Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Replacement Rumor?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Dish is replacing 921s and 942s with ViP622s, and 811s with ViP211s. The upgrade is free, the new receiver will be leased, there is no commitment, but for many, a tech visit is required to add support for 129 or 61.5 to your system so it will be capable of receiving HD programming.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   JPC

JPC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

My 921 was replaced with a leased 722. My Super Dish was replaced with two Dish 500: one for 110, 119 and one for 61.5. Two DP34 were replaced with one DP44.

No charge for anything and no contract renewal or "dishin-it-up" required. 722 so far, is excellent. There's occasional pixellation, (mostly on TWC) but overall the picture and signal quality is very good.

#63 OFFLINE   rjs

rjs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:12 AM

This is what a rep told me this morning online in response to my question about replacement of my owned 811 & dishplayer 7100:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Grace W.
(03) Grace W: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Randy : ok.
(03) Grace W: Thank you.
(03) Grace W: Thank you for your patience.
(03) Grace W: If you do not want to lease the receiver than the only option is you can purchase the HD receiver.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
Network connection re-established.
Randy : Do you mean I will have to buy a new one to receive programming?
(03) Grace W: Yes.
(03) Grace W: You can get the programming with the receivers that you have on your account.
(03) Grace W: To get the HD programming you have to add new HD receiver.
Randy : I read where they are to be discontinued.
Randy : the 811&7100
(03) Grace W: I am sorry, I did not understand.
(03) Grace W: You can restart the services with the receivers that you have on your account.
(03) Grace W: Do you have the equipment?
Randy : because of the switch over to new encoding.
Randy : my old equipment will be obsolete?
Randy : Thanks for your help
(03) Grace W: Is there another issue that I may assist you with?
(03) Grace W: You're very welcome.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

#64 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

This is what a rep told me this morning online in response to my question about replacement of my owned 811 & dishplayer 7100:

See this thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=140515

#65 OFFLINE   rjs

rjs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

See this thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=140515

yep I saw it. Guess I'll call dish and hope to get a different responce.

#66 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Given the quick obsolecence of electronic equipment, why own? Either way, they charge a lease fee or an access fee for owned equipment.
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#67 OFFLINE   rjs

rjs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

I just like the idea of ownership even if some say its just an illusion, it's better than rent (never own)!

#68 OFFLINE   tthomps

tthomps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

After almost daily phone messages from Dish, I upgraded my 921 to 722. The 722 was brought in place of a 622 and the dish was upgraded to 1000.2 I had installed the 921 four years ago, upgrading the LNBs, repositioning the dish in the yard (on a cemented metal pole and off of the wooded one), and using quad-shielded RG6 wiring. A DP34 switch output two lines to the 921 and one line to a 301. The 921 worked almost flawlessly for us. About once a month, it started to slow down, and one of us would do a front panel warm boot. Dish gave me $10 for it. Alternatively, I could have taken it to our county recycling center that would have wanted $15 to haul it away.

The 722 is an improvement, but we do not have a HDTV to take full advantage of the upgrade. The menu is much faster, and I seem to have less pixelization on my OTA channels (my favorite OTA local channel is broadcasting its digital in the VHS range at the tower 65 miles away). We do not use PIP, so I piped the TV2 output to a SDTV LCD in another room. So, we gained a 2nd TV when we are not using tuner 2 to record. I made no change to my Dish package, so our bill stays the same. And supposedly, I will not be charge the $7 lease fee for the 722. I will see on the next bill.
Todd
VIP722
DP301

#69 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hi -
I am feeling lonely here. Does anyone still have the 921? the 622 replacement is in place; dish left our 921 active as a standard def dual tuner (and it's still just as evil-behaving as it had been, maybe more so, even though it's moved to a "casual" use bedroom)

did anyone else try keeping the 921 active? anyone know how long before it becomes totally non-functional so I can plan for the eventual replacement for it.

We turned off a 301 to keep the 921 so we'd have dvr technology; however without constant checking and rebooting, it won't record the timers now.

What will a dual tuner standard def replacement option be and how expensive? And how long do I have before I need to make that change?

thanks for any info/help!

doxieland

#70 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

I got rid of my 921 many moons ago but kept the 721 active. Just checked today and it will only get Nasa and Congratulations you have a Dish 500. Guess I better call and have it removed from my active receivers list at Dish. I wonder if they will do it automatically since they now have disabled it.

I had planned to keep it going for OTA but it doesn't work for that now either.

Have you tried your 921 today?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#71 OFFLINE   doxieland

doxieland

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

I got rid of my 921 many moons ago but kept the 721 active. Just checked today and it will only get Nasa and Congratulations you have a Dish 500. Guess I better call and have it removed from my active receivers list at Dish. I wonder if they will do it automatically since they now have disabled it.

I had planned to keep it going for OTA but it doesn't work for that now either.

Have you tried your 921 today?

Yes, as of nov 1 08, 1:30pm edt - 921 still struggling along. wouldn't it be nice if "they" could provide information regarding the demise timeline - and what's happening - instead of the vague someday.....

we are/were also hoping to use the OTA on 921 after "the end" but guess that won't be an option either.

thanks for your info,
doxieland

#72 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Yes, as of nov 1 08, 1:30pm edt - 921 still struggling along. wouldn't it be nice if "they" could provide information regarding the demise timeline - and what's happening - instead of the vague someday.....

I'm fairly sure it depends upon how long the smart card upgrades end up taking as well as trying to get all the old receivers replaced.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#73 OFFLINE   zubee

zubee

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

On the bill the line item just says $7 for a "Leased Receiver Fee". So effectively I only pay $2 more when I moved from my 921 to the new 722.

spam firewall