Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Locals problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

I installed my new 722 yesterday, so far it seems like a great box except one problem Im having with locals. After activation I noticed that the local channels from dish were not coming in. I went through the process of scanning with my ota antenna, and found all of my digital locals. Now the digitals are showing where they should(they display Digital Signal instead of guide data), but the locals I subscribe to from dish were not. Im doing some channel surfing last night and I find my locals in the 8000's. I checked my 211 in the living room and the locals appear in the 8000s as well as mapped to the local broadcast channel number.

So my question is, how can I get the dish supplied locals to map to the correct local channel numbers. I just rebooted the receiver, and ran a test switch to see if that would help, but its still the same.

Also, how can I get the guide info to appear for the digital OTA locals. As I understand it, if I subscribe to the locals from dish it should transfer the guide data to the OTA as well. I have had the 211 for about a year now, and it displays the guide info for OTA. Is there a trick, or menu option that I am missing? Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

Menu 6-9-Chan Display controls the map down of the channels. You should automatically get the Guide data for the OTA channels when you sub to your locals. It migt take a while before it shows up but I would think a check switch test downloading a new Guide would take care of it. Try it again after you get the map down set the way you want it. Might also try rebooting the receiver.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

I have those chan display settings the same as the 211, they are set to HD&SD, and enable HD. I played with all of the options last night and could not get the channels to map down. I will try to reboot again. Unplugging for 5 minutes is a hard reboot right? This morning I did the hold the power button reboot.

#4 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

Well, after another reboot and test switch the locals are still not mapping down. Maybe I need to be patient and allow some more time.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yes Hard boot is pulling the plug for a few minutes.... I would suggest that, but before you do that.. Do you sub to your locals? You must sub to the locals to get guide info so want to make sure that point is covered.

Other than that there are no other settings to get guide data except scan in your OTA channels and it appears you have done that. I would check the Dish OTA area for you DMA and see if there are any issues being reported there.

It does take time.. Like ChuckA said.. Do a checkswitch and see if that bring them in. You should get a downloading Guide message after the checkswitch. If that does not work.. I would start to think you might run into a localize OTA issue.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

Ya, I do subscribe to the locals via dish. I have a 211 in the living room and it maps all of the dish locals to their correct broadcast number, as well as pulls in the OTA digitals and displays their guide info.

The new 722 is showing my dish locals in the 8000s, but is not mapping them down to the correct channel number. I suspect that my OTA guide info problem will be fixed once I can get the dish locals to map to the correct channels.

#7 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

OK, its been 36 hours since I activated the receiver and the locals are still not mapping to the correct channel. I just discovered another problem that might be related. Im watching the Astros game in my living room on my 211 receiver, the game is in HD on my ALTERNATE regional sports network. Texas has many teams, therefore many alternate channels for Fox Sports SW. On the new 722, only the main Fox Sports SW is showing on channel 416. The alternate channel that the Astros are playing on, 445 regular and HD, is not showing up in the guide at all. If I manually type the channel it skips up to the next available channel, 455. I have verified that the 211 and 722 are receiving the same sats. Any ideas?

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

If you have not given Dish a call.. I would suggest given them one. Another possibility is perhaps they don't have your 722 provisioned right though I would suspect that if the 211 is ok the 722 should be but it is worth check.

Other than that.. So the 722 is showing digital service on all your OTA channels? Also are you showing any Dish HD channels in your -00 slot next to your OTA channels..

The 722 has some settings under the Local Channel for mapping.. what are yours set to? This should have nothing to do with you not getting local guide information but if I am reading your posts correctly you might be right as to these two things being related.

I definitely would verify with Dish that your account is set up correctly given the fact you are seeing guide information in your 211. It is possible you are running into a location specific 722 bug, but given you are also having issues with other regional mapping I think checking your account might be prudent.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

I did call dish earlier today but was passed around a few times then disconnected....Ill try again in the morning. Dish does not have HD locals for my area, only SD. The sd channels are showing up in the 8000s, but not mapping to the broadcast channel numbers like they do on the 211. In the local channel options menu, I have it set to HD&SD, then enable HD, the same settings my 211 has. I have tried all of the settings here and the results have been the same. I will update the results after I get someone at dish to help me.

#10 OFFLINE   jrb03

jrb03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

An Update after an hour on the phone with dish....

After MANY reboots and dish sending multiple *reactivation* signals to my 722, it is working normal now. Apparently my 722 was very stubborn and did not completely activate itself, according to the tech. Anyways, glad it is working now, thanks again for the tips.

spam firewall