Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie 722 Setup & Remote Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ruiner808

ruiner808

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hi all,

Just found out about this forum and I've been pouring over posts all day. I just got my Dish along with a ViP722 installed yesterday and I'm not sure about the way it is configured.

The way it is set up now, it is in dual mode with the outputs piped to their appropriate TV's (HDMI->TV1, Coax ->TV2). This is OK, except we are WAY more likely to try to record something while we watch something else than we are to watch two different things at the same time. And we are just as likely to be watching TV1 as we are TV2, but almost never at the same time.

So, because this is how our TV watching habits run, I was thinking of switching the unit back to single mode. Then using the Home Distribution output to pipe to TV2 (SD) in the bedroom. Then we would get PiP on both TV's and we would never have to think about which source is recording, etc. At least as far as my understanding goes at this point. The fact that it is showing the same channel on both TV's is not an issue for us.

So I have two questions. First, am I right in assuming that this is the proper way to set this up, or am I over-complicating it?

Second, will I be able to use both remotes including the one currently set up for TV2 (UHF-I think?, the long range one anyway) to change the channel on TV1?

Any help that you can give me here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-R

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ruiner808

ruiner808

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

Just had another idea, possibly. What happens to TV2 output if you switch to single mode? If I did this, would it be possible to watch a pre-recorded show on one TV, while watching the live signal on the other?

Or does this switch to single mode just disable the TV2 output all together?

I've read over the guides regarding the different modes, but some of the nuances I'm still not grasping fully.

-R

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Yes to your first two questions. It should work they way you expect. But no to your last question. In Single mode there is no TV2 output. You would tune your second TV to the channel you specified for TV1 output. There you would see whatever is being shown on the TV1 output.

If you want to rarely do this, you can always switch into dual mode.

And, :welcome_s to the forum.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   ruiner808

ruiner808

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

Chuck,

Thanks so much for the reply and the welcome. Your answers makes sense.

A couple of follow-up questions. As I understand it, once I make the switch to single mode, I need to move the coax from the tv2 output to the home distribution output in order to get TV1's signal to TV2. I can't just leave coax connected to the TV2 connection and get the TV1 signal can I?

If I can't then that makes the occasional switching rather cumbersome as I'd have to move the coax back from home distribution to the TV2 output whenever I want to enable dual mode.

Also, I'd need to 'bind' the UHF remote to TV1 for single mode and then do the reverse process for switching to dual mode. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for your help.

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

Don't move the coax or change the remote. Just press the Mode button on the front of the receiver. The TV2 output and the Home Distribution output is the same thing. In the receiver configuration you specify two output channels. One for TV1 and one for TV2. When you run in Single mode, tune your second TV to the TV1 output channel and you are all set. If you switch to Dual mode, change the second TV to the TV2 channel.

Can't get much easier that that.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   ruiner808

ruiner808

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

Sweet! That is perfect. That is exactly what I was hoping to do.

Thanks again for all your help.

-R

#7 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

And it's actually even easier as TV1 and TV2 can be output on the same channel (never considered they could be on diff channels, so not sure about that).

Also need to have Shared View enabled to share TV1 (this might be enabled by default).

I run my 622 in single mode and often switch to dual when the wife wants to watch something diff in the bedroom. All that is required is to press the mode button on the front panel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...