Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM / Sirius merger approved by FCC Chairman- With conditions.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

http://ap.google.com...kPX1DAD91AUU5O0

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission is recommending approval of the $5 billion merger between the nation's two satellite radio broadcasters in exchange for concessions that include turning over 24 channels to noncommercial and minority programming, The Associated Press has learned.

More.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

Well, if it has to go through, it is good that they are not being made to give back half the capacity, but I still think the merger is a bad idea.

I would not hold my breath for the open radio standard. I am sure they will put the same crack team that was working on the interoperable radios on it. Funny how they are saying in response to criticism on the lack of interaparable radios, that they did develop them, but never made them because without a subsidy, they would be too expensive. Now, they say as part of this deal that they will have them out within a year. Unless that year turns to 3 months, I call BS on that as if the design was all done, it should not take a year to come out with one.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

That is good news. I am glad they finally made a decision. :)

#4 OFFLINE   miksmi21

miksmi21

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Right....for or against the merger, it took well long enough. Most hollywood marriages don't last as long as it's taken to approve or disapprove this merger.

On the benefit side....perhaps now I can get NHL and NFL on the same radio without having to flip around wires in my car. Joy!! Though at the expense of buying a new radio.....no Joy.
I'm faster than most snakes! -Dwight Schrute - The Office

DTV HR20-100, HR20-700, HR22-100, iPhone-XM Skydock

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

Recommending the approval is a good step ... not quite a done deal and if Sirius/XM doesn't like the conditions it isn't a deal at all. :)

But it is progress - moving in the right direction.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

A sad day for satellite radio indeed. Now I don't only have to worry about loss of channels due to combing similar channels, but now I lose 24 channels right off the top dedicated to pure garbage. Public interest has ruined TV and now it will satellite radio. I swear if I lose a single one of my favorite stations on either service due to minority crap, all five of my subscriptions across both services will be canceled immediately.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

I think it's a great thing! Nice call, FCC!

#8 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

I too was at first afraid of that "24" must be public stations. Then I realized that Sirius already has many pinko... I mean public stations such as NPR, Pri, BBC, etc.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#9 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

I swear if I lose a single one of my favorite stations on either service due to minority crap, all five of my subscriptions across both services will be canceled immediately.

Ruht roh, good thing they're merging then, because either company on their own may not be able to sustain that financial hit all by itself. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

A sad day for satellite radio indeed. Now I don't only have to worry about loss of channels due to combing similar channels, but now I lose 24 channels right off the top dedicated to pure garbage. Public interest has ruined TV and now it will satellite radio. I swear if I lose a single one of my favorite stations on either service due to minority crap, all five of my subscriptions across both services will be canceled immediately.

Just a thought, but don't they have 24+ redundant channels right now? e.g. ESPN Radio, CNN, etc. So they should just be able to remove the redundancy and give the bandwidth to public interestest without affecting any unique channels.

Of course, they may also determine that some music channels of the same genre are redundant, whereas you (or others) find them unique.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

It still is a "tax" on their bandwidth ... forcing them to do something they didn't want to do. Perhaps a tax they are willing to pay, perhaps not.

#12 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

I think the end result would have been 1 satellite radio company no matter what the outcome. If K-mart kept burying it in the sand, one of the companies (most likely XM) couldn't make it. Now that its approved there will be 1 satellite radio company that may have a chance to make it. I think its great news and totally absurd how long this has taken.

#13 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 812 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

If all the commissioners approve the merger it would be great, but Martin is going to have to push hard to get this through. I wouldn't be surprised to see other commissioners wanting more concessions from the companies before they approve the merger. So while Martin is for it, without the others on board this could go on for another few months.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#14 OFFLINE   marksrader

marksrader

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

This is a bad idea. It eliminates any competition, screws up free market and forces XM customers to bail Sirius out of the stupid Howard Stern deal.
Mark Rader :rolleyes:
1- Phillips (Tivo) DVR
1- HR20-700S HD DVR
1- R15s DVR
1- HR21-100B HD DVR

#15 OFFLINE   eudoxia

eudoxia

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

This is a bad idea. It eliminates any competition, screws up free market and forces XM customers to bail Sirius out of the stupid Howard Stern deal.

Howard Stern made Sirius radio as big as it is, now Martha Stewart that was a mistake. As far as free marketplace, depends on how you define it. Sirius/XM argue they have to compete against all forms of new media (IPod, Wireless, etc.).

This deal is so tiny compared to the mammoth monopolistic deals that were approved in no time. Take a look at the Exxon Mobil deal or the Whirlpool-Maytag which breezed thru approval. Most of the opposition to this deal has come from the NAB and officials they have paid off. Haven't heard many consumers because its such a small marketshare and many things like "ala carte" programming has been promised which is a good thing.

#16 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Isn't it sirius bailing out XM? Sirius subscriber count has gone through the roof. XM hasen't done much. Sure they grew popular fast but their numbers have stagnated. The "stupid" howard stern deal has brought in millions upon millions of new subscribers and put Sirius in a position to buyout XM.
And having owned both i'd take sirius over XM any day.

What this deal means is you get the best of both worlds, lower base pricing as well as some a la carte.

You may want them to stay seperate so you have competition, but all that would do in this case is drive both companies out of business. A pay for radio has a hard time competing against free radio and people just plugging thier ipods into their vehicles.

#17 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

Isn't it sirius bailing out XM? Sirius subscriber count has gone through the roof. XM hasen't done much. Sure they grew popular fast but their numbers have stagnated. The "stupid" howard stern deal has brought in millions upon millions of new subscribers and put Sirius in a position to buyout XM.
And having owned both i'd take sirius over XM any day.

What this deal means is you get the best of both worlds, lower base pricing as well as some a la carte.

You may want them to stay seperate so you have competition, but all that would do in this case is drive both companies out of business. A pay for radio has a hard time competing against free radio and people just plugging thier ipods into their vehicles.

You must be confused - Sirius has 5 year average earnings growth at 4%, XM at 16%. No one is bailing anyone out, it was a necessary move for both companies.

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hmmmph. I am shopping for a new car (Honda, for November) and was hoping this would have been settled long before this so I could get a combo Sirius/XM radio in the car. Looks like it will be XM only though ...

#19 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

That is the worst part of all this. Any development of aftermarket solutions for cars has been dead since this was announced. I had and XM setup in my MINI that allowed full integration. Newer MINIs and BMWS do not have this since Blitzsafe has not developed it.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Not yet.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall