Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

722 upgrade Phone solicitation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stolirocks

stolirocks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

Last night I received a phone solitation for a free upgrade of my 622 to a 722 and reduce my monthly Advantage 250 subscription by about $10 from some Sat contractor. All that is required is a 1 or 2 yr contract. They told me I would have to start a new subscription with a different name on the account and cancel my old account. That I would also get a $80 rebate from D in two statements for the one year commitment. I stalled them by asking them to call me back tomorrow for another family members ID information. I called DN and they said they know nothing about any upgrade promotions.

Should I even be considering this? It sounds very shady.:confused:

Thanks for any advise

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Last night I received a phone solitation for a free upgrade of my 622 to a 722 and reduce my monthly Advantage 250 subscription by about $10 from some Sat contractor. All that is required is a 1 or 2 yr contract. They told me I would have to start a new subscription with a different name on the account and cancel my old account. That I would also get a $80 rebate from D in two statements for the one year commitment. I stalled them by asking them to call me back tomorrow for another family members ID information. I called DN and they said they know nothing about any upgrade promotions.

Thanks for any advise

Yes, it sounds fishy. Any promotions would come from E* or from their authorized dealers. I would keep an eye out. BTW:

E* - Echostar (Dish)
D* - DirectTV
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

The "cancel my old account" is a dead giveaway that "something" is shady. I would gather all the information (company name, caller ID number) and forward it to ceo@echostar.com
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   EVAC41

EVAC41

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

The "cancel my old account" is a dead giveaway that "something" is shady. I would gather all the information (company name, caller ID number) and forward it to ceo@echostar.com

dito... I smell something really fishy. :eek2: Like trying to get you to give them your account number and or something else for them to get free service and you paying for it. If you get this again i would do what Bill R said Email ceo@echostar.com right away.

#5 OFFLINE   asher

asher

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

dito... I smell something really fishy. :eek2: Like trying to get you to give them your account number and or something else for them to get free service and you paying for it. If you get this again i would do what Bill R said Email ceo@echostar.com right away.

I've gotten this kind of call as well. They tried to get me to give them a credit card number, and I refused (would YOU give a credit card number to somebody who called you just because they claimed they were from Dish?) This led to lots of hemming and hawing and finally I hung up. They called back a few minutes later and said it was OK, they didn't really need it. I finally agreed to the deal, at which point it came out that I needed to cancel my old account and open a new one because Dish was offering the deal only for new subscribers.

At this point, I asked, "Then who are you?" They said, "We're Dish Networks". I said "But you just said that Dish Networks was offering this only to new subscribers, and yet you're offering it to me!" They couldn't adequately explain that one, so I finally told them to go away. Very shady indeed.

#6 OFFLINE   stolirocks

stolirocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thanks all for your input, my bill is so high right now, I have to consider all options. They said the name of their company was Dish Direct and that they work for D*. The only thing they asked for was a SS number, which is where I stopped them. They probably would have asked for the account # and more. But they did emphasize there was no costs upfront.

When I called D* and discussed the whole offer including the closing & opening of accounts the CSR got off the phone to check with someone, but did not seem interested on further discussion about the offer after she returned. She did not say this was against any of their policies, but did say I should not take the offer.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

Social Security number?? Definitely something not even worth pursuing.. Too much risk and given the fact an account is closed and new one created is a huge red flag.... LIke my momma use to say... "If a deal sounds to good to be true, most of the time it is too good to be true".
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:47 PM

We have been sent to do DirecTV installs for DishNetwork customers whose original retailers called them once their original commitment expired and explained that they could be given "free upgrades". What the retailer failed to mention to the customer was that the "free upgrade" involved switching to DirecTV. The customer was expecting newer Dish Network equipment, and had international programming that wasn't available on DirecTV.

Needless to say, she wasn't happy with the retailer.

#9 OFFLINE   stolirocks

stolirocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

Sorry..... I was referring to Dishnetwork E* not D*

#10 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

I did the same thing 3 years ago. E* would not budge on a new 622. Got a call from a 3rd party company and they got me a 622 (with 2 rebates, free install and a free DVD player.) E* or D* will ask for a social security number to do a credit check. This is normal. Not to say you should just give out this info, but you should check the company out with the BBB and see what they say. I also called E* and validated they were a current authorized seller/installer.

Saved me almost $30.00 a month for the same programming plus not getting stuck with a $300.00 bill for a 622.

E* treats their current customers like crap when it comes to upgrades. It's a hassle, but I think you can get a better price doing this and I would not hesitate to do it again.:)

Thanks for any advise

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#11 OFFLINE   stolirocks

stolirocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

I did the same thing 3 years ago. E* would not budge on a new 622. Got a call from a 3rd party company and they got me a 622 (with 2 rebates, free install and a free DVD player.) E* or D* will ask for a social security number to do a credit check. This is normal. Not to say you should just give out this info, but you should check the company out with the BBB and see what they say. I also called E* and validated they were a current authorized seller/installer.

Saved me almost $30.00 a month for the same programming plus not getting stuck with a $300.00 bill for a 622.

E* treats their current customers like crap when it comes to upgrades. It's a hassle, but I think you can get a better price doing this and I would not hesitate to do it again.:)

That's a great deal, glad to hear it worked out. Well, I took your advise & checked BBB, no complaints 11 yrs. It looks like I wouldn't be saving anything near that amount though. And I would be trading a 622 that I have been satisfied with for a 722 of ? soundness. They told me they would be installing only the receivers and no dish. This is where I think they make their money. Now the other thing that is bugging me is I asked who closes the existing account, she said it is automaticly closed. And for some reason I have been under the impression I would have to return my Lnbs along with my recievers, if the account was closed. These are things I would want to straighten out before I coult try this.

#12 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

The "dealer" who is offering this is not to be trusted. This is very much against Dish rules and dealer rules. What the dealer is doing is stealing, not only from Dish, but from the dealer who did the original sales and install at your house. Your original dealer is getting paid a VERY small amount each month for the programming that you pay for. If this "dealer" is able to get you to switch, not only does he get paid a commission on the switch, but, he also gets the monthly (residuals) payment that should go to the original dealer. If you bought direct from Dish originally then the "dealer" is getting money that should be going to Dish. I consider this theft.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#13 OFFLINE   stolirocks

stolirocks

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

I see what your saying. Guess you cannot I trust anyone....

I originally ordered directly from Dish. My billing has steadily gone up. I and everyone is forced to pay for programing of which 70% we do not watch. Why do I have to pay for programing that Dish tells me I have to subscribe to?

Why was I paying monthly for HD and told I would be receiving HD broadcasts in my NBA packaging that would increase over time. But instead they doubled the cost of HD packaging to include the NBA without even notifing me and increased broadcasts only slightly from last season. Many days not even broadcasting one game in HD during the season. Why was'nt I aware about their surcharge for hooking up EHD before hand.

Does E* have any program where existing customers can upgrade their equipment at reasonable costs. If they kept their customers happy I'm sure these 3rd party companies who are also their authorized dealers would not need to take advantage of glitches in their policy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...