Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching SD Channels full screen VIP722

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm a new member to the Dish Network family and I received a VIP722 box.

I have a fairly old HD TV. It is the Sony Trinitron KV-32HS500.

When I view a channel in HD, there are no problems, the TV is square but the picture presents in widescreen. However, if I view a SD channel, the channel displays as a square WITHIN the widescreen area. Meaning, the square is smaller than the screen itself, with probably 3 inches of no image all the way around.

I am not sure if this can be corrected from the sat box or the tv itself, but I have tried messing around with options on both and cannot solve the problem. My TV is set to 16:9 auto, which means it should automatically fill the entire screen if the image changes. Pressing format on the remote on an SD channel zooms the SD channel to widescreen, stretching it, but not filling the entire screen.

Is there anything I can do?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

I I have the similar set as you in our bedroom. There is a number of threads here that discuss the issue.

http://www.dbstalk.c...1&highlight=4x3

My solution is to go with 4x3 #1, set my output to 480p, and then stretch the HD so the SD picture fills the screen. Not ideal I know, but for my configuration it works.

I have been meaning to look around to see if there is someway to get the Sony to handle 4x3 content on 1080i differently but so far I have not been able to find it though I have not looked real hard.

And welcome to DBSTalk!!! :D
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   sdschramm

sdschramm

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Set your TV to 4:3 then on your ViP722 go to menu, setup, HDTV setup (I think that is what is is under) and on the HDTV setup set your resolution to 1080i, 4:3 #1 or #2.

Now tune to an HDTV channel, then flip to an SD channel. Does it look the way you want? if not, go back into the HDTV setup and try 4:3 #2 and try again. Does it look right now?

Hope that helps!
Scott

#4 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

I believe the issue is with Sony's method of handling a 720 or 1080 input. The TV automatically displays programming as 16:9 and their is no way to view it full screen. That is the conclusion I reached with my brother's 36" Sony.
I think what Ron B suggests is the only solution; if you want to view the pictures full screen. Perhpas a way for Sony to sell new TVs.
Miner

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

There is always the stretch & zoom button on the remote. Granted it's a manual adjustment that you have to change every time you switch between true 16 X 9 and 4 X 3 content, but you do get the view you want.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

Is there anything I can do?

Yes. Buy a "real" HDTV.:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...