Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP622 Power Down in middle of day?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

My 622 just did something it's never done; while watching a show on DVR around 10:45am, it put up a message on the screen telling me it needed to shut down to check for updates, and offered me the option to let it shut down, or cancel.

I went ahead and let it shut down, and now it's rebooting.

Wierd, I've never had it do that during the day when I'm watching. I have it set to do it's daily updates like at 4am, and it was off all night.

Anyone have any idea why it did this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

One possibility that comes to mind... Did you have a timer set to record anything last night that would have overlapped the 4am update time? Or perhaps was there a brief power outage around that time last night?

Basically, if something happens during the overnight that causes the update not to occur... then it sometimes tries again several hours later when it "remembers" it needs to refresh.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Good ideas, but neither happened. No power outage (my stove will say PF even I have even a very short outage), and no recordings going on.

I've had recordings going on before at that time, and it interrupts them anyway. :)

Receiver seems the same, just wierd that it did that.

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

I've had recordings going on before at that time, and it interrupts them anyway. :)

It shouldn't. :nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Good ideas, but neither happened. No power outage (my stove will say PF even I have even a very short outage), and no recordings going on.

Receiver seems the same, just wierd that it did that.

Was it perhaps storming during the night when the update would have occurred? Or, very dense clouds?
Also, if there is a recording scheduled during the update time, it will skip the update.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

My 622 shut itself off in the middle of watching House last night - about 9:45 pm. No error messages or any messages. It just went off, whirred loudly for awhile and eventually came back on. The first time this has happened. No weather, no power outages, no reason at all. It's update time is 3am.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

That was a reboot. The receiver had some sort of problem and it booted itself.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

Protected By... spam firewall...And...