVR 942 to a VIP622 or VIP722, be aware that it's not actually "free". If you own your 942, you will now be charged the $7.00 lease fee for the new receiver. Following is my experience so far with this situation:

Just to clarify, yes, the receiver will be leased. if it is the only receiver or the primary receiver on the account, there will be no lease fee. if the 921 or 942 was a non-primary receiver on the account, then you will see a $5.00 additional outlet charge or lease fee (depending on if you owned or rented the old receiver) drop off the account, and a $7.00 lease fee added to the account. So, at most you will see a $2.00 increase in your monthly charges for the new receiver. If you own the old receiver, you are not required to return it, but may for a $10.00 credit. After all the MPEG-2 HD is taken down, they will still work, just will not receive HD programming.

#57 OFFLINE   golazo

golazo

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

Just to clarify, yes, the receiver will be leased. if it is the only receiver or the primary receiver on the account, there will be no lease fee. if the 921 or 942 was a non-primary receiver on the account, then you will see a $5.00 additional outlet charge or lease fee (depending on if you owned or rented the old receiver) drop off the account, and a $7.00 lease fee added to the account. So, at most you will see a $2.00 increase in your monthly charges for the new receiver. If you own the old receiver, you are not required to return it, but may for a $10.00 credit. After all the MPEG-2 HD is taken down, they will still work, just will not receive HD programming.

It seems the Dish website isn't explicitly clear whether the add'l outlet receiver
($5) fee applies to leased receivers also?

Since I own all my 811 boxes, I never went through the "free" upgrades in the
past. Is it really "free" when you are paying the $7 lease fee on each non-primary receiver ?

It's like the car dealer is offering you a free upgrade on your car, and you still
pay $800 leasing the new bmw ...

So do all you leasing people pay $7 + $5 = $12 for each non-primary receiver / month ?

Thanks.

#58 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

It seems the Dish website isn't explicitly clear whether the add'l outlet receiver
($5) fee applies to leased receivers also?

Since I own all my 811 boxes, I never went through the "free" upgrades in the
past. Is it really "free" when you are paying the $7 lease fee on each non-primary receiver ?

It's like the car dealer is offering you a free upgrade on your car, and you still
pay $800 leasing the new bmw ...

So do all you leasing people pay $7 + $5 = $12 for each non-primary receiver / month ?

Thanks.

No you just pay $7 which is comprised of $5 for the normal additional receiver fee plus $2 for it's HD capability.
Although on the bill the line item just says $7 for a "Leased Receiver Fee". So effectively I only pay $2 more when I moved from my 921 to the new 722.

#59 OFFLINE   scaesare

scaesare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

So is Dish replacing leased 942's with MPEG4 capable boxes?

I got a call a month back scheduling to do that for me free of charge (but probably a new lease commitment).

They then had to cancel the appointment and I've not heard back. I'm going to call them soon, but thought I'd find out what's been happening with people...

#60 OFFLINE   Jason Kragt

Jason Kragt

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

I have an active 942 but never received a call.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...