Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 under a heavy receiver ok???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffL

JeffL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:26 PM

In preparation for tomorrow's install, I'm rearranging my entertainment center a bit. My old Tivo (Sony SAT-T60 which is leaving) was on top of my Denon receiver sitting on spacers that put it about 2" above (the entire top of the receiver has ventilation holes). But this still put a lot of heat onto the Tivo (can't complain though since it's been there for 5 years!). But from what I've read, I'm thinking the 722 probably runs hotter than the Tivo. So I was wondering if it was ok to put the 722 UNDER the receiver. The Denon receiver is pretty heavy and I didn't know how stout the 722 is or I should simply put it someplace else away from the receiver. In either case, I'll put a usb fan on the side of the 722.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

That is a lot of heat.. Personally I would not put the 722 near an A/V receiver if at all possible. Do you have any other options? Also.. I would never recommend sitting one of those heavy receivers on any piece of equipment period.

Well that is my 2 cents. Personally I am shocked your TIVO did not fail sitting basically you were sitting it right above a small heater. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

I agree with Ron. I would find another space for the 722 away from other heat sources.
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

Not just the heat factor...I personally would be worried about putting a hard drive near anything with a strong field like a receiver or amplifier.

#5 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

My Denon is so hot, it can melt DVD's that are left on top of it. Don't put anything on top of it!
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Methinks you'll be asking for problems, the least of which will be the internal fan running 24/7. I recommend you give it plenty of breathing room.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

... The Denon receiver is pretty heavy and I didn't know how stout the 722 is or I should simply put it someplace else away from the receiver. In either case, I'll put a usb fan on the side of the 722.

I agree with the numerous responses that you have received re the heat sensitivity of the 622/722. Re how stout the 722 is, my 622 has a 17 pound house cat that spends most of the day sleeping on top of it with no issues.

#8 OFFLINE   JeffL

JeffL

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. You convinced me to move it to the other side away from the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

I agree with the numerous responses that you have received re the heat sensitivity of the 622/722. Re how stout the 722 is, my 622 has a 17 pound house cat that spends most of the day sleeping on top of it with no issues.

I too have a 622 and a 17 pound house cat, but so far he has never slept on the 622.:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...