Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will you use the NBC On Demand?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you use the NBC On Demand service? (470 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you use the NBC On Demand service?

1. Only if free. (431 votes [91.51%])

Percentage of vote: 91.51%

2. Yes, often. (9 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

3. Yes, rarely. (21 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. Would use, but only at a lower price. (10 votes [2.12%])

Percentage of vote: 2.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   srevis

srevis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

I will watch it on my laptop or pc for free through many different sources before I would pay for it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   edpowers

edpowers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

If it were free, I'd probably use it more - it'd be a good way to "test drive" shows that we don't watch. Especially on a weekend when we're looking for something to watch. But I definately won't pay to "test drive" a show.

This is exactly why I think its hilarious that out of all the networks, NBC has the nerve to charge $1.99 per HD episode. Sitting dead last in the ratings, you'd think NBC would be smart enough to get a bunch of their shows On Demand for people to test drive. Instead they take 3 of their more popular shows and try to squeeze 2 bucks out of the relatively small audience they already have. And popular by NBC standards isn't saying much. The 30 Rock season finale had a 2.1 share. It was trounced by CSI and Grey's Anatomy ... and tied with 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' on Fox. I'm a huge fan of The Office and 30 Rock, but NBC needs to find NEW viewers and stop trying to get an extra $2 bucks out of their small population of current viewers.

#23 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thats why I have a DVR, I set a SL for the shows I want to watch.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#24 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

You guys crack me up with this "only if it's free stuff" Apple, Microsoft have NBC shows and it's not free. If you want it for free then watch it on HULU or nbc.com.

Drew2k said in another thread that he thinks Comcast shows NBC shows with there InDemand service for free. I can't find that anywhere that is the case, including there website.

So, if you don't use it fine. But for FREE, no one else does this, why should Direct TV.

Edit: Looking through Comcast website again, maybe it is free. There is no prices attached to the shows. So if you want NBC shows for free you can switch to Comcast ( enjoy that ), Hulu.com and NBC.com. Until you see Apple and Microsoft show NBC programming for free then good luck getting Direct TV to do it.
Dave

#25 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

You need to add another option

Maybe! Depends if NBC selection improves

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#26 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

It isn't that we're really insisting that the content be free... It just happens to be the most logical choice on this poll...

My biggest problem is the 24hour rule... I'm not going to pay to view a TV show that I can only view for one day... That's why your comparisons to apple are not fair... I have several seasons of TV shows on my apple TV that I happily paid for... But I can view them as many times as I would like/for as long as I want...

You guys crack me up with this "only if it's free stuff" Apple, Microsoft have NBC shows and it's not free. If you want it for free then watch it on HULU or nbc.com.

Drew2k said in another thread that he thinks Comcast shows NBC shows with there InDemand service for free. I can't find that anywhere that is the case, including there website.

So, if you don't use it fine. But for FREE, no one else does this, why should Direct TV.

Edit: Looking through Comcast website again, maybe it is free. There is no prices attached to the shows. So if you want NBC shows for free you can switch to Comcast ( enjoy that ), Hulu.com and NBC.com. Until you see Apple and Microsoft show NBC programming for free then good luck getting Direct TV to do it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

I would use it to pick up an episode of something I missed, and would pay but only if it is commercial free...

Something you missed or something the HR2x missed? If the latter shouldn't DirecTv pay the $$$ for the VOD.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#28 OFFLINE   edpowers

edpowers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I could care less about the $2 fee and will never buy anything, since I can get all of these shows for free by hitting my record button twice. But I do think you are comparing Apples to Oranges. What are the monthly subscription fees for Apple and Microsoft downloaders? There is a big difference between a paid subscription VOD service (like Comcast and Directv) and an online a la carte shop (like Itunes and Xbox).

#29 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Something you missed or something the HR2x missed? If the latter shouldn't DirecTv pay the $$$ for the VOD.

Something I missed... I had that happen the other night, because I forgot to set it up to record. I haven't had a missed recording caused by the HR2X's in a long, long time...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#30 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

I will use it rarely if there is an episode I completely missed for whatever reason. A buck is not a lot to ask.

A buck is too much for something i get off an antenna for free... the only way it would be worth it is if they made the shows available 1 week before they broadcast them.

#31 OFFLINE   shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • Locationzanesville ohio

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

doesnt make sense, dtv wont give me my local channel in hd for nbc, but they will give us shows in hd from nbc, and charge us for them?

#32 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Never unless free. I do not pay for free TV shows, ever, unless I'm buying the DVD set.

#33 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

doesnt make sense, dtv wont give me my local channel in hd for nbc, but they will give us shows in hd from nbc, and charge us for them?

well its probably not D*as much as it is NBC wanting the cash.

#34 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Only if free
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R22-100, HDMI, Networked (wired), Native on, Samsung 32" LCD
(1) H21, HDMI, Networked (wired), LG 42" LCD
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#35 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

Dittos. There is no way I would PAY for a show I can simply watch for free (literally free, since I get HD locals OTA) or record on that basis.

I look for this venture to quietly go away after about a year, as there simply is not a demand for it.

#36 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:19 AM

No
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

#37 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:05 AM

I will watch it on my laptop or pc for free through many different sources before I would pay for it.

+ 1
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#38 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

Never unless free. I do not pay for free TV shows, ever, unless I'm buying the DVD set.

agree...except I won't even buy the DVD sets...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

#39 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

I will use it rarely if there is an episode I completely missed for whatever reason. A buck is not a lot to ask.

Unless the reason you missed it is due to some "accidental" setting of a flag by NBC.

Couple this with the Flag situation and we see some interesting new revenue streasms for both DirecTV and NBC. Oops, sorry your guide data was wrong (and its not our fault even though we contract for it and deliver it) or oops sorry about that flag, we did not mean to, really. Oops sorry you got some random error that you are imagining on your HR20. Just go ahead and pay the low low price of $2.00 to watch it.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#40 OFFLINE   cb7214

cb7214

Icon

• Registered
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

only if free, maybe they could discount for the entire season too like on Itunes at least
Directv Subscriber since 1999

XM Subscriber since June 2005

spam firewall