Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-21 Extremely slow all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hawkman427

hawkman427

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

We have had this unit for quite awhile now, one of the first off the block. About a month ago things started to crawl - push pause and wait 30 seconds, hit FF and it never stops, hit guide and it appears 20 seconds later. I am not exaggerating. It was slightler slower than my previous DTV HD unit, but I accepted that. Now it is at times (happens sporatically) beyond belief.

I called DTV and they said they knew about it and they were working on a fix. Yea - they also told me this area would have HD local channels in a month - that was 2 years ago.

Had anyone else seen this drastic slowdown in the last month? Once again - I know it is slow to start with, and I know it is not the remote. Email me if this has happened to you or if you know of any existing threads on this subject.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

We have had this unit for quite awhile now, one of the first off the block. About a month ago things started to crawl - push pause and wait 30 seconds, hit FF and it never stops, hit guide and it appears 20 seconds later. I am not exaggerating. It was slightler slower than my previous DTV HD unit, but I accepted that. Now it is at times (happens sporatically) beyond belief.

I called DTV and they said they knew about it and they were working on a fix. Yea - they also told me this area would have HD local channels in a month - that was 2 years ago.

Had anyone else seen this drastic slowdown in the last month? Once again - I know it is slow to start with, and I know it is not the remote. Email me if this has happened to you or if you know of any existing threads on this subject. wharmor@frontiernet.net

Thanks.

No, you should not be seeing this kind of slow down.

Sounds like a bad drive to me. You probably need to call DirecTV and have it replaced.

By the way, welcome to DBSTalk!

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Why do you want people to email you? can't they just post here in the thread?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

If this is the case then there are are number of very flaky HR21s out there. I have times (maybe once per week) where pressing any button on either the remote or the front panel appears to do nothing and the between 45 seconds to 2 minutes later, the unit begins to respond to the stacked up key presses. This showed up with one of the newer NRs. I see it in 22D.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#5 OFFLINE   JonW

JonW

Icon

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Yes, I've seen it. It didn't start until the previous national release for me.

Reboot and you should be fine for a little while.

It's possibly exacerbated by signal loss such as caused by rain fade. I'm not sure they ever worked out the bugs related to dropped signal.

#6 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

Reboot and you should be fine for a little while.

I had that problem a few weeks ago. I rebooted and everything was fine.

#7 OFFLINE   hawkman427

hawkman427

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

It does come and go. Just never had it happen with any of my previous units. In comparison I think that DTV gave itself a black eye when it dumped TIVO for this piece of crap. I watched 90% of everything thru my HD OTA - now they even got rid of that that! When my stinking contract is up, unless they have made great improvements, I'm going to cable. 10 years w/DTV and they have regressed.

Also, I bought the HD package, it doesn't have most of the channels I wanted to watch in HD, so after moaning for awhile I upgraded to the next HD level for $10 more a month and I still don't get the HD channels I want (HD science etc...). Pisses me off cause I'm all ready paying around $20 a month extra for HD and what they are giving me is NOT worth it. Sorry, but I just don't sit around watching CNN in HD ALL the time!

#8 OFFLINE   gbwtfo

gbwtfo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

FWIW, I have had similar problems as of late, I'd say within the last four weeks or so (I don't know for how long now what releases that correlates to...) Although it annoys me to no end, I thought perhaps it had to do with running at 95% full most of the time. Grrrr....

Also, FWIW, I have had this unit since somewhere around September 2006, and have otherwise had no problems with it that weren't directly the result of buggy national releases (i.e., I have never downloaded a CE release).

#9 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

In comparison I think that DTV gave itself a black eye when it dumped TIVO for this piece of crap. I watched 90% of everything thru my HD OTA - now they even got rid of that that! When my stinking contract is up, unless they have made great improvements, I'm going to cable. 10 years w/DTV and they have regressed.

Can't agree more.

Hardware - Excellent & Software - (undesirable).

Too bad you can't put TiVo software on it.

DTV software lacks so much that TiVo has it's not funny.
Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

#10 OFFLINE   hawkman427

hawkman427

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

FWIW, I have had similar problems as of late, I'd say within the last four weeks or so (I don't know for how long now what releases that correlates to...) Although it annoys me to no end, I thought perhaps it had to do with running at 95% full most of the time. Grrrr....

Also, FWIW, I have had this unit since somewhere around September 2006, and have otherwise had no problems with it that weren't directly the result of buggy national releases (i.e., I have never downloaded a CE release).

Thats about the same time I started getting the big slowdowns (crawls) also, around a month or so ago. I have also had this unit almost a year. We thought it was the HD full, but cleared it out and it still happened. Reboots do temorarily fix it, but they come back.

Time will Tell. Nice to know that it's not just me having these issues.

#11 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

I had that problem a few weeks ago. I rebooted and everything was fine.

Same here. It probably is software-related; some bogus value gets put into a variable and then that function takes forever. Rebooting will clear the condition, but it may recur.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#12 OFFLINE   captainjrl

captainjrl

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Mine has been a little slower since the recent software upgrade on Thursday morning.

#13 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

Ditto ... this has been occuring intermittently on our HR20-700 for the last couple of months. It was soooo horrible 4 weeks ago that we decided to just bite the bullet and do a Full System RESET - where everything is deleted and reset to factory defaults. Of course it was a PITA to have to get all of our season passes, etc. keyed back in. It once again became slow just yesterday. - 0x22d

#14 OFFLINE   hawkman427

hawkman427

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

It's been awhile since my initial posting so I thought I'd do a follow up.

It is Worse.

That's about it. Sometimes it happens 2-3 times in one day. Sometimes to the point I have to reset it. So disappointing. I haven't called back yet because I want to be prepared for the call when I demand a new one. It wasn't exactly cheap originally!

It never seems to last long, but what a royal pain in the 'you know what' when it does happen.

#15 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

I have the same problems. If it's hardware, they better start building a lot of HR-22s.

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

hawkman & maruuk - are either of your DVRs networked? There is a known bug with networked DVRs. See here and here. This seems to be a problem especially in systems with "HP All In One" printers in the network.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#17 OFFLINE   SubSlr08

SubSlr08

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

hawkman & maruuk - are either of your DVRs networked? There is a known bug with networked DVRs. See here and here. This seems to be a problem especially in systems with "HP All In One" printers in the network.

I'm having the same problem here - and I disconnected my network days ago after seeing the above posts.
Results - absolutely no change. Sometimes it takes a minute for the HR21 to respond to a request for "Guide" and it gets even worse if I'm looking for "Episodes" or "Showings" - it's so slow that you think it's died and locked up, except for the little bar-graph running to show that it's not~!
LOL - ain't electronics fun! :P
Submariners do it deepest!
D* since 1996
HR21-100 on Slimline Dish
1tb eSATA by Cavalry
Samsung LN-S4092D 40" LCD via HDMI
CyberPower 850 VA UPS
Sony STR-DN1000 Rcvr - via Optical
Wharfedale 5.1 Spkr System

#18 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

Nope, just plain vanilla hookup.

#19 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

Had anyone else seen this drastic slowdown in the last month? Once again - I know it is slow to start with, and I know it is not the remote. Email me if this has happened to you or if you know of any existing threads on this subject.

Thanks.

Over the last several months I have noticed that my Black HR21-700 responds very slowly to remote commands and will act like this for several minutes at a time, usually once per day.

For example, if you try to change it to channel 401, it take 10 seconds to recognize the #4, never getting the 0 and 1, and then it will change to channel 4 but around a minute or two later.

It happens with any command, not just going to change channels although that's the most common thing one does with their remote.

I had recently done a full reset on the machine, setting it back to factory defaults but it still behaves the same way. I have only had the dvr in my home since November of 2007.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

#20 OFFLINE   hawkman427

hawkman427

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

I'm having the same problem here - and I disconnected my network days ago after seeing the above posts.
Results - absolutely no change. Sometimes it takes a minute for the HR21 to respond to a request for "Guide" and it gets even worse if I'm looking for "Episodes" or "Showings" - it's so slow that you think it's died and locked up, except for the little bar-graph running to show that it's not~!
LOL - ain't electronics fun! :P

Yea, I've got the same bar - it is the only clue that I even pushed a button 20 seconds ago :(

Regarding the network - yes I have it networked now, but I didn't when I started having the original problem. No printers, no computers, just an internet cable going from a router into the receiver.

I see now that I am not alone with this happening. If it is happening to anyone else please join in, we would like to know.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...