Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Decision time....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:48 AM

Well, my 1980 or so vintage VCR finally died. The shop says it is not fixable because of lack of parts. It was a very good vcr (much better than the garbage on the market today) that was worth about $1300 in it's day, so I didn't want to just throw it away. I still have my D-VHS Dish receiver sitting in a box awaiting to sell (since I got a 508). I have several tapes that I would like to keep and a few programs on the 508 I would like to archive. The dilemma: Do I get a dvd recorder for my computer or do I buy another vhs deck to replace old faithful? If I get a burner will my computer work. It is a 733Mhz Celeron. If not, what suggestions does everyone have for upgrading? I can use my existing case/pwr supply, hard drives, cd-r etc., so I guess I am looking for suggestions on mother board, chip, etc. This will be my first computer build (although I have moved the innards from one case to another). I don't want to spend a fortune so be gentle.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:53 AM

A DVDRW will work on a 733MHz, but the problem will be the encoding of data once it is captured. On my 2.0GHz if a 2 hour program takes 2 hours to encode from AVI to MPEG-2, a 733 will take 5+ hours. And you will need on average 40GB free per DVD project, so a hard drive upgrade may be needed.

One alternative is to get a capture device that encodes via the hardware device (not using your PC's CPU) but those do not seem to be the best quality option (according to the discussion sites, people aren't as happy with them) or maybe one of those Stand Alone DVD Recorders that fit in your entertainment center.

http://www.prodcat.p...categoryid=2596

If you want to do really fancy stuff then the PC way is probably best because you can pick and choose every component (thats the way I like it). Or if you want a good all around system without having to worry about which Authoring SW to use, which encoder to use, which capture device to use then the panasonics DVD Recorders may be best. Maybe buy a cheapo VHS recorder to have if needed to play your tapes one last time to archive and in case a friend brings over a VHS (Luddite!!!) :D
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 08:53 AM

For what it's worth, I replaced a broken VCR a couple of years ago. I've barely used it at all, mostly to download programs from the TiVo. The thing is practically brand new.

#4 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:15 AM

It's amazing picking up a current VCR vs. the one I am retiring. The current ones have no weight to them at all while my old one is very hefty. I look at that as a difference in the mechanics inside the box.

you will need on average 40GB free per DVD project

The computer that I have now has three drives, a 20G, a 30G and an 80G, so that isn't a problem. I bought the 80G recently at BB for $49 on a 3 hour special. Needless to say, I have plenty of blank drive space. :D

#5 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 09:19 AM

I recently upgraded the old computer to XP. I haven't registered yet, so am thinking I would leave the C drive in the old computer, restore it to ME and install XP in the new computer using the 30G drive as the master. Do you guys see any problem in this. I have 22 days left to register the XP.

#6 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 02:58 PM

No should not be a problem. I have a 40GB drive running XP and a 80GB drive totally devoted to my Digital Video and DVD editing authoring. Only thing the machine is a 2.0GHz with 640MB Ram, makes the authoring/editing/encoding go much gaster.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#7 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Rking401
It's amazing picking up a current VCR vs. the one I am retiring. The current ones have no weight to them at all while my old one is very hefty. I look at that as a difference in the mechanics inside the box.

It's probably just the difference between the vacuum tubes in the old one and the processor used in the new ones. :D

#8 OFFLINE   AllieVi

AllieVi

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Rking401
Well, my 1980 or so vintage VCR finally died. The shop says it is not fixable because of lack of parts. It was a very good vcr (much better than the garbage on the market today) that was worth about $1300 in it's day...

If it makes you feel any better, that $1,300 in 1980 equates to something like $5,000 today :)

I'm trying to justify a DVD writing setup, too, but figure I'll wait a while until the prices drop a bit and more competition exists in the market. I'm a recovering early-adopter...

The current crop of VCR's can't match DVD quality, but they're not bad. And since they're available at throw-away prices and 6-hour tapes are so cheap, they make sense for me now.
AllieVi

For good reason, I never criticize someone until I've walked a mile in their shoes. If they don't like what I say, what're they gonna' do? I'm a mile away. And they have no shoes!

#9 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:01 PM

If it makes you feel any better, that $1,300 in 1980 equates to something like $5,000 today

I won it in a sales contest so I don't feel too bad. :D

I'm a recovering early-adopter...

I can identify with that. I had one of the very first DVD players released (still have the same one), a Toshiba SD-3006 with a date sticker of March 1997. I bought it when there were probably less than 100 titles on the market. I seem to do the same with just about everything, but am learning to control myself now (a bit).

#10 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:06 PM

What parts were needed for your old-gold VCR?

BTW, I got an RCA VCR for my birthday about a year ago, and it works great to this day.
Do you DVR?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...