Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Vip722 hooked up to (2) SDTV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wharfrat

wharfrat

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'm thinking about making a move to Dish, and have a coupon for a free Vip722. I don't have an HDTV yet, but plan to get one within a year. Can I use this DVR with 2 non HDTV's, but still get the digital locals & (sub-channels), if
I pay for the local package? It looks like you need at least one HDTV, but the info is not clear to me. Thank You.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

That's a question you need to ask DISH Network.

In the past, they've not demonstrated an interest in accommodating what you propose. This may change substantially after the analog shut-off if they're opposed to it now.

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Yes, you can use the 722 without having a HD TV. You can connect TV1 using composit cables or an S-video cable. TV2 is always SD. However, I believe there is an additional charge if you don't order an HD package.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:30 AM

Absolutely, the 722 has SD 480i outputs for both tuners plus it has an agile modulator (sort of a small 2 channel TV transmitter) to send high dB NTSC signals to remote TVs on channels you select. All outputs are active simultaneously.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Can I use this DVR with 2 non HDTV's, but still get the digital locals & (sub-channels), if I pay for the local package?

Using two non-HD TVs wouldn't be a problem. There is the mentioned $7 fee if you don't subscribe to the HD Programming package ($10 for Essentials).

Digital locals and sub-channels could be an issue, independent of having an HDTV. To get all sub-channels, you would need to get them via an OTA antenna. HD Locals via sat would vary based on your market area (hard to identify), but USUALLY only has ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC, and a single channel for those. Paying for locals will get you Guide info for the OTA channels, and subchannels, but that also varies with market area.

#6 OFFLINE   wharfrat

wharfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for all your advice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...