Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN America HD when?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

I see Dish is getting the channel on June 11th according to engadget. When will Directv get it? I can't believe Dish getting it before Directv is.

http://www.engadgeth...o-dish-network/
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

Only possible answer would be:

SOON!

If anything. :)
5 LNB AU9 Slimline Dish and standard 18" dish pointed at 72.5 for locals
1 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR10-250
1 R16-300
2 WB68 multiswitches

#3 OFFLINE   qwsxz

qwsxz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

I see Dish is getting the channel on June 11th according to engadget. When will Directv get it? I can't believe Dish getting it before Directv is.

if you are in Chicago you should already be getting WGN HD LIL...

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Only possible answer would be:

SOON!

If anything. :)

Either "soon" or "when hell freezes over." Or somewhere between the two.

:)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:42 PM

You're arn't missing anything.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

I just saw a post where Dish Network Already has WGN America up and running in HD. Come On DirecTv Get With the Program and get this channel up. There are many Cubs and White Sox games left this year and we need this channel for the Baseball games. Both The Cubs and White Sox are in First Place too. This Channel is a MUST!!

#7 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

at least for the moment. Recently adding FAMHD and Travel ChannelHD, and WGNHD today.

Let's hope the new sat is ready for some 4th of July fireworks!!!

#8 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I want WGN America HD on DirecTv Soon. I can't believe DirecTv doesn't have it while Dish Network already has it up and running. DirecTv needs to hurry up and get this Channel up and working.

#9 OFFLINE   whalerfan

whalerfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

I've seen Family Channel HD. It's on par with NickHD. Pillar bars and no HD content. Waste of space as far as I'm concerned. WGN America would be a nice addition. Although I'm a Mets fan (urgh!), I'd like to see the Cubs and Sox in HD.

#10 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Since DirecTv is supposed to be the Sports leader for Satellite TV you would think they'd get WGN HD up sooner rather than later because of the Chicago Sports teams that appear nationally on the channel.

#11 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

A contact I have at WGN says no progress is being made with DirecTV (as of late May). If you e-mail DirecTV asking that they add it they say there are no plans at this time.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#12 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

Is WGN America a different channel than WGN?

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

Is WGN America a different channel than WGN?

Yes, there's the WGN-TV/DT that's local to the Chicago DMA and then the WGN America/Superstation that is distributed via satellite to cable companies, Dish and DirecTV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   scrybigtv

scrybigtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

I swear I thought WGN had simply started as a local station and then at one point (a few decades ago) decided to go "superstation" and send its signal out via cable and later satellite. I thought we satellite customers saw the same WGN as the citizens of Chicago.

On the same note, are there also two TBSes . . . one for the local viewers in Atlanta and another for the national audience?

Oh, and I too am looking forward to DTV upgrading WGN to HD.

#15 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

I thought we satellite customers saw the same WGN as the citizens of Chicago.

Nope, this hasn't been the case for quite some time.

On the same note, are there also two TBSes . . . one for the local viewers in Atlanta and another for the national audience?

There is now only one TBS -- the national one. The local version is now called Peachtree TV, I believe.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#16 OFFLINE   pdxsam

pdxsam

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

I swear I thought WGN had simply started as a local station and then at one point (a few decades ago) decided to go "superstation" and send its signal out via cable and later satellite. I thought we satellite customers saw the same WGN as the citizens of Chicago.

Years ago we did. In 1988 the new Satellite Home Viewer Act brought in an updated SynDex (Syndication Exclusivity). Syndex says that if a local station is broadcasting a show and they claim Syndex an out of market broadcaster could not show the same show. This caused cable systems all sorts of havoc as they had to figure out how to block WGN in their market when something was claimed. With pressure from the cableco's Tribune created "Superstation" WGN which was syndex free. That's the one most people know.

Used to be.. but not anymore. There was 1 TBS same feed local in Atlanta on Ch 17 and national on cable. Syndex cause them to split out also. They finally converted local WTBS to Peachtree TV.

#17 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

at least for the moment. Recently adding FAMHD and Travel ChannelHD, and WGNHD today.

Let's hope the new sat is ready for some 4th of July fireworks!!!

I guess that DirecTV needs to get rid of 15HD channels then put 3 HD channels back on just like Dish did.:rolleyes:

#18 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

Used to be.. but not anymore. There was 1 TBS same feed local in Atlanta on Ch 17 and national on cable. Syndex cause them to split out also. They finally converted local WTBS to Peachtree TV.

Actually, TBS didn't have much on their schedule that conflicted with the Syndex rules (they had full national rights to most of their shows), so even after 1988, the Superstation and Channel 17 had the same programming at almost all times -- Channel 17 had a few hours of public-service-type shows every week that didn't air on the Superstation.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#19 OFFLINE   JOEPOE

JOEPOE

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

i agree .i do not believe dish is getting this channel first. i am disappointed:nono2:

#20 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Speaking of Syndex, I wonder why Dish has a Superstations Package and D* doesn't?
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

spam firewall