Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording back to back programs

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sjm992

sjm992

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

My 622 recently lost the ability to set up timers for back to back programs - I have to choose one or the other unless I adjust the start and finish times. Any idea how I can get this feature back? I'm in single user mode.
Stuart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

My 622 recently lost the ability to set up timers for back to back programs - I have to choose one or the other unless I adjust the start and finish times. Any idea how I can get this feature back? I'm in single user mode.
Stuart

Can you explain further? What is your Start Time and End Time settings? You may need to adjust that if you're still using the default.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

Can you explain further? What is your Start Time and End Time settings? You may need to adjust that if you're still using the default.

However, in Single Mode as long as another event is not also being recorded, if there is a conflict in Start/End times the second tuner should record one of the back to back events.

#4 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

Removing the "padding" time on the timers should fix it. This didn't used to be necessary, but there was a backslide in a recent software release that crippled things.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

Can we get more details on this?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

yeah this is kind of annoying, SW should be smart enough to know if back to back on the same channel then allow it to record. Especially if you are using the ATSC tuner since there is only 1.

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:12 AM

Removing the "padding" time on the timers should fix it. This didn't used to be necessary, but there was a backslide in a recent software release that crippled things.

Its still not necessary with the default pads. Of course for some shows I have changed the Pads (ABC, for example, has a tendency to start and add some shows not on the hour. Occassionally when I show I have selected moves a show to be right after one of the shows that I changed the pad, I see the problems that the OP mentioned. If you have the time it pays each day to check your "schedule" to see if any shows you want are being shown as skipped, and make the necessary adjustments.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#8 OFFLINE   sjm992

sjm992

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

That fixed it! I took a couple of minutes out of the padding, thanks for your help. All the same, it used to know that they were back to back and just record them.

#9 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

Its still not necessary with the default pads.

It has been for me, and apparently others. If you haven't run into that yet, I hope you never do! (Are you on 5.1x yet?)

#10 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

This problem has become an issue for me with L6.16 on my 722. Has anyone been experiencing this with the latest software release?
Gary

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Can you provide more steps. I have a lot of timers that are set back to back and I am not having the issue. Can you provide steps where you see this? Need more details.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#12 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

Can you provide more steps. I have a lot of timers that are set back to back and I am not having the issue. Can you provide steps where you see this? Need more details.

Sure, Monday nights I record CBS for all the sitcoms through the evening all in a row. Plus I have two other shows set to record at different times on other channels. One at 8 and another at 9. Since the new software, the CBS shows I had set to record came up with X's except the first show of the evening. There was a conflict with the rest of the shows on CBS with each other and the other 2 shows on the different channels. I had to edit the start and finish time on the rest of the CBS shows so they did not start early or end late. It should have just used one tuner to record the whole series and the other tuner to record the other stations set at 8 and 9. What it was trying to do was switch between tuner 1 and 2 as the CBS shows changed. I had never had that problem before.
Gary

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

What was your padding on your Timers? What is set to the default of 3 minutes or some other value?

#14 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

One minute before and 5 minutes late. I tried changing the end time to one minute and it didn't fix it.
Gary

#15 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Try a test and change it to 1 and 3 I believe. That is the defaults and see if that helps. Something is odd here. My understanding is that if you leave it at the defaults then it will do the back to back properly. If you change the padding it won't.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Is this how it worked pre 6.16?

#16 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:02 AM

yeah this is kind of annoying, SW should be smart enough to know if back to back on the same channel then allow it to record. Especially if you are using the ATSC tuner since there is only 1.

No DVR I've ever seen or used - 622/722, TiVo, Elgato EyeTV software - knows that two back-to-back programs can be recorded on the same tuner; I suspect because it's because there's no way for the software to duplicate recordings.

For example, say House is set to record on Fox from 7:58 to 9:02, and 24 is set to record from 8:58 to 10:02.

There's no way for the DVR to duplicate the overlap so that 8:58 to 9:02 appears in both recordings without using two tuners to do it.

#17 OFFLINE   garyhesq

garyhesq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:04 AM

I tried what Ron suggested and it worked. As soon as I tried to just add padding the timer failed. I deleted them and recreated with 1 minute before and 3 after and all is well. I'm not sure how the originals got set to record 5 min after but it's not set that way now and all is well.
Gary

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:39 AM

No DVR I've ever seen or used - 622/722, TiVo, Elgato EyeTV software - knows that two back-to-back programs can be recorded on the same tuner; I suspect because it's because there's no way for the software to duplicate recordings.

For example, say House is set to record on Fox from 7:58 to 9:02, and 24 is set to record from 8:58 to 10:02.

There's no way for the DVR to duplicate the overlap so that 8:58 to 9:02 appears in both recordings without using two tuners to do it.

FWIW, the DirecTV boxes do exactly what you describe above by default, in case you want to make a new feature request.

They schedule consecutive recordings on the same channel on the same tuner and auto-pad the first recording's end-time by 90 seconds and the second recording's start-time by 30 seconds.

You can also increase the extent of the overlap by padding manually.

/steve

#19 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

The receiver specifically checks for the 1/3 pad and then knows it can use the same tuner for two recordings. If you change the default pad to something other than 1/3 it fails the test and different tuners are required. At least that's the way it has always worked in the past.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

DirecTV user here, curious how the Dish default 1/3 padding works. I assume that padding is conditional? I.e., only if it won't cause a conflict with a recording in the previous or next time slot?

And if so, is it adaptive? Will it automatically drop down to 1/1 or 1/2, if that's all that's needed to avoid a conflict?

TIA for the explanation. /steve

spam firewall