Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM / Sirius merger approved by FCC Chairman- With conditions.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Don;t beleive the hype. Once the combination is done, they will absolutely have to reduce choices and increase compression drastically to do what Mel is saying.

For proof that XM is to the max. Each year when they add their 4 or 5 holiday channels, they have to get rid of the same number of channels temporarily. People complain about it every year, so you know that they would not do it if they had the extra bandwidth.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

As opposed to XM from ....?

Yes, I have heard XM from the satellite lately - every day in fact, as it's in the car - and it sounds great to me.

Drew, I agree with you. The music channels to me sound great. But other channels have always sounded like crap. Take the XL Comedy channel. It's always sounded like AM radio to me.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#43 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Drew, I agree with you. The music channels to me sound great. But other channels have always sounded like crap. Take the XL Comedy channel. It's always sounded like AM radio to me.

I listen to that channel almost every day and it sounds fine to me... The problem with that channel in particular is that the recordings are made from comedy clubs across the country with different quality soundboards (if it's a soundboard recording at all) so you have serious variations in quality. When Sonny Fox does his in-between bit commentaries and interviews the quality is always fine to me.

#44 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

Why is there an assumption that channels will be dropped?

I realize this is (very) old data, but when the idea of merged satellite services cropped up, a proposed line-up was leaked to the Internet.

http://dbstalk.com/s...ad.php?t=100820

One of the channels to be dropped was XM 82. I voiced my displeasure way back then to XM.
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI

#45 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

I listen to that channel almost every day and it sounds fine to me... The problem with that channel in particular is that the recordings are made from comedy clubs across the country with different quality soundboards (if it's a soundboard recording at all) so you have serious variations in quality. When Sonny Fox does his in-between bit commentaries and interviews the quality is always fine to me.

You must have tin ears. There's no comparison between XM 150 and any of the other music channels. Listen to the same comedy recording from somewhere like iTunes or Rhapsody. It's full fidelity stereo. XM compresses the crap out of their "voice only" channels, except for XM 202 where O&A are.

#46 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

You must have tin ears. There's no comparison between XM 150 and any of the other music channels. Listen to the same comedy recording from somewhere like iTunes or Rhapsody. It's full fidelity stereo. XM compresses the crap out of their "voice only" channels, except for XM 202 where O&A are.

I guess I have tin ears then. :rolleyes:

#47 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

As opposed to XM from ....?

DirecTV or online.

Yes, I have heard XM from the satellite lately - every day in fact, as it's in the car - and it sounds great to me.

I used to think XM sounded OK. Then I tried the competition and found that, while neither is CD quality the dog sounds a little better with less harsh SSSHHH sounds and just sounds more "natural". However, the XMHD Channels sound fantastic, both of them.

#48 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

It's full fidelity stereo. XM compresses the crap out of their "voice only" channels, except for XM 202 where O&A are.

That's too bad. Talk about material in need of huge amounts of compression. ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#49 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,958 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

DirecTV or online.

I would think if XM was bit-starved for transmissions direct from their birds to their receivers, then XM would also be bit-starved from their birds to DIRECTV's uplink centers back down to DIRECTV receivers ...

#50 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

I would think if XM was bit-starved for transmissions direct from their birds to their receivers, then XM would also be bit-starved from their birds to DIRECTV's uplink centers back down to DIRECTV receivers ...

From what they were saying on the XMfan.com forums, the feed from XM to DTV is pretty much full bandwidth and then DTV compresses them for the birds. The only reason XM and Sirius are bit starved from the sats is because they both have a very limited bandwidth - similar to the situation on DTV's non-HD channels.

I do know that the sound out of the DTV receiver is much better than what I get off the satellites.

#51 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

I don't believe that DirecTV picks the signal up from the same XM satellites that consumers do. The feed on my XM receiver is a couple of seconds behind the feed coming from DirecTV.

Perhaps someone with direct knowledge can comment, but I think DirecTV gets a fiber feed or its own satellite feed, which may not have the severe bandwidth limitations one finds on the consumer XM satellites.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,096 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

It certainly would be a lot simpler to work with direct feeds from XM (or Sirius for DISH customers). Can you imagine a bank of 60 satellite radios feeding audio to encoders? It's already encoded at XM/Sirius ... why not just tap off of those feeds?

#53 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

If only XM would drop their traffic and weather service... Those have gotta eat up bandwidth. (http://www.xmradio.c...ather/index.xmc)

#54 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

Actually, the traffic and weather channels are compressed to crazy levels so while they (and the channels like CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, etc do take up space, you can get several of them in the space of one music channel.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#55 OFFLINE   AtlantaAdGuy

AtlantaAdGuy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Why does everyone assume XM and Sirius will carry the same basic programming after the merger.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to make one of the services more music oriented and the other more news, information and sports oriented. Thus ultimately giving people a reason to subscribe to both?

Plus, not duplicating some of the programming that's currently on both services would free up additional bandwidth for new programming.

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,096 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Why does everyone assume XM and Sirius will carry the same basic programming after the merger.

See http://www.siriusmerger.com/

The planed programming packages are up on that site. We assume it because we are told. :)

#57 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Lee - I'm not talking about traffic and weather channels. I'm talking about XM WX (see link in earlier post).

#58 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

Lee - I'm not talking about traffic and weather channels. I'm talking about XM WX (see link in earlier post).

XM WX is a data service, which most likely takes up very little bandwidth in the scheme of things.

#59 OFFLINE   DirecTV3049

DirecTV3049

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

FCC Commissioner Adelstein wants more concessions - and he may be the key vote to approving this merger. More here: http://apnews.myway..../D9205MQG1.html

#60 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

He wants them to give away 25% of their bandwidth. The guy is nuts and, obviously has no real world, non-government experience. Then again, he's only half as stupid as those who wanted them to give away half of the bandwidth earlier in this process. Anyone who wants this to go through had better hope this guy's vote isn't needed.

I wonder what 75 channels of "non commercial and minority" programmnig would be like. I don't know if there is enough public radio type programming out there.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...