Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AV Receivers With HDMI

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver.
Nothing terribly powerful or overly pricey. Just a nice receiver in the $300-$500 range.
Looking at many models, they list HDMI capability, but when you read the fine print a lot of them only pass video through the HDMI. You still need a separate cable for audio.

Is it that difficult to have the HDMI ports handle audio and video?

Any model recommendations on some that do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 15 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Check the Circuit City web site for Onkyo, Sony and Denon receivers that might fit your needs.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

the new onkyo 606, it has 4 hdmi inouts and retails for $499

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Nothing terribly powerful or overly pricey. Just a nice receiver in the $300-$500 range.
Looking at many models, they list HDMI capability, but when you read the fine print a lot of them only pass video through the HDMI. You still need a separate cable for audio.

I think you're misreading something.

Any HDMI receiver (which is basically all of them nowadays) will handle the video and audio via the HDMI.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Any HDMI receiver (which is basically all of them nowadays) will handle the video and audio via the HDMI.

Interesting point. Any of the receivers which offer HDMI switching should indeed pass the audio as well as the video signal. I have nheard of any that would strip the audio and not pass it. But then, I'd expect that anyone using a receiver that has HDMI switching would be using the receiver for audio anyway.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

I've looked at a number of models that say that the video is pass-through and that a separate audio cable is needed.

Look at the description here.

"HDMI™ Pass-through

Powerful HDMI™ connectivity allows for uncompressed 1080p video to pass through directly to your HDMI™ capable television2. [A separate cable would be needed for audio]."

#7 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

Not neessarily true.

Some less expensive receivers or home theater "packages" only have HDMI passthrough. The HDMI doesnt' send audio signal to the receiver, so if you want to use surround with your HDMI device, you have to run a seperate audio cable. Most receivers didn't point this out and you didn't find out until you got the thing and then did a google search to find out why your HDMI wasn't playing through your speakers!

Onkyo is one of the few that point out the passthrough in their receivers. For instance the HT-SR800 (http://www.onkyousa....&m=HT-SR800&p=i).
A few of their other home theater packages also point out the HDMI passthrough, while all their standalones seem to be true "single cable" solutions.

I don't know how common this is - I haven't kept up on the newest receivers since I'm not quite ready to buy a new one (maybe it'll be our Christmas present this year)...but I've sen threads in various forums with people complaining about the HDMI passthrough of their receiver requiring a seperate audio feed.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#8 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

Follow-up question:
My current setup is 5.1.
Will a 7.1 receiver still work in 5.1 mode, or will I need to get more speakers too?

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Last year I bought Sony's higher end DG1000 for $700 at Best Buy, it does HDMI video switching (both audio and video), not pass through and supports 1080P, lota good that does when my Sony HDTV is 720P. The one modle below that, the DG800, did pass through. It's a great receiver but only has two HDMI inputs, I use one for my DVD player and one for my cable box, I should have waited two months for the DG1100 which I believe has three HDMI inputs but more importantly for me has both an intergrated XM and Sirius tuner.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

I've looked at a number of models that say that the video is pass-through and that a separate audio cable is needed.

Look at the description here.

"HDMI™ Pass-through

Powerful HDMI™ connectivity allows for uncompressed 1080p video to pass through directly to your HDMI™ capable television2. [A separate cable would be needed for audio]."

OK, I slightly mis-understood your point. With the exception of HTIB's, most will still send both, but there are a few that don't (like the one you linked to).

However, if you're using the receiver, there's no need to send audio to your display. You'll be using your receiver for audio, not your TV, so that issue doesn't really even come into play.

If for some reason, you need to send audio to your TV as well and don't want to run a separate cable, I would listen to dave in post #3 and get the Onkyo 606. Currently the best bang for the buck receiver you'll find.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

I'd like to know why A/V receivers still have composite and S video inputs on them? I'd like to see more HDMI inputs instead. :)

#12 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

I would also vote for Sony... I have been a Yamaha Fan for many years and had had several of their receivers over the years including some of their top of the line models.

A friend of mine finally convinced me to give Sony a try so I bought the STR-TG1100 which I guess they finally retired. I have to say I love it and I originally used it in a 5.1 set up but have since upgraded to a 7.1 set up. I was impressed with it from day one and would highly recommend anyone try one out.

I bought mine through J&R when they had it on sale and had it the next day.

Some of you lucky ones might have a Sony Outlet Store near you as well. I have one in my sate but not so close. While they tend not to have them in stock very long they do get some of the higher end models in on a pretty regular basis and might be worth checking in to.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#13 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

I'd like to know why A/V receivers still have composite and S video inputs on them? I'd like to see more HDMI inputs instead. :)

I agree and I wonder how much all of those connections add to the unit cost.
I understand that some backward compatibility must be in the market, but not on every model.

It's the equivalent of floppy disk drives.
At some point, you just gotta let it go.

#14 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

I agree with this as well but just as it seemed to take forever to get more than one HDMI Port added to these Receivers it will take sometime to get rid of the legacy stuff.

This is why I went with my Sony Receiver, It has 3 HDMI's which at the time was a ton. Of course I am using every single one of them and wouldn't mind a few more.

Then of course there will be something new that we will be wanting / needing. Isn't it always the way :eek2:
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#15 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

I have the Denon AVR-1508... which also doesn't support audio over HDMI...

And to answer your follow up question... yes, a 7 channel receiver can still be configured perfectly to work with a 5 speaker setup... That's how I have mine set up... :)

Check out page 11 of this pdf.... http://www.usa.denon...08-OM-E_100.pdf

http://www.usa.denon...AVReceivers.asp
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Any of the receivers which offer HDMI switching should indeed pass the audio as well as the video signal. I have nheard of any that would strip the audio and not pass it.

Not neessarily true.

Some less expensive receivers or home theater "packages" only have HDMI passthrough. The HDMI doesnt' send audio signal to the receiver, so if you want to use surround with your HDMI device, you have to run a seperate audio cable.

There still seems to be a little bit of confusion here... The HDMI does still send an audio signal to the receiver... The problem is, the receiver is not doing anything with the signal coming into it other than passing it right on out another port... Meaning it is not 'grabbing' the audio off of the cable... It is just feeding it on through... which requires for audio to be sent to the receiver in another way...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

I haven't looked in quite a long time now (three years) but Denon has been pretty nice for my own setup, no issues with HDMI, in fact it corrects some audio issues my Sharp would pick up otherwise.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#18 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

My nephew has a lower end Denon surround sound. He has DirecTV and a DVD connected through it's two HDMI inputs. The surround sound definitely works through the HDMI inputs.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#19 OFFLINE   sorahl

sorahl

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I've had mixed, mostly positive, results with the HDMI in my Theater box.
I have the Onkyo 908 HTIB. I'm not using the dvd player that came with it.
Connected to the receiver I have my
HR20-700 directly via HDMI. No issues at all
a Panasonic ( i think) DVD recorder via HDMI . no issues at all
Xbox360 via Component - no issues at all
Wii via Component - no issues
and....
my Media Center PC with a ATI 2400Pro video card Via HDMI
this is where i have my issues. If i connect the HDMI cable direct to my Maxent 50 inch plasma it works perfectly but :) ofcourse the sound is coming out of my TV BLAH!!!
the receiver does NOT accept the audio from the ATI 2400Pro card. I don't know why... so I have a 7.1 USB Audio adapter that works very well via an Optical cable from the device and my receiver.

so with that one little issue it works very well.

John
DirecTV HR21-100
DirecTV HR20-700 x2
DirecTV Tivo (Hughes SD40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
DirecTV Tivo (DirecTV R10) 70 hrs
DirecTV Tivo (Samsung SIR40) 35 hrs (disconnected)
XM SkyFi (disco'd) XM SkyFi2, BoomBox, PCR, Honda Unit, RoadyXT

#20 OFFLINE   rock819

rock819

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

I would recomend the onkyo tx-sr606 as this is the lowest model number that give you hdmi high def audio and video and it has 4 hdmi inputs this will be a nice addition if you have a blu ray player and i picked mine up on ebay for 328.00 a very nice avr for the money

Protected By... spam firewall...And...