Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Burn DVD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobFly

BobFly

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:13 PM

Does any know where i could get software to burn dvd movies and PS2 games? I dont think it is illegal to burn dvd's as long its not mass production and only used for private use!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:22 PM

Are you talking authoring of home movies converted to Digital Video? Or are you talking making an archive copy of a DVD or Game you have purchased???

Nero or Roxio's latest give you the ability to make an archive copy of a DVD if you have a DVD burner, you can buy them at Amazon or at Comp-USA or any Office store.
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 OFFLINE   lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:25 PM

I don't think they have cracked the PS2 copy protection, nor X-box.

Movies require a couple of steps the last time I looked into it. You run into issues with disk capacity. Also, I am not sure that fair use extends to personal backups of DVDs.

Often, copies give up surround channels and other features that make DVDs fun in the first place.

There was a UK firm that offered a DVD ripping program, then you had to burn it back to a blank with Nero or a newer version of Roxio.

For my nickel, it wasn't worth the effort.

That said, I do know that there are several really illegal programs for PC and Mac that pirates use to crank out rip off copies. Can't help you with where to get it.

Maybe some of the legal eagles on the forum can help with the fair use issues.
Afflicting one scars all. Ask not for whom the bell tolls. . .

#4 OFFLINE   BobFly

BobFly

AllStar/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:29 PM

oh i appreciate the help it sounds like it is easier to keep spending the 15 or 20 bucks on buying the dvd's...i wish they would come up with a crack to help with the ps2 games that is a real B*tch spending $40-$60 on a game...if anyone hears anything in the future about ps2 let me know....thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:13 PM

I am sure that would not be allowed to be discussed here as it would be illegal.

#6 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:30 PM

copying of dvd's for backup purposes is indeed legal. There is a software package called dvdxcopy that alloows you to do just this... and to keep things legal, the software inserts a chapter at the beginning of the dvd that stated that the dvd you are watching is in fact a backup copy, and what you as a user decide to do with it is solely your responsibility.

I have dvdxcopy, and it works pretty well. If you are backing up a recent movie , say "The Matrix" for example, it will take 2 discs to complete the copy because the original dvd is multilayered... up to 9.4 Gb on one side. I've found that some older movies back up quite nicely onto one disc.

To keep things legal here... if you "forget" that you left your backup copies at a friend's house, you have broken the law.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#7 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Neil Derryberry
copying of dvd's for backup purposes is indeed legal.

I get the sense the original poster was not talking about backup of their own purchased media. So it is probably crossing the line :D
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#8 OFFLINE   lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:49 PM

Neil,

How long does it take to burn a 2 hour movie?

Can you preserve the DD 5.1 tracks?

I've seen the program advertised, and I have also seen work arounds outlined, but it seemed to be a lot of work for a not perfect copy. DVD is mostly about quality of video and sound.

Then there is the two disk issue.

Glad it is working out for you.

Have you found anything about X-box PS2 game backup?

There used to be Bleem for PS1, sort of.
Afflicting one scars all. Ask not for whom the bell tolls. . .

#9 OFFLINE   The Tophinator

The Tophinator

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:30 AM

It's not so much the length of the movie it'self but how much additional data is on the disc. At 1x backing up a disk with both layers filled(or close to it), it would take about 45 minutes to copy and another 45 to burn each layer (3 hours total). 4x media would theoretically do it in( 45 read x 2 + 11.25 write x 2 = 1h 52.5m). The cost on 4x media is still higher 1x $.80 in spools 4x $2.50 in spools.
All data is 100% original so DD 5.1, 2.0 and video quality are as original.
The two disk copy is not a problem. You get a nice screen that asks you to place disk two in your player and resumes the movie where it lets off. You can even preview this before backing up your disk. It also divides it between chapters so it won't stop in the middle of the action.
A great feature of the software is the lowlifes that stick commercials at the beginning of a movie that cannot be skipped. You can remove them on you backup. You also have the flexibility to start the movie directly or go to the menu first. If there is room (usually only on older movies) you can skip the extra features entirely and fit the movie only on one disk.
As pointed out above this software is designed to backup your own DVD's and asks you more than once every time you start it if you are using it for legitimate purposes and the latest version asks if you are using a rented or borrowed DVD. After that it;s up to your conscience.
2 DTiVo's 1 Stock, 1 Modified.
Video: Toshiba 57HDX82 Audio: Yamaha RX V1300
I liked My Dishplayer I Love My TiVos
My DVD Profile
My Home Page

#10 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Neil Derryberry
copying of dvd's for backup purposes is indeed legal.

Hollywood doesn't want you to know this, and in fact they have repeatedly been saying otherwise. But under the DMCA they may sort of be right.

While it is indeed legal to copy material you already have a license to use (for backup and archival purposes), it is illegal to use a circumvention device, i.e. a piece of hardware or software designed to break copy protection. This is an integral part of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

The WIPO Copyright Treaty (of which the United States is a party) requires parties to:

“… provide adequate legal protection and effective legal remedies against the circumvention of effective technological measures that are used by authors in connection with the exercise of their rights…which are not authorized by the authors concerned or by law.”

So out of this came the DMCA:

§1201(a)(1): “No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.”

Here's the part of the DMCA that deals with selling/distributing "circumvention devices"

§1201(a)(2):
“No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that:

(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;

(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or (emphasis added)

© is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person’s knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.”

#11 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:04 PM

Originally posted by lastmanstanding
Neil,

How long does it take to burn a 2 hour movie?

Can you preserve the DD 5.1 tracks?

I've seen the program advertised, and I have also seen work arounds outlined, but it seemed to be a lot of work for a not perfect copy. DVD is mostly about quality of video and sound.

Then there is the two disk issue.

Glad it is working out for you.

Have you found anything about X-box PS2 game backup?

There used to be Bleem for PS1, sort of.

There are quite a few alternatives to DVD X Copy for backing up DVD movies.

Firstly, you can do it manually using an assortment of freeware tools.

Then there are easy, turnkey solutions like DVD2One (shareware) or DVD Shrink. (Free).

These are great tools for making DVD backups. Of course, I don't recommend that you copy anything you don't already own, since this is illegal.

spam firewall