Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

LIN TV and DIRECTV Announce Retrans Agreement for HD Signals

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

YES!!!!

LIN and Directv have reached an HD retrans agreement!

LIN TV and DIRECTV Announce Retrans Agreement for HD Signals
PROVIDENCE, RI/EL SEGUNDO, CA, June 9, 2008 – LIN TV Corp. (NYSE: TVL), a local television and digital media company, and DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, today announced they have entered into an agreement for the retransmission of LIN TV’s broadcast stations in both analog and high-definition. The deal covers television stations owned and/or operated by LIN TV in 15 markets.

The retransmission agreement includes: KRQE-TV, KASA-TV (Albuquerque); KXAN-TV, KNVA-TV and KBVO-TV (Austin); WIVB-TV and WNLO-TV (Buffalo); WDTN-TV (Dayton); WANE-TV (Ft. Wayne); WOOD-TV, WOTV-TV, WXSP-CA (Grand Rapids); WLUK-TV (Green Bay); WTNH-TV and WCTX-TV (Hartford-New Haven); WISH-TV and WNDY-TV (Indianapolis); WALA-TV and WBPG-TV (Mobile); WAVY-TV and WVBT-TV (Norfolk); WPRI-TV and WNAC-TV (Providence); WWLP-TV (Springfield) and WUPW-TV (Toledo).

“We are pleased with the outcome of our negotiations,” said Vincent L. Sadusky, president and chief executive officer of LIN TV Corp. “Our stations are leaders in their markets and we’ve made substantial investments to bring our viewers high definition digital programming. The agreement reflects fair value to both parties and is in the best interest of the consumer.”

“With this agreement, DIRECTV will continue to enhance its industry leading HD offer, enabling us to add more HD channels in existing DIRECTV HD local markets and set the stage for roll out of more HD local channels this fall,” said Dan Hartman, senior vice president, Programming, DIRECTV, Inc. “We’re extremely happy with this agreement that is both beneficial for our business and our customers.”

http://lintv.com/new...ls - 6-9-08.pdf

I wonder when the LIN HD signals will start lighting up? Is there still room on D10 spot beams to add these now?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

PROVIDENCE, R.I. & EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--LIN TV Corp. (NYSE: TVL), a local television and digital media company, and DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, today announced they have entered into an agreement for the retransmission of LIN TV’s broadcast stations in both analog and high-definition. The deal covers television stations owned and/or operated by LIN TV in 15 markets.

The retransmission agreement includes: KRQE-TV, KASA-TV (Albuquerque); KXAN-TV, KNVA-TV and KBVO-TV (Austin); WIVB-TV and WNLO-TV (Buffalo); WDTN-TV (Dayton); WANE-TV (Ft. Wayne); WOOD-TV, WOTV-TV, WXSP-CA (Grand Rapids); WLUK-TV (Green Bay); WTNH-TV and WCTX-TV (Hartford-New Haven); WISH-TV and WNDY-TV (Indianapolis); WALA-TV and WBPG-TV (Mobile); WAVY-TV and WVBT-TV (Norfolk); WPRI-TV and WNAC-TV (Providence); WWLP-TV (Springfield) and WUPW-TV (Toledo).

Link to the whole story...
http://www.businessw...730&newsLang=en

#3 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

Oh my - the proverbial fiery pit has frozen over. Would this be dependent on D11 firing up ?

#4 OFFLINE   ilovehd

ilovehd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

This is great news!!!
- I feast on the smorgasbord of atmospheric violence -

My Equipment:

(1) HR34 "Genie"
(2) HR20-700 DVRs
DirecTV Nomad
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV
HP 42" Plasma TV
Mitsubishi 65" HD Rear View Projection TV
Yamaha 6.1 Home Theater System
JVC 5.1 Home Theater System

#5 OFFLINE   johnck78

johnck78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

:) :grin: :D :o :righton: :joy: :bink: :smoking: :biggthump :allthumbs :goodjob: :icon_hroc :love1: :dance: :new_smili :dance01: :jumpingja :jump3: :cheers2: :up:
Full Diagram of My Setup

Be a DBSTalk Club Member for $15 Support DBSTalk.com

Twitter: @JohnCK78

#6 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:30 AM

So who's still left out in the cold?
I know Portland Oregon is with KOIN (CBS) for the HD feeds.
Any of the other Top DMA's still without all their locals? CBS,NBC,ABC,Fox,

I hope D11 also fills in the blanks with the lower DMA locals as well.

#7 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:32 AM

Well, when we start accessing the PBS agreement already in place, I guess I'll put away my Silver Sensor.

#8 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:37 AM

Me...

CBSHD Channel 58 in Milwaukee DMA. They won't play at all! No signal and no sign of them doing anything to give us a signal.
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

It's about time.... :D

I wonder what it cost Directv.

Thanks for the info Indy.... :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

I wounder if I can get a refund on my AM21 now. :lol:

This is excellent news and I am looking forward to the move. This will make the need of my AM21 obselete. I guess ebay will be seeing me when this happens.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

<snip>
I wonder when the LIN HD signals will start lighting up? Is there still room on D10 spot beams to add these now?

I'm only guessing here...with only 15 markets (wikipedia lists 33 stations), I would think there is room for those now.

Some of those stations seem to be simulcast so I don't know how that will effect (affect?) anything.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#12 OFFLINE   dyker

dyker

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

I wonder for how long? Ditto on the AM21, although I still like it for sporting events (no reduced bitrates). Although for me the AM21 has been worthless due to problematic non-responsive trickplay.

#13 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

Here in Buffalo, we already get 3 of our locals in HD, so I wonder if there's room on the spot beam that we get those from to add the local LIN stations (CBS and CW).
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

Wonder how much we need to thank Charlie for coming to an agreement and lighting up LIN stations on E*? Anyway, glad to see both parties finally coming to an agreement.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

I'm still wondering when they are going to add La Crosse's locals in HD..................

#16 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

It will be interesting to see how fast Directv gets those "missing" locals up and running(waiting for WTNH and WCTX myself) . Hopefully they were smart enough to leave enough space for them, on the spotbeams, for when they did reach the agreement.

#17 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

Well, when we start accessing the PBS agreement already in place, I guess I'll put away my Silver Sensor.

Nah - with the weather we have been having here in Indiana - think I will keep the antenna. I do prefer the MPEG4 for recording, but with the heavy cloud cover as of late I do like having the 'backup' :).

#18 OFFLINE   crzychrisj

crzychrisj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

FINALLY!!!

Maybe LIN finally decided to start making some deals now under pressure from both DirecTV and Charter customers.

Guess I'll have to email my "friends" at WTNH to "thank" them for taking my request into consideration. :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

Congrats to all that have been patiently waiting for this outcome! :D
Receivers: HR20-700, H20-600, H21-200, D12-300, RCA DRD486
Dish: AT9 | Multiswitch: WB68
TV: Sony KDF50WE655

My Setup

Author of CE Slinger

#20 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

FINALLY!!!

Maybe LIN finally decided to start making some deals now under pressure from both DirecTV and Charter customers.

Guess I'll have to email my "friends" at WTNH to "thank" them for taking my request into consideration. :lol:

Did LIN reach an agreement with Charter too(not to change the subject, just curious as Charter is my local cable company)?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...