Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L5.10 (for 622/722) Coming?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

Yep ... might be better to go with the flow.

Sometimes, that flow is a tsunami.
Remember the OTA problem with one of the updates?
The EHD problem with the last update?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,091 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

Sometimes, that flow is a tsunami.
Remember the OTA problem with one of the updates?
The EHD problem with the last update?

Yes, Tulsa, I remember ... but it'll never get fixed if I stick my head in the sand or unplug my 622. At some point, we just ... [ready for this?] ... gotta believe. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

That's not a rumor, but pure fact. Better if you cite your source.

We once had a source for who was getting software updates but he stopped posting that information. He still posts other stuff.

#24 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

Yes, Tulsa, I remember ... but it'll never get fixed if I stick my head in the sand or unplug my 622. At some point, we just ... [ready for this?] ... gotta believe. :D

Well, my 722 is running just fine right now.
I expect at least one big problem with this next update.
They need to do some major work on the EHD interface. I don't expect to see that even though they have the code. Make it like the My Recordings on the internal drive, please.
They have never addressed the so called trick play stuff; the 4X FF is still jerky. When you pause and select frame-by-frame, there's no telling where you'll end up. Trying to pause and frame-by-frame in a sporting event is a thing of the past. They screwed that up several updates ago. Trying to back out of some of the menus drops you into places you don't expect. Error recovery isn't handled very well at all. If OTA signal is lost, hey, let's just dump ALL the buffers!
Sorry to sound so jaded but I don't remember an update that didn't cause problems for somebody. Usually, these surface the day of the update, so that gives me some idea of the testing they do. Regression testing isn't part of their vernacular.
Of course, this is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

We once had a source for who was getting software updates but he stopped posting that information. He still posts other stuff.

Yeah, found more interesting to watch new satellites, then do that reports.
Other ppl doing it with a passion and dedication.

#26 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:22 AM

You can set the Inactivity Standby to Disable but the only way to defeat the Updates is to schedule it at the same time as an Auto-Tune or Recording. If you want to get a guide update, perform a check switch. I don't think it checks for firmware downloads at that time. My receiver is never turned off. As for power outages, you should have UPS protection anyway.

Upon backing out of a completed check-switch, the receiver will reboot, and then update if it's been spooled.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#27 OFFLINE   leemathre

leemathre

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

One of my 622's now has 5.10. No time to check much before I left for work, but I did notice some of the menus have changed.
4 Dish ViP 622's; Dish1000+ =110/118.7/119/129; DPP44 X 2; Four DPP Separators

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

You don't know how the SW spooling, you can't discuss facts - look at old threads, plus you don't know what was a status of the your other 622.
Also, never check switch force to reboot DVR. You're better stay with facts, not rumors.
As to the facts - last night Dish added to the group of DVR new range and perhaps your device fall into. Ask RandallA.

#29 OFFLINE   Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

That's not a rumor, but pure fact. Better if you cite your source.

Trust me, I'd prefer to cite the source, but if I did, I'd probably be banned here! :lol:

I called it a rumor because, AFAIK, no one had reported actually receiving the download at the time of the post. I know that the source in question (RandallA) is reliable.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight, and from now on I'll just stay away from these software update threads. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Brad
Acquiring Signal...........Please Wait

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

No, that's not going to turn into fight - just a few thing twisted here: politics, missing credits and credibility. Info from RandallA based on same type of data what JohnH used for his uplink posts, but no one classified it as a rumor.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

If people are receiving it it is time for release notes and discussion ... in the appropriate forums. :)
Release Notes

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

If people are receiving it it is time for release notes ... in the appropriate forums. :)

I wouldn't wait for that if taking in account new card deployment and Dish secrecy about encryption tidbits.

#33 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

We now have a thread for 5.10 discussion.. Please use the thread below to continue the discussion.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=130184

Closing this thread to avoid splittering.

spam firewall