Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

change my truck sirius radio to portable one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

OK,
My Dakota I bought last year came with a Sirius radio and a 1 year sub. Well, a year was plenty of time for them to hook me and I don't want to lose Sirius so I am now paying for a sub to the truck radio.
My question is this. I want to be able to get Sirius in the wife's van when I am driving that now, too, but I don't want to pay for a sub to another radio.
Can I get one of the Sirius radios I see in the stores and hook that up to the antenna in my truck somehow and then also hook it up to the van? Can I take the radio from truck - van and back easily that way?
I am talking about using this new radio in place of the factory radio that came with the truck. The radio in my truck now doesn't have any of the cool info on the screen anyhow. I want to be able to plug the new radio into the antenna that was factory mounted on my truck.
The van just has a standard factory radio in it with no sat. radio option.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

What you want to do is what I currently do.

I have a ST-2 in my work van wired in to the ant jack (much to the chagrin of the company :lol: )

I have a second ant kit for my personal vehicle (will get installed some time when I get the time).

My plan is to move the radio back and forth as needed to save the extra receiver charge.

But, there is a catch. Had to buy two car kits. $40 each at Crutchfield. The work van required two ant adapaters as well. Those were $8 each I think. Also had to get a second antenna off of ebay. $16. Didn't want to fool with moving the antenna between vehicles. Still don't have a dock/mount for my vehicle, so I'll have to figure something out for that. In the end, about $115 to save the $7 or so a month for an extra sub.

Your costs would roughly the same. 2x car kits, 1 antenna, possible adapaters.

If I drove my personal vehicle as much as I drive the work van, then without question, I'd get a second radio. It would be worth it not to have to deal with the hassle of moving the radio back and forth. Plus, then when the wife gets used to the sat radio, you won't have to hear her complain about you taking out HER radio to put in your truck. :grin:

Second radio will be the way to go. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

hehe, thanks for putting it in perspective for me.

#4 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

Plus if your wife would get any enjoyment out of it, the second radio is only 6 or 7 bucks a month I believe. It was well worth it for me to put it in my wifes vehicle.
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

#5 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

The news I saw today may change this plan a little. If the merger actually does happen now and they come out with that lower cost plan I saw a while back, would I need a new radio in my truck to get it?

#6 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

The news I saw today may change this plan a little. If the merger actually does happen now and they come out with that lower cost plan I saw a while back, would I need a new radio in my truck to get it?

Yes, from what I've read about it you would need a new radio. Read more at xmmerger.com. May be worth waiting a few months to see what shakes out, but know that it could take months or even a year to get these new radios to market. There's been little news about it due to the pending merger, so who knows, a new radio could already have been designed and just waiting for the final whistle to start production.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...