Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report L5.10 Playback Issues Here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bobr

bobr

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

What Sats are you pointing at?
110. 119, 129

What is your Receiver Model and if possible your Hardware Revision?
VIP622

Your Location?
Dallas

What Channel are you seeing the issue on?
fox, nbc ,cbs, abc

What program or programs are you seeing it on?
All recorded HD locals

Are you seeing it Live/Delayed/Recorded?
Delayed and Recorded.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

What about the SD versions of these channels AVJohnnie are you seeing skipping on those?

Yes, everything -- SD, HD, All channels, All programming.

I don't know what they were trying to accomplish software-wise with this release, but whatever they did it effectively killed the receiver DVR-wise.

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#23 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

keitheva and AVJohnnie, I tried to send you guys a PM that I think you might be interested in but you have your PMs disabled. PM me for more info but you are going to have to turn on PMs so I can PM you back.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#24 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I am having all sorts of problems with pixilization, jumps and stutters when watching any recorded or delayed HD programs with L5.10. Live playback works fine without any issues.

110, 119, 129

ViP622 DVR-HD, Originally received February '06 (Bootstrap 1710RBDD)

Your Location?
Seattle, Washington area

All HD channels

It seems to happen on all HD channels. Seems to happen everytime with delayed HD playback

The problem happens with Delayed or Recorded HD content
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

#25 OFFLINE   jaystamm

jaystamm

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Partial answers, will try to add more later, although not convinced it the rest should matter.

Not sure

622/not sure

Your Location?
Richmond, KY

any OTA HD, any Dish HD, believe some SD although not as frequent

Same as above

Delayed and recorded, consistent on HD

While watching anything delayed or recorded shows have a tendency to skip forward about 2-5 seconds. It is random on how often is happens but normally 15-30 seconds between skips. If I rewind the show to before the spot that skipped sometimes it will not skip in the same place, so it does not seem to be the recording. Also, when rewinding the skipped portion seems to display properly in reverse.

HD shows seem to do it the worse. Watching OTA NBC playback of Last Comic Standing made it unwatchable since we were always missnig the punchlines or the setup. I am pretty sure we have seen it on SD recordings also, although it is not nearly as consistant or common.

#26 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

[quote name='Ron Barry']I figured it would be helpful to the E* engineering team if the people experiencing the issues would provide details as to where they are seeing the playback issues. So if you are experiencing issues, please provide the following.

61.5, 110, 119.121
Your Location? Charlotte area
What Channel are you seeing the issue on? Ch 3
What program or programs are you seeing it on? all recorded locals
Are you seeing it Live/Delayed/Recorded? Recorded. Pixils and kipping on playback aftet new software loaded.

Any other commments or details around the playback issue would be welcomed. Please stick to the facts here and this thread is only for reporting specific playback info and all other 5.10 discussions should be done in the 5.10 thread.

Thanks in advance and hopefully this helps in drawing a better picture of what is being experienced.

[

#27 OFFLINE   himini

himini

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:23 AM

119, 110, 129

VIP622, revision unknown

Your Location?
Coloma, CA (Sacramento Locals)

So far, only on Sacramento HD locals thru Satellite (not OTA): NBC, CBS, ABC

I think all recorded or paused network programming (noticed it watching Leno and Letterman at the same time using sticky pause).

Delayed and Recorded -- Live is fine.

Any other commments or details around the playback issue
When I pause a program and resume, it will pixelate and skip ahead every 3 seconds or so until it catches up to being live. No issue while live.

#28 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

keitheva and AVJohnnie, I tried to send you guys a PM that I think you might be interested in but you have your PMs disabled. PM me for more info but you are going to have to turn on PMs so I can PM you back.

Thanks Ron,

All set -- let'er rip...

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#29 OFFLINE   SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

119, 110, 129
VIP622, 1710RBDD
Your Location?
S.F. Bay Area
HBO-HD, SHO-HD so far.
All programming
Delayed and Recorded -- Live is ok
Any other commments or details around the playback issue
I'm getting the quick jump ahead of 2-5 seconds that is driving me berserk. Instead of doing a 10 second replay, which will then produce the exact same jump, I try rewinding slowest speed, then play. Sometimes it gives a little more audio/video before it finishes the jump. Still completely crazy. Motion onscreen appears to trigger it...slow, non-panning dialog shots don't seem to skip forward.

#30 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:08 PM

It looks like almost everyone who has posted here with a ViP622 is having the same issues. This appears to be a wide spread issue. It would sure be nice to get some feedback from Dish at least acknowledging that they are working to correct it.
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

#31 OFFLINE   c4racer

c4racer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

I have the same issue.

ViP622

on playback only channel 5 KPIX CBS, and Channel 11 - NBC
SF Bay Area

Same ones that I see mentioned above several times.

I've never seen it on any other channel.

Just started happening a couple months ago - we just noticed it last week because that is about how far behind on shows we are at this point. Never happened before that and we've had this box for 15 months now.

Strange. Varies how bad it is, but mostly makes the show completely unwatchable. Which pretty much makes the service completely useless to me.

I just called DISH and they are logging the issue with engineering and claim they should be able to fix it within a few days to a week.

Whatever that is supposed to mean. They did not give me any course of follow-up, just said we should have a message show up when it is fixed.

Anyone heard anything about that?

Is the contract 1 year or 2 years? If 1 year I may need to get something else - DTV or Cable - because there is no point in having a DVR service that doesn't work for a large chunk of the programming we watch. I have a very low point of tolerance for this kind of thing and pretty much no loyaltee - if I get bad service, I take my business elsewhere. Thankfully we live in a world with competition and choices!!

#32 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

It looks like almost everyone who has posted here with a ViP622 is having the same issues. This appears to be a wide spread issue. It would sure be nice to get some feedback from Dish at least acknowledging that they are working to correct it.

I did receive some feedback from Dish on 6/9/08:

"Thanks for the feedback, we are aware of the issues and engineering has been working on it."

This wasn't a boiler plate response, but from someone with whom I have dealt in the past on another issue.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#33 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

Just started happening a couple months ago - we just noticed it last week because that is about how far behind on shows we are at this point. Never happened before that and we've had this box for 15 months now.

I think it probably started with the L5.10 upgrade on 6/6/08. It has affected all your programs no matter when they were recorded. The fact that you're just now watching them, doesn't matter. I'm sure they were fine when you recorded them.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#34 OFFLINE   himini

himini

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Fixed

As mentioned by others in the 5.10 bug thread, I now have software version 5.11 and the issue seems to be resolved for me.

#35 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:43 PM

closing thread... Please report your L5.11 playback experiences in the L5.11 Playback experience thread.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall