Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will you use the NBC On Demand?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you use the NBC On Demand service? (470 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you use the NBC On Demand service?

1. Only if free. (431 votes [91.51%])

Percentage of vote: 91.51%

2. Yes, often. (9 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

3. Yes, rarely. (21 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. Would use, but only at a lower price. (10 votes [2.12%])

Percentage of vote: 2.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Agree, I NEVER watch NBC.

+2

Although, I'd like to keep open the possibility that something watchable might eventually show up on the network in the future that'd be worth spending the time to watch on VOD if I happened to both miss it and fail to schedule a recording. If I didn't have to pay for it.

As it stands, the net is so messed up that, not only is their entertainment awful and their "news" abysmal, I can't even watch their football, thanks to the omnipresent spectre of Olbermann. You'd have to come up with substantial coin if you wanted to pay me to watch their dreck -- and I'm not sure I'd do it then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

So Mrs. Enginerd and I were talking about this as we just checked out NBC on Demand for the first time.

$1.99 for a 1 hour episode of The Office? I love that show A LOT but we can't justify spending $1.99 for 1 episode. I suppose there's a target market for this. With the state of the economy and the lack of extra income I can't imagine they'll see large revenues from this.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#63 OFFLINE   alexjb12

alexjb12

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

back when i had cablevision, they had a per episode charge with a 24 hour limit
Living Room
Philips 42" Plasma with Ambilight
HR20-700-- HDMI and Optical Audio
Sony - 800W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

Bedroom
Vizio 32" VX32L LCD
HR21-700 -- Component

Computer Room
Dell 17" LCD HDTV
R15-300 S-Video

My Full Q3 2008 Setup

#64 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

The only reason I would watch NBC on demand is to see something that is being ruined by my local affilates massive weather bugs. That isn't worth money for broadcast TV programs.

#65 OFFLINE   ebockelman

ebockelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

I'd pay per episode if like Apple TV, I'd get to KEEP that episode. Apple charges 1.99 an episode, but it stays there.

That's the case with Tivo/Amazon as well. You even get to redownload it for free later.

#66 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

It isn't that we're really insisting that the content be free... It just happens to be the most logical choice on this poll...

My biggest problem is the 24hour rule... I'm not going to pay to view a TV show that I can only view for one day... That's why your comparisons to apple are not fair... I have several seasons of TV shows on my apple TV that I happily paid for... But I can view them as many times as I would like/for as long as I want...

I agree with you on this. I would use this and PPV if there wasn't a 24hr "rule". Sometimes you're interrupted by "real life" while watching a program and can't get back to it within 24hrs.

#67 OFFLINE   fredandbetty

fredandbetty

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

No sir, no way, ( and i REALLY like Heroes), BUT not if i can only have it for 24hrs( someone will correct me if i'm wrong)
5-LNB Dish, AT9 Dish, Zinwell multiswitch
2- HR20-700 ( Ver. 0x038E) HDMI connection, Native - On, Animations -OFF :) , R15-100 and R15-300
Mitsubishi 52"

AT&T U-verse Internet

#68 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Nope.................

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#69 OFFLINE   walker

walker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

sorry for not reading entire thread and probably repeating earlier comments....

maybe i'm missing something, but why is this even a debate and why are they charging for nbc on demand in the first place rather than other channels? i ask why there is even a debate b/c you can watch everything dtv's nbc on demand offers plus a TON more and not wait for a download on hulu for free 24/7. i guess if you just have a lot of money to throw around then its not an issue and really shouldn't be for anyone else since they have free alternatives, but i think the real frustration with something like this is the fact that most of us already pay ridiculous amounts to dtv each month (voluntarily of course) and that loyalty doesn't seem to be recognized by dtv. i know they are a business and there is no law that says they have to give customers that pay a certain amount a few perks, but any business that has great longevity rewards its loyal customers in some manner. it doesn't have to be a lot, just something to let your customers know that you recognize the fact that they have been loyal to your business and are part of the reason you are still in business. a perfect example is the dtv magazine/guide. i know it doesn't cost that much, but i refuse to pay for it b/c i really think this is one of those things that should be included once you reach a certain tier. obviously, i don't have to have it and not having it doesn't affect my life one way or the other, but i'm just saying.........

overall, i am a very happy dtv customer and haven't even considered changing to someone else, but it would be nice to know they even know i exist in case something happens in the future that may change my opinion.
hdmi>hr20-700

#70 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

Same thing, same price on Amazon Unbox and it's yours forever....and you can use it on 2 computers and 2 media devices simutaneously.

NO WAY I'll ever use this at it is now.

#71 OFFLINE   Blitz68

Blitz68

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

Only if free.

Not going to pay for free TV.

When will this s@%t stop? :mad:
DirecTV Since 1995
(1)HR20-700S
(1)HR21-700B
(1)HR23-700
(1)HR10-250
(2)R15-500
(1)R15-100
(1)D11

#72 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

I will use it only if I miss a key episode because of a power outage and I cannot find it in Netflix via Roku or on a bit torrent.

So, I couldn't say no but the option of only in an extreme emergency was not given.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#73 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

I would use it if they had CURRENT episodes. I had a black screen recording of Fear Itself last week and would have paid to be able to watch it in HD. I wound up watching it on Hulu, but at least it was 16x9.
Richard
Sr Network Engineer

#74 OFFLINE   NFLnut

NFLnut

Icon

• Registered
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I can't think of a show ON NBC that I watch! Why would I want to pay for shows I don't watch in the first place?

NBC has gone in the toilet! They've even managed to kill Sunday Night Football by putting Keith Booberman on it! I watch EVERYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with football. But I CANNOT STAND Sunday Night Football with that idiot on it, and have thus deleted it from my schedule! I've always watched two games on Sunday, and USED to watch three. Now, I'm back to two.
HDTV: Samsung HL-S7178 DLP to HR24/20 via HDMI
HR20/24 Config: 1080p | Native On | D Digital ON | OTA Active (HR20)| via ethernet cable | Always ON
(1) HR20; (1) HR24
(2) Philips DSR6000 DirecTiVos
HD+SD DVR's to 8 LCDs on Extron matrix switch
Audio: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver
Dish & Cables: AT9 Dish | four RG-6 to Zinwell WB68 | two RG-6 to HR20 | two RG-6 to upstairs Zinwell 6802 Multiswitch | Rad Shack unidirect antenna in attic
DirecTV since 1995 | NFL-ST since 1995 | TiVo since '00

#75 OFFLINE   anubys

anubys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

I can't think of a show ON NBC that I watch! Why would I want to pay for shows I don't watch in the first place?

NBC has gone in the toilet! They've even managed to kill Sunday Night Football by putting Keith Booberman on it! I watch EVERYTHING that has ANYTHING to do with football. But I CANNOT STAND Sunday Night Football with that idiot on it, and have thus deleted it from my schedule! I've always watched two games on Sunday, and USED to watch three. Now, I'm back to two.

right off the top of my head, I could name The Office, My Name is Earl, and 30 Rock as must see...

that seems to be a very extreme reaction for someone who loves football...Keith is only on in the pre-game and half time...you can easily FF through that and still watch the game...
DVR Equipment:
1 HR20-100
2 HR21-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
2 HR22-100 (each upgraded to 1 TB)
AM21 hooked up to one HR21

#76 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Wow, bring back a thread from the dead. :)

No need for NBC VOD anyway, use Hulu. :D

#77 OFFLINE   MLBurks

MLBurks

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

"Chuck" is the only thing I watch on NBC. Before "Chuck" came on, I hadn't watched NBC in years.

#78 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

right off the top of my head, I could name The Office, My Name is Earl, and 30 Rock as must see...

I used to watch Earl, gave 30 Rock a spin (wasn't for me), but my "must see" is The Office. Best Network show currently airing, IMO. Comedy must not be your thing NFLNut.

As far as NBC On Demand, I don't have waivers for it through DIRECTV so it's probably a no go, but I get it over-the-air and even if I didn't, as BonScott87 states, there's always Hulu.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#79 OFFLINE   edpowers

edpowers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

You call yourself an NFL nut but you only watch 2-3 games every Sunday?

#80 OFFLINE   CalGal

CalGal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

At .99 an episode it is cheaper for me to keep Netflix and order Blu-ray of past episodes.

Dawn

Protected By... spam firewall...And...