Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will you use the NBC On Demand?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you use the NBC On Demand service? (470 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you use the NBC On Demand service?

1. Only if free. (431 votes [91.51%])

Percentage of vote: 91.51%

2. Yes, often. (9 votes [1.91%])

Percentage of vote: 1.91%

3. Yes, rarely. (21 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. Would use, but only at a lower price. (10 votes [2.12%])

Percentage of vote: 2.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   Altcool

Altcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Charging a fee for a services the can be obtained for free = great business plan. Customers who pay the fee = priceless
AU9 SWM16 HR21 HR23 HR24 HR24 H20 H24 H24 R22 D12 AM21
Wish List: HR44, SWM32

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   sbianchi

sbianchi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Sometimes I just don't understand the industry I work in.

Does NBC/Uni really think they will be able to generate enough revenue to really make it worth providing the service under this model?

I love tv, every new season I build out a full chart to make sure all of the new shows are covered on one of my dvrs but I don't think I would ever use this service unless it was free. Why would a viewer pay for an episode if he/she already can record it for free?

I understand the itunes model and even hulu, but not directv or even cable. Now if there is online/cable/sat only features and specials not available on broadcast sure I get it. But wouldn't it be better to just push a commercial or two along with the vod episode and let it be advertiser supported??

#83 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,407 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I missed that NBC was availabe on-demand. Are the $1 download episodes commercial-free? If not, aren't most episodes available on NBC.com for free, though I realize you'll be watching them on a different display.

/steve
/steve

#84 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

My laptop has an HDMI output, so I can always watch online for free, and get a great picture/sound.

The Little Rock NBC affiliate is notorious for filling up the screen with weather alerts every time it rains (which is extremely helpful when you are watching a DVR three days later), so I would occasionally use this feature if it were free.

#85 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Missed recording ER last week due to the ever-present overlapping program times. Watched it via PlayOn and Hulu but the quality is not the greatest on a 1MB DSL line. I would have gladly paid a .99 tick fee to download the HD version via DoD.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

spam firewall