Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If 622 is replaced, does external hard drive work on new one?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   computerdoc

computerdoc

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

Distinct whining sound coming from my 2 year old 622. Very loud and distracting. I suspect the hard drive or some electronic component is failing. If Dish replaces the 622, will the 500GB external hard drive that I have full of recordings from this 622 work with the replacement? Anyone have any experience with having this problem and dealing with Dish on hardware problems of this sort?:eek2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Yes, the external HD and the recordings on it will work with a replacement 622/722.

#3 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Distinct whining sound coming from my 2 year old 622. Very loud and distracting. I suspect the hard drive or some electronic component is failing. If Dish replaces the 622, will the 500GB external hard drive that I have full of recordings from this 622 work with the replacement? Anyone have any experience with having this problem and dealing with Dish on hardware problems of this sort?:eek2:

The whining started when L4.49 was released. A lot of us have reported here on that. Apparently the internal fans have been set to run more often than in previous software releases. I wouldn't take that as a sign of impending failure.

To my knowledge, any replacement 622 you get should recognize your EHD. The USB port should arrive already activated. If I have this wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me on it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

The whining started when L4.49 was released. A lot of us have reported here on that. Apparently the internal fans have been set to run more often than in previous software releases. I wouldn't take that as a sign of impending failure.

To my knowledge, any replacement 622 you get should recognize your EHD. The USB port should arrive already activated. If I have this wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me on it.

I would make sure that the Household key was set; not zeros, before I connected the EHD.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:01 AM

Somehow my 622 lost it's association with my EHD. It says if I activate it all the existing recordings will be deleted. Is there a way to correct that without loosing everything?
Gary

#6 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

Somehow my 622 lost it's association with my EHD. It says if I activate it all the existing recordings will be deleted. Is there a way to correct that without loosing everything?

It will not erase recordings.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#7 OFFLINE   computerdoc

computerdoc

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

When I did a search of the forum I didn't find much referring to a whining sound. Could you point me to the threads? Also, in general, is there a fix for it?
TIA

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

He probably mean that noise from a fan; regarding L4.49 - I wouldn't blame it, I saw 622 working fine, no fan noise because it off all the time exclude morning reboots.
Pretty sure his DVR sit in tight closet, no ventilation and been overheated. Replacing 622 will not help him.

#9 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Not sure what error code you have with this warning but it MAY erase everything. Take a look about the 588 error message on these threads. I got a similar message and was told by several people and 3 CSRs that it would NOT erase my hard drive. I did some searching and learned about getting a "hit" from E* which fixes the problem by reassigning a household key to your EHDs. Anyway worked like a charm for me and I know for a fact several people did lose ALL of their programming by agreeing to the error message. My advice, connect your EHD, call E* and ask for a "hit" to be sent to your receiver. They will know what it means. 2 minutes later everything should be fine.

#10 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

Not sure what error code you have with this warning but it MAY erase everything. Take a look about the 588 error message on these threads. I got a similar message and was told by several people and 3 CSRs that it would NOT erase my hard drive. I did some searching and learned about getting a "hit" from E* which fixes the problem by reassigning a household key to your EHDs. Anyway worked like a charm for me and I know for a fact several people did lose ALL of their programming by agreeing to the error message. My advice, connect your EHD, call E* and ask for a "hit" to be sent to your receiver. They will know what it means. 2 minutes later everything should be fine.

Thanks. I'll give them a call tonight when I get home.
Gary

Protected By... spam firewall...And...