Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting HR-21 700 to wireless network

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swingo

swingo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

What is the preferred method to connecting a box to a wireless network? My router is 200 feet away, and I have no way to run cable. Has anyone used a device like this?

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1061127609830

Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   vxman007

vxman007

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:14 AM

I'm using the Linksys wireless game adapter (WGA) that you're considering and it works fine for my HR21-700. I don't know the distance between my wireless router and the WGA; it's less than 200 feet, but it works fine. If you can't get the signal from 200 feet away, they sell wireless network extenders as well. Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

swingo, I have used the Linksys WGA54G and it works great. I actually just upgraded my network to wireless N and I am now using the Linksys WGA600N.

Whatever you get you need to get a wireless adapter with an ethernet
connection like the WGA54G and not one with USB connection.

My only concern for you is 200' is probably to far. You may have to upgrade to wireless N (router) and get the WGA600N and I am still not sure if that will reach with a good enough signal.

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

you should try out the directv powerline kits. i now have 3 hr20's hooked up via powerline kits, easy to use.

#5 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I have all mine hooked together with Powerline units I bought at Radio Shack (Netgear 104x). SImple plug and play and took all the frustration out of trying to set up my second wireless gaming adaptor when the first one worked fine and the second didn't.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#6 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'm in the wireless camp with 3 of those adapters and one wireless N adapter. They all work like a champ.

Not sure if the others will agree with me on this next one, but setting up the HR21 with a static IP sure has made things much easier to manage.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

Not sure if the others will agree with me on this next one, but setting up the HR21 with a static IP sure has made things much easier to manage.

I completely agree with you on this. I have set all of my units to static IP addresses. Everything seems to setup much easier that way.

#8 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

I completely agree with you on this. I have set all of my units to static IP addresses. Everything seems to setup much easier that way.

Here is a link in my signature with list full of equipment that has been proven in by some of us here at DBStalk. I recommend looking at he Directv HD DVR Networking Kit for 200' of distance. It may make the best speed for that distance. It also has a link to the first look on that equipment.

If you have any specific questions, PM me and I will help you out.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#9 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Swingo, as other posters have mentioned, the distance cited may be the showstopper here. Can you test with a laptop or something to see how well wireless works near where you have your DVR? I don't have any experience with DirecTV's wireline adapter, but I have seen many posts here saying that they work reasonably well.

If you do end up going wireless, the Linksys WGA54G is a good option, unless you are using encryption on your wireless network. Unless there have been changes to that particular model, it only supported WEP, last time I checked. I ended up getting the WET200 wireless bridge which does support WPA2 and can handle up to 4 wired devices (which made more sense to me since I also have an XBox360 and did not want to clutter up my entertainment center with too many wireless adapters).

I have also set up all my gear with a static IP address. It did make the setup go a bit smoother, and it helps me do network troubleshooting when I need to, not to mention take out another point of failure in the network!
Rob

#10 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

If you do end up going wireless, the Linksys WGA54G is a good option, unless you are using encryption on your wireless network. Unless there have been changes to that particular model, it only supported WEP, last time I checked. I ended up getting the WET200 wireless bridge which does support WPA2 and can handle up to 4 wired devices (which made more sense to me since I also have an XBox360 and did not want to clutter up my entertainment center with too many wireless adapters).

The WGA54G does only do WEP so that may be a problem for you.

#11 OFFLINE   swingo

swingo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. My laptop works fine from that location, so I am oig to buy the adapter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...