Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time for formatting an EHD

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

I hope this isn't too far off topic; Buy.Com is advertising a 1Tb Western Digital for $99.99 with free shipping.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

I hope this isn't too far off topic; Buy.Com is advertising a 1Tb Western Digital for $99.99 with free shipping.

That's a good deal, but you only get about 935GB when you put it in and check the space. I say about 935GB because I don't have mine handy to check the properties. The other 65GB gets lost in the mail!:lol:

#23 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

Thiis is common for hard drives. From Wiki:

Since the early 2000s most consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes (whether it is disk capacity, file size, or system RAM) by 1,073,741,824. This distinction is a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may be reported by the operating system as only 372 GB large, depending on the type of report.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#24 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

That's a good deal, but you only get about 935GB when you put it in and check the space. I say about 935GB because I don't have mine handy to check the properties. The other 65GB gets lost in the mail!:lol:

Referring to post #11 in this thread; aren't you the one who said I didn't lose anything when I formatted my 640Gb drive and ended up with only 595Gb? :confused: Maybe HobbyTalk can give you a lesson in binary. :lol:

Edited by Kent Taylor, 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM.

<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#25 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:29 AM

Referring to post #11 in this thread; aren't you the one who said I didn't lose anything when I formatted my 640Gb drive and ended up with only 595Gb? :confused: Maybe HobbyTalk can give you a lesson in binary. :lol:

I guess some people just don't know when to take a joke.

#26 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

That's about what mine said that it had for space when I first hooked it up. I didn't know why at the time it was missing some space but I do now, errr sort of.

#27 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:32 PM

My 1TB WD Essential formatted to 930.3. I guess my mailman took more than his share. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...