Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report L5.10 Playback Issues Here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

I figured it would be helpful to the E* engineering team if the people experiencing the issues would provide details as to where they are seeing the playback issues. So if you are experiencing issues, please provide the following.

What Sats are you pointing at?
What is your Receiver Model and if possible your Hardware Revision?
Your Location?
What Channel are you seeing the issue on?
What program or programs are you seeing it on?
Are you seeing it Live/Delayed/Recorded?

Any other commments or details around the playback issue would be welcomed. Please stick to the facts here and this thread is only for reporting specific playback info and all other 5.10 discussions should be done in the 5.10 thread.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this helps in drawing a better picture of what is being experienced.

Hardware Revision or production run number is the last letter on a id that usually appears on the back of your receiver
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

I figured it would be helpful to the E* engineering team if the people experiencing the issues would provide details as to where they are seeing the playback issues. So if you are experiencing issues, please provide the following.

Your Location?

Any other commments or details around the playback issue would be welcomed. Please stick to the facts here and this thread is only for reporting specific playback info and all other 5.10 discussions should be done in the 5.10 thread.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this helps in drawing a better picture of what is being experienced.

How about the receiver model?
Thanks, Ron.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

Good Idea.. I will add that to the Questions...
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

>110/119/129
>VIP622/dunno
Your Location?
>SF Bay Area
>5-0 (CBS), 11-0 (NBC)
>All HD on these channels.
>Delayed/Recorded. Live is ok.
Any other commments or details around the playback issue would be welcomed.
>Picture and sound breaks-up, unwatchable. Don't see the problem with 5-1/11-1 OTA.
>Update 6/12: also getting sound break-up on 7-0 (ABC). Video is ok. No problems on 7-1 OTA.

#5 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Model 622. While watching recorded RaveHD broadcasts from almost two years ago, the playback will "skip." Most of the time it will play for about 10 seconds, then skip ahead 5, and repeat this, although sometimes it will skip with more frequency than this.

#6 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

Vip622 - 026
Your Location?
SF Bay Area
Channel 5
Swingers from last Thursday, 3-1/2 Men two weeks ago on Channel 44
Recorded

Hardware Revision or production run number is the last letter on a id that usually appears on the back of your receiver

Edited Responses

#7 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Well, here goes:

119, 110, 129, 61.5

VIP622, Rev D

Your Location?

Southern California

All SAT channels -- Don't have OTA hooked up

All programming

Delayed and Recorded -- Live is ok (so far)

Any other commments or details around the playback issue

Occurs using both the internal HD and the EHD. New recordings (made after L5.10) and old recordings (made before L5.1), both SD and HD, all have the skipping problem. I can connect the EHD to my other 622 which is still on L4.49 and play the content without any skipping problems. I can also transfer internal content that skips (did I happen to mention that all recorded content skips?) from the L5.10 receiver onto the EHD then connect it to the L4.49 receiver and play it back without any skipping problems.

Hope this helps,

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#8 OFFLINE   knealy

knealy

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Here is my info.

61.5, 110, 119, 129

Your Location?
San Francisco Bay Area

NBC local from E, Tennis Channel 400 HD

All on these channels.

Delayed and recorded

Hardware Revision or production run number is the last letter on a id that usually appears on the back of your receiver[/QUOTE]

#9 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

Sats. pointed at
61.5, 110, 119, 129

Receiver

Channels and Programs
I only watch HD channels and the skip ahead has happened on every recording I've tried to watch. It also happens if I delay the program, or if I reverse a live show and then start watching it from there.
After it skips ahead I can reverse the show and while it is reversing I can see the part that was skipped, but when I hit play it skips the same part again.

#10 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:05 AM

119, 110, 129,

VIP622, I think revision B

Your Location?

Dallas, TX

Mostly mainstream sat network channels, 5 (NBC), 8 (ABC), 11 (CBS) but not 4 (FOX)

All recorded network programming

Delayed and Recorded -- Live is fine.

Any other commments or details around the playback issue

Glad to have seen this thread as I thought there was something else wrong with my receiver but these issues just started recently, so possibly it is the 5.10 issue. Only happens with recorded programs, not live. Recorded programs are full of skipping, pixelating every few seconds, making them unwatchable. It is not recorded problems as when skipping back 10 seconds, I can sometimes see what was skipped/pixelated, thus it is an issue with the playback, not some artifact recorded onto the drive

#11 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:30 AM

110, 119, 129

ViP622 - can't get to back of DVR to find revision, but it's one of the early ones from two weeks after they were released.

Your Location?
San Francisco

Three issues, all on playback:
- Jumping ahead a second or two frequently: KPIX CBS5 6439, KNTV NBC11 6440
- Total break up of video and audio (quite psycadellic at times): KPIX CBS5 6439, KNTV NBC11 6440, plus lots of old files recorded prior to L510
- Intermittent audio break up: Several OTA HD channels but ONLY if MORE THAN ONE channel is being recorded.

All HD programs. Doesn't seem to affect SD recordings.

Delayed and Recorded. Live is fine on all channels

Any other commments or details around the playback issue would be welcomed.

I've had this DVR for a long time and have never had any problems. It's been totally reliable, and all recordings have been fine, until I received L510.

Larry
SF

#12 OFFLINE   wamjdavis

wamjdavis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Whatever Seattle WA looks at ...

receiver is 622 don't know hardware revision

Your Location?

Seattle

ABC -- KOMO

Recorded HD broadcasts Sunday evening ...

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Great Feedback.. One thing when reporting your observations make sure you indicated the channel number. Remember there is OTA and Dish HD locals and I personally think that difference in important when playback issues are being discussed.

#14 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

61.5, 110, 119

receiver is 622 don't know hardware revision

Your Location?

Central Florida

Sat delivered NBC Affiliate (WESH)

Recorded HD broadcast of "Medium".

Note: OTA HD playback of "How I Met Your Mother" from CBS affiliate (WKMG) had no problems.

Those are the only two shows I've watched from the DVR since I got the update.

#15 OFFLINE   mulder5000

mulder5000

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

110, 118.75, 119, 129
622, don't know hardware revision
Your Location?
St. Louis
Sat delivered NBC HD (SD is fine). I haven't tested every HD channel, but of the 5-6 others I've tested, all work fine.
All programs on the NBC HD channel, whether actually in HD or not.
Works fine with live programming, breaks up if I skip back or pause it. Also breaks up on recorded programs from this channel that previously worked fine. Recordings from other channels still work.

#16 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Sats. pointed at
61.5, 110, 119, 129

Receiver

Channels and Programs
I only watch HD channels and the skip ahead has happened on every recording I've tried to watch. It also happens if I delay the program, or if I reverse a live show and then start watching it from there.
After it skips ahead I can reverse the show and while it is reversing I can see the part that was skipped, but when I hit play it skips the same part again.

edit: I forgot to name the channels that I have seen the skip ahead problem on. HBO, Showtime, Starz, HDnet, and HDnet Movies.
Seeing how these are the only channels I have tried and it is doing it on all of them, I would think the odds are pretty good that most if not all of my HD channels are screwed up.

#17 OFFLINE   debpasc

debpasc

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

Pointing at 110, 119, 129
Located just north of Albuquerque
Early release 622 now running L5.10 -- flawless performance to this point
Live TV seems O.K. including pause, jump forward and back
Random skip ahead with audio drops observed on recorded playback only
Happens three to four times during half hour program
So far it's happened on Food Network and HGTV -- both were sat HD
Annoying but not debilitating
No pixellation issues
Dual tuner recording so far is O.K.

#18 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

Great Feedback.. One thing when reporting your observations make sure you indicated the channel number. Remember there is OTA and Dish HD locals and I personally think that difference in important when playback issues are being discussed.

Hi Ron,

I seemed to have the same problem getting this point across to the CSR when I called to report the delayed/recorded skipping issue to Dish. I guess that their computer based Q&A sheet insists that a particular problem channel be specified -- so I told her to pick any one that she liked or wanted to use (I don't think she ever really got my point.) :rolleyes:

But the point is --

The skipping problem occurs on all the channel numbers that I'm subscribed to view -- there are no channels that work correctly -- absolutely none. It occurs on all programming on all these channels -- there is no programming that works correctly on any channel that I receive -- none of it can be DVR'd or Paused then viewed without it skipping.

I am currently subscribed to dishHD+MAX+HBO+Show+Starz+Locals. I used to be subbed to AEP+HD Ultimate+Locals, but I dropped it because I'm ticked at Charlie over what he did with Voom.

I only have SAT channels -- no OTA, so I cannot report on that, but from what I'm seeing posted I gather that they are equally afflicted.

Thanks,

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#19 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

What about the SD versions of these channels AVJohnnie are you seeing skipping on those?

#20 OFFLINE   paulwsmith

paulwsmith

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

119, 110, 129,

VIP622 not sure of the hardware revision

Your Location?

Dallas, TX

Local sat hd feeds

All recorded network programming

Delayed and Recorded -- Live is fine.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...