Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM / Sirius merger approved by FCC Chairman- With conditions.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

Howard Stern made Sirius radio as big as it is, now Martha Stewart that was a mistake. As far as free marketplace, depends on how you define it. Sirius/XM argue they have to compete against all forms of new media (IPod, Wireless, etc.).

This deal is so tiny compared to the mammoth monopolistic deals that were approved in no time. Take a look at the Exxon Mobil deal or the Whirlpool-Maytag which breezed thru approval. Most of the opposition to this deal has come from the NAB and officials they have paid off. Haven't heard many consumers because its such a small marketshare and many things like "ala carte" programming has been promised which is a good thing.

I have to agree with you that the FTC & FCC took way too much time twiddling their thumbs!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

The headline to this post is misleading. Nothing has been approved yet. The chairman has recommended approval of the deal. It still needs to be voted on by members of the FCC.

#23 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

Howard will be very happy, so I will be very happy. Tuesdays show should be excellent for all. .:D

Little Folks Rule !
NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#24 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

Well, if it has to go through, it is good that they are not being made to give back half the capacity, but I still think the merger is a bad idea.

I would not hold my breath for the open radio standard. I am sure they will put the same crack team that was working on the interoperable radios on it. Funny how they are saying in response to criticism on the lack of interaparable radios, that they did develop them, but never made them because without a subsidy, they would be too expensive. Now, they say as part of this deal that they will have them out within a year. Unless that year turns to 3 months, I call BS on that as if the design was all done, it should not take a year to come out with one.

i don't think they have any problems getting a dual radios. i think they already have them. they were dragging there feet before, because as seperate companies they wouldn't want u jumping ship to the other so easy. plus i thought i heard that the rules the open standard had to be devloped, but did not say it had to be marketed.

#25 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

This is a bad idea. It eliminates any competition, screws up free market and forces XM customers to bail Sirius out of the stupid Howard Stern deal.

The Howard deal put Sirius on the map. It brought in millions of subscribers. You want to talk about stupid deals? XM bit the big one on the Oprah deal. They pay her what $50 to $60 million for her to be on a half hour a week. She brought in no subscribers. That was a stupid deal that Sirius has to bail XM out of. Atleast Howard brought in subscibers and the subscribers he brought in has already paid for his deal.

#26 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

The big shame in all this is that they (FCC) can let anyone receive remote stations on satellite radio, but thanks to those in Congress not understanding the bill they passed and listening to the hired lobby for local TV stations we can not receive remote (distant) TV networks via satellite.

Shame on those sheep following the party line.

Next election day for vote for someone that can read and comprehend what they are voting for if you can find someone that is not looking to fill the pork barrel at home.

:nono2:
If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#27 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

Just a thought, but don't they have 24+ redundant channels right now? e.g. ESPN Radio, CNN, etc. So they should just be able to remove the redundancy and give the bandwidth to public interestest without affecting any unique channels.

Of course, they may also determine that some music channels of the same genre are redundant, whereas you (or others) find them unique.

Only nine channels are redundent, Radio Disney, ESPN Radio, E! Radio, Bloomberg Radio, Fox News & Talk, Fox News Channel, CNN, CNN Headline News and CNBc.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#28 OFFLINE   waynenm

waynenm

I like this stuff.

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

Which means 15 channels are at risk? If we lose XM 40, 45, 50, 70 and some of my other favorites. I'll be going back to MP3s in the car..
\//
HR24-500 Native Off, 2TB internal Drive
HR22-100 Native Off, 2TB eSata External Drive
(WD20EVDS in an Antec MX-1)
HDMI Gefen 1:2 HDMI Splitter
LG BD-390 Blu-ray streaming Netflix
Hardwired Ethernet
Sony KDL-40V2500 + KLV-S23A10
Sirius/XM Radio all over the place
Harmony One

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

Why is there an assumption that channels will be dropped? Is each provider maxed out on bandwidth? If they're not, I would expect with the combined might of the two companies they could figure out a way to add 15+ new channels to meet the FCC requirements for public service channels (assuming the 9 redundant channels identified by Steve are re-purposed to the same end) so that no existing unique channels are dropped.

#30 OFFLINE   waynenm

waynenm

I like this stuff.

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

I hope you're right Drew. I really like XM, and it would be like the many times I've lost favorite FM stations over the years if channels are dropped for no reason. If you're willing to pay for a subscription, and that includes commercial free content, it's a bit daunting to have the provider start screwing with your programming. I guess we'll all see what happens next.
\//
HR24-500 Native Off, 2TB internal Drive
HR22-100 Native Off, 2TB eSata External Drive
(WD20EVDS in an Antec MX-1)
HDMI Gefen 1:2 HDMI Splitter
LG BD-390 Blu-ray streaming Netflix
Hardwired Ethernet
Sony KDL-40V2500 + KLV-S23A10
Sirius/XM Radio all over the place
Harmony One

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

Why is there an assumption that channels will be dropped? Is each provider maxed out on bandwidth?

How many channels were 'borrowed' for sports coverage? If they don't have space for seven or eight channels free for the overflowing sports where are they going to the the space for new permanent channels?

If this deal is accepted it's either lost channels or more compression.

#32 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:49 AM

So why not get new satellites up there to alleviate the space issues?

#33 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

The big shame in all this is that they (FCC) can let anyone receive remote stations on satellite radio, but thanks to those in Congress not understanding the bill they passed and listening to the hired lobby for local TV stations we can not receive remote (distant) TV networks via satellite.

The difference is that the TV stations do not want to be received by distant viewers, but the radio stations do want to be on satellite.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#34 OFFLINE   Teagore

Teagore

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

i just want to get a few things straight here, it's really annoying reading people speculate about some of this when i know some of the answers because i pay attention to a service that i am paying for. first, the radios. Mel Karmazin, the ceo of sirius, who would also be the ceo of the new combined company, has stated on Howards show several times that new radios are not necessary right away because they can simulcast stations across the radios. picking up xm stations on sirius radios and vice-versa. it has to do with cost and convenience. imagine microsoft buying nintendo, do you think both companies would still make their own game systems? same thing here. second, as far as who is bailing who out. It has been stated by several people (including Mel) that if the merger didn't go through, one of the companies would more then likely declare bankruptcy, and then be bought by the surviving company anyway. but going that route has drawbacks for the bankrupt company. so yes, it is needed by both companies, but more then likely one of them was going to go bye-bye anyway. but it's funny how the company who'[s doing the buying (sirius) has a stock price of $2.62 and xm as a stock price of $11.30. who's bailing out who? third, tcusta00, i don't know where you get your numbers from, but if you check http:///www.orbitcas...is-closing.html you will see just how close in the numbers the two companies really are. the reason the merger has taken soooo long is because of the free radio lobbyists putting $$ in the pockets of the people who vote on these things. they are a big group with a lot of influence. you think taking this long is normal? they have been against the merger from the beginning. lastly, as far as the bandwidth issue goes, i fully expect dozens of music channels to go bye-bye. using up all that bandwidth for duplicates of the same music "categories" would be a waste. 2 70's channels, 2 90's channels, ect. the only real issue is the 2 companies deciding what channels to keep from each others programming when they consolidate. btw, sorry if this came off as a bullish rant :hurah:
100 years of destiny is upon us.

#35 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

For some info not straight from the company, the services are both maxed out right now and they want to do video. If they have to give services to public intrest channels, they have to either drop some they have now or starve them for bit rate. This will have a massive impact on quality as the current sound quality suffers at times.

As far as not needing a radio, how will they give me the simulcast channels considering the bandwidth crunch? They can;t. So, I guess they are just going to kill the quality to give me some Sirius channels that I do not want, since if I did want them, I am free to get Sirius tomorrow. If they would bring out a new radio, then I could at least getboth.

Then, how can they say that they only needed to develop a dual band radio but not sell, it, that is marketing BS straight from the Sat Radio companies. Why would they Feds have that requirement in the original deal if they did not mean for the radio to be sold? It was widely reported when the services debuted that they would be coming out with dual band radios soon and both companies never said a thing to deny it, while basking in all the free publicity the news stories gave them. Of course, the original license also said no merger, but why let those silly little things stop us?

Yes there is some duplication, but again, how can that save bandwidth if I have no radio to pick up and decode the Sirus frequencies? Sure, they could take all the decades channels on the 2 services and save 7 channels, but since Mel does not think I need a new radio, they still have to send out the same thing twice. THe best thing they can do is leave everythign alone until they can change out radios for people and then make the changes.

I would love to be proven wrong, but this is not a good deal for the consumers of Satellite radio. Maybe one or both would have gone out, but what we will get out of this is no better IMO. At least if one went out, another company migh have decided to give it a try.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#36 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

Why is there an assumption that channels will be dropped? Is each provider maxed out on bandwidth?

Have you heard XM from the satellites lately? Compresssssed to the maxxxxxx. They are treading on being out of bandwidth based on the latest lack of SQ.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

The difference is that the TV stations do not want to be received by distant viewers, but the radio stations do want to be on satellite.

There is also a rights difference. Any TV station can be aired in any market that the station wants ... all they have to do is sign an agreement with a satellite carrier and have the rights to air their programs in that "foreign" market. The first part is pointless without the second ... who wants to watch WNBC out of NY with all the NBC, syndicated and regional rights content blacked out?

There are market exclusives in radio ... perhaps if satellite radio grows it will go the same way as satellite TV ... with rights owners protecting the local station contracts by not allowing a satellite competitor. Then again perhaps satellite radio will be allowed to continue being above exclusive rights. It's all up to the industry.

#38 OFFLINE   satwood

satwood

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Here is an interesting commentary on this subject from some colleagues of mine.

http://displaydaily....video-services/

Steve
Technology Consultant
1 - H20, 2 - D11, 1 - H21
AT-9 Dish, DirecTV since 2000

#39 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Have you heard XM from the satellites lately? Compresssssed to the maxxxxxx. They are treading on being out of bandwidth based on the latest lack of SQ.

As opposed to XM from ....?

Yes, I have heard XM from the satellite lately - every day in fact, as it's in the car - and it sounds great to me.

#40 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Mel Karmazin, the ceo of sirius, who would also be the ceo of the new combined company, has stated on Howards show several times that new radios are not necessary right away because they can simulcast stations across the radios. picking up xm stations on sirius radios and vice-versa.

So you're saying they each have the bandwidth to simulcast the alternate service? Hmmm ...

Compresssssed to the maxxxxxx. They are treading on being out of bandwidth based on the latest lack of SQ.

Others here think they're already overcompressed as it is, implying that there is NO bandwidth ...

spam firewall