Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R15 Harddrive dead, need help

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   glackowitz

glackowitz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:14 PM

I do own the unit as I am a dealer..A/V company. so we had to buy them. I just ordered a drive to put in and see if it fixes it, If not then I will buy a HD unit. I am hoping it cures the issue and all is well as a 40.00 drive is way less than a new HD unit, Although I would like the VOD service and some HD content.

Thanks for the info, will update my findings when the drive arrives and gets installed
Remote Central Moderator
www.remotecentral.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   glackowitz

glackowitz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

OK here is an update...New drive...No go did the same rec light blink and no action on the hard drive.

So reading from another forum there was mention of a couple of capacitors that seemed to be bulging....I looked and there were 2 that had slightly lifted tops. They were 1000uf 10v electrolytic capacitors.Radio shack doesnt have 10v so I used 35v. A tad larger in diameter but still fit down in there, re installed the power board and BAM...blue screens and a HDD format screen. I powered it down and reinstalled old drive and TADA..it was working too and still has my shows on it. Wife is happy now and all is well

The Drive I bought was a Seagate ST3160212ACE 160gb which is what comes in the R15-500 units it seems

Thanks for all the info
Glack
Remote Central Moderator
www.remotecentral.com

#43 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:10 PM

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Look into where you are keeping the DVR and make sure that it has enough ventilation. You might also want to check to see what temperature it is running at. If the capacitors are starting to bulge on you, that can definitely be indicative of a heat issue within the DVR.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#44 OFFLINE   glackowitz

glackowitz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

OK, new update...Drive failed again

I have a new HR23 coming. Enough messing around with the R15.
I did install the other drive I bought and it seems to be formatting just fine
The Original drive was causing reboots at random and was stuck on the formatting hard drive screen with no progress for awhile...never started

I also have a new 55" Toshiba LCD display so HD is now required...LOL
Remote Central Moderator
www.remotecentral.com

#45 OFFLINE   weattv

weattv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

FWIW, our R15 was caught in the rebooting cycles failure for weeks, a couple of years ago. Didn't work at all during that time. It looped endlessly around the 2 messages saying to let it work for 30 minutes, or to restart it, as I recall. I couldn't find an explanation except suggestions the hard drive was dead. I finally gave up & unplugged it, replacing it with a TiVo that repeatedly loses the tuner signal

More than a year later, I plugged it back in just out of curiosity. When I checked a while later, it was working fine & all the old recordings were there. Wondering if an update had fixed it.

It might be worthwhile to try replugging a "dead' unit back in.

#46 OFFLINE   ncguy68

ncguy68

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

I was not successful trying to repalce the hard drive in my R15 following this techique. I DVR would never recognize the drive or format it. WhenI attempted to format I received the following message: Fail, Error Ox7b.

The replacement drive works fine in a computer and the old DVR drive still works in the DVR, but the drive is four years old and starting to fail (constant reboots).

My DVR has software version OX1274....does anyone know if they no longer allow replacement drives with the newer software updates?

UPDATE...

SUCCESS!!!

I performed option 2 (in my above post) and it works! With all due respect to ThomasM who posted above that it cannot be done, I believe that possibly the early firmware revisions were the ones that would not allow a standard HDD swap. I know that this is NOT the case with new firmware as I did it!

Here's the info on my setup and what I bought/did:

Model: R15
Manufacturer: 500
Software:
Original Version- 0x120C
Past Upgrade- 0X120C (I had forced a software update prior to the drive dying. That's why it is the same version as original)
Future Upgrade- Not Scheduled

I bought a Western Digital 160GB Caviar SE HDD

Model: WD1600JBRTLW
UPC: 18037 11725

Bought it from Wal-Mart (on closeout) for $59.98

Here's the steps that I took:

1) I installed the new drive in my PC with the jumper settings on default (cable select).
2) Powered up the PC
3) Inserted the Data Lifeguard Tools CD that came with the drive
4) Partitioned the drive as one partition @160GB
5) Turned off PC and disconnected newly partitioned drive
6) Swapped defective drive in R15 with new drive
7) Reconnected all A/V cables to R15
8) Powered up R15 and initiated reformat (Down Arrow and REC button)
9) R15 then began reformatting drive (took approximately 2 hours)
10) R15 restarted and setup screen was present
11) Entered all pertinent data for my area and completed setup
12) Back in business!!!

Only my local channels are not present but as I understand it, they will return after a couple of hours as DTV has to reinitialize them.

I certainly hope that this helps others here. I'm glad that I took the chance as it paid off!

UPDATE 2: Local cannels are back in lineup. Only took about 30 minutes.

#47 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

Is your R15 a 500? Not sure if this makes a difference...

#48 OFFLINE   ncguy68

ncguy68

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes, my R15 is a 500.

#49 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

Not sure what to say...I've had a few issues with the reboots. I changed the power supply C7 capacitor in mine as it was bulged, still getting the reboots. I have not tried replacing the HDD yet...I have read the C7, C8, & in some circumstances the C10 caps have been an issue, and if bulged, they need replacing...I may still change the C8 & C10 caps anyway. Last resort is the HDD.

Were you just getting random reboots like I am, or was the HDD making the clicking sound with the record light blinking? How do the caps look?

#50 OFFLINE   ncguy68

ncguy68

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:54 AM

I am getting random reboots....It happens once or twice a week while watching television...I don't know if it happens while the receiver is in standby mode. The caps all look fine...none of them appear to be bulging. I have ran all the diagnostic tests and they report fine....including the hard drive.

#51 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Must be the HDD. Strange, 99% of my recent recorings are fine, I had 2 in the list last week that were skipping a head near the end of the recorded show...Sorry, I wish I could help more, I have never changed the HDD, but that may happen soon! It sucks having these issues:(

#52 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

Another way I know if it has rebooted through the day, the "tv mail" deletes whenever the unit reboots...

#53 OFFLINE   tong

tong

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

I was not successful trying to repalce the hard drive in my R15 following this techique. I DVR would never recognize the drive or format it. WhenI attempted to format I received the following message: Fail, Error Ox7b.

The replacement drive works fine in a computer and the old DVR drive still works in the DVR, but the drive is four years old and starting to fail (constant reboots).

My DVR has software version OX1274....does anyone know if they no longer allow replacement drives with the newer software updates?

Same issue, r15-500, sw 0x1274, same error code. Played around in the diagnostic menu. It's as if the dvr cant talk to the drive.

WDC 160gb caviar blue, runs and tests jsut fine on a pc (ran wdc diag tools).

Back to the aging oem one for now. It had gotten a bit more life pulling it from the dvr and running the extended seagate tests on a pc (to remap bad sectors) + a reformat by the dvr a few months ago.

FWIW my r15 has replaced caps in the powersupply.

#54 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Back to the aging oem one for now. It had gotten a bit more life pulling it from the dvr and running the extended seagate tests on a pc (to remap bad sectors) + a reformat by the dvr a few months ago.

Can you give more details on the seagate tests please? Where did you get the software?

Thanks

spam firewall