Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network HD Receiver Upgrade - Mandatory

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

1st post, hopefully right forum.

Has anyone called to get or gotten their new receiver?
I have wanted the ViP722 but they wanted me to pay so I kept my 942.
My 942 does TV1/TV2 as does the ViP722. The ViP622 only does TV1.
Are they offering the 722 for the 942? Are they requiring a contract for the upgrade?
I don't want to call till I have my ducks in a row.
TIA

Email I received.

Dear Valued Customer,
We want to notify you of very important information regarding your DISH Network HD receiver(s) and programming. Due to improvements in our HD technology, it is necessary to upgrade one or more of your high-definition receivers. We need to make sure that you can take advantage of our next generation of HD by upgrading your older model HD receiver(s) for FREE*. Please note that if you do not upgrade your older model HD receiver(s), you will lose your HD programming.

For only a penny more per month, we can upgrade your HD programming so you can start enjoying at least 23 more of the best HD national channels, like Disney HD, ABC Family HD, Discovery HD, Travel Channel HD and The Weather Channel HD. These are just some of the many channels that we are adding to our lineup, with 100+ national HD channels available by the end of the year!

Check out The Weather Channel's brand new studio with the latest in HD graphic technology as well as vivid, on-the-scene reporting where major weather stories break.

Plus, you have the opportunity to add 10 exciting HD movie channels like Starz HD**. Starz HD welcomes you to the world of high-definition where hit movies like Spiderman 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and Starz original programming are enjoyed with a picture that is 5 times sharper than standard TV!

Call DISH Network today at 1-888-383-3727 to schedule your FREE HD receiver upgrade and get the most out of your HD experience!

State-of-the-art HD equipment
100+ national HD channels available this year, like The Weather Channel HD!
100 local HD markets this year
The best sports and movies in HD
Ask for Starz HD and get access to great HD movies!

YOU MUST TAKE ACTION NOW TO PREVENT INTERRUPTION OF YOUR SERVICE. Please call
1-888-383-3727 so we may schedule your FREE receiver upgrade today! We thank you for your business and for continuing to be a valued DISH Network customer.

Sincerely,
DISH Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

The ViP622 only does TV1.

this is incorrect. the 622 is (operations-wise) a 722 with a smaller hard drive.

#3 OFFLINE   oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

this is incorrect. the 622 is (operations-wise) a 722 with a smaller hard drive.

Hmm, I missed that in the brochure. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I was confused because the 622 only comes with one remote.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:30 PM

Hmm, I missed that in the brochure. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I was confused because the 622 only comes with one remote.

No, the 622 comes with two remote controls. One IR and one UHF.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

The 622 comes with two remotes (5.3 and 6.3), but your 5.2 and 6.2 remotes will work fine on a 622/722. I have NOT yet upgraded my 942s, so this is only based on my conversation when they called me. The only a penny more may, and may not, be correct - it depends on what other receivers you might have (if you are going to keep them active).

Eventhough you might be able to disconnect the 942 and reconnect a 622, they will schedule an Install. As long as the guy has a 622 on his truck, that is probably what you'll get. If he happens to only have 722s, I think you'd get a 722. I don't believe there is any way to pay DISH and instead get a 722. 622/722, it will be a leased receiver. If you own the 942, they will give you $10 for it, but you DON'T have to sell it back to them and you could use it as a Digital Transition device (with recording, but no Guide) on some TV w/o an active DISH subscription. I'm not clear if you could leave it active on the account - you could ask if it matters to you.

There is no commit required, and you don't have to put up any money. If you end up with two or more ViP receivers, they will be $2/month more than the older receivers. If you only have a single ViP receiver replacing a single 942, nothing should change except the $10 instead of $9.99 (assumes you sub to the old HD Pak). I think I'll go for the upgrade for one of my 942s and get a leased 622 (722 if REAL lucky) and finally RMA (HDMI for at least two years) the other owned 942 to get an owned 622 replacement.

If you do upgrade to a ViP, there is a subtle "commit" of sorts. All non-ViP receivers after the 1st have a $5/month fee (either a lease fee or Addl Rec if owned). In Feb, ViPs increased from $6 to $7, as did the HD Enable fee (waived if you subscribe to HD programming package). You are somewhat commited to whatever increase DISH picks for ViP receivers (you can always return the leased receiver and not have to pay). They won't, but next Feb DISH could increase the HD Enable to $10 and the minimum HD package to $15 and add a buck to the ViP receiver fee to $8. You'd have to pay the $10/$15, plus the $8 if it isn't the 1st receiver, or use a non-ViP receiver. They could also increase the non-ViP receivers in Feb - nobody knows. All I'm saying is that it might cost you more than a penny right now, and possibly even more down the road. But there is NO term commit from the upgrade.

HTH.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

I think you have confused the 622 with the 612 which only does one tv and has the one remote.

#7 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

This is encouraging. My parents have a 942, and I have been wanting them to upgrade to a newer model so that they can get the local channels in HD.

I don't know if they have received that email yet, but I will get them to call that number.

#8 OFFLINE   oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

I see my issue.
I clicked the link for the 622 brochure. The url and title bar both say 622. But the brochure is for the 612.
Thanks for the help.
http://www.dishnetwo...eet_HighRes.pdf

#9 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

I got the email today and called...an hour later I finally was setup with a tech coming out next weekend to install. I was able to somehow shave some money off what I'm currently paying and I'm getting more channels in HD so it's a win win situation it appears.

I was going to get my other receiver upgraded to a 722/622 but the girl on the other line was already so confused enough as it was. I figured I would just get along for now with the 211 they are sending out to replace my 811 and then buy a HD DVR to replace my 511 here in the next few months.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Ah, the web site managed by Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

The link: http://www.dishnetwo...eet_HighRes.pdf gives you a nice brochure for "the high-definition ViP612™ DVR, our advanced receiver that is an ideal solution for the HD home.":eek2:

#11 OFFLINE   zapata

zapata

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

I got the email today and called...an hour later I finally was setup with a tech coming out next weekend to install. I was able to somehow shave some money off what I'm currently paying and I'm getting more channels in HD so it's a win win situation it appears.

I was going to get my other receiver upgraded to a 722/622 but the girl on the other line was already so confused enough as it was. I figured I would just get along for now with the 211 they are sending out to replace my 811 and then buy a HD DVR to replace my 511 here in the next few months.

How were you able to shave off some money? Can you please share? I am about to call them. May be our accounts are similar and I could get the same savings you got. . I have 1 HD, 1 SD receiver with their 100 channel lineup and 9.99 HD package.

#12 OFFLINE   oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

Called them. I lease the equipment.
942 - 622, no cost. Will be installed on Tuesday and they have to replace the LNB and possibly the dish, the CSR wasn't sure.

She did say the 942 would not work at all after 8/01/08. That's bad as I wanted to use the 942 to replace the 510 in the bedroom. I hate the guide on the 510.

They would upgrade to the 722 but I stopped her when she mentioned a new 24 month commitment so I don't know the cost. We may be moving in a couple of months so I want my options open as far as TV signal.

$.01 per month increase in bill for the new HD package.

If you sign up for automatic bill pay they will waive the $5.98 monthly charge (lease I believe) and offer you Cinemax for $.01 a month for 12 months. It has 8 channels: 5 SD and 3 HD. They also have a new release every Saturday.

#13 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

As long as the guy has a 622 on his truck, that is probably what you'll get. If he happens to only have 722s, I think you'd get a 722.

Thats the way I roll. Even so just ask him for a 722. (If he has one.) It can't hurt.

#14 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

How were you able to shave off some money? Can you please share? I am about to call them. May be our accounts are similar and I could get the same savings you got. . I have 1 HD, 1 SD receiver with their 100 channel lineup and 9.99 HD package.

Well they signed me up for auto bill pay even though I was already doing it. And that saved me $5.98. I believe they may call that the Dish Home Advantage...

I dumped the Multi-Sports package which is virtually useless and that's another $6 bucks or so.

She talked me into some kind of insurance deal which I suppose covers the receiver if it quits. I still have to pay if someone has to come out though.

I think that's about it. Seems like there might have been something else but I can't remember now.

All in all I went from 92/month bucks to around 80 bucks.

#15 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

Called them. I lease the equipment.
942 - 622, no cost. Will be installed on Tuesday and they have to replace the LNB and possibly the dish, the CSR wasn't sure.

She did say the 942 would not work at all after 8/01/08. That's bad as I wanted to use the 942 to replace the 510 in the bedroom. I hate the guide on the 510.

They would upgrade to the 722 but I stopped her when she mentioned a new 24 month commitment so I don't know the cost. We may be moving in a couple of months so I want my options open as far as TV signal.

$.01 per month increase in bill for the new HD package.

If you sign up for automatic bill pay they will waive the $5.98 monthly charge (lease I believe) and offer you Cinemax for $.01 a month for 12 months. It has 8 channels: 5 SD and 3 HD. They also have a new release every Saturday.

I can't make out if you're saying "I lease the equipment now" (some 942s were leased, but not many), or "the new equipment will be leased". If you do own the 942 and 510, ignore what the CSR said about it not working after August and drop the 510 from the account - cost is the same (assumes a phone connection for the 942 in the 510 room). Certainly shouldn't return an owned 942 to DISH for the $10 they'd give you.

Saving $5.98 doesn't have anything to do with this upgrade. Someone with AT200 or AT250 could have switched to Dish DVR Advantage (Auto Pay / paperless billing) and saved the $5.98 with their current DVR that has a fee. CSR was just helping you save $. Someone already using Dish DVR Advantage wouldn't be "saving anything".

scoobyxj is right that it can't hurt to ask the guy about a 722 instead of a 622 - it would certainly be worth a good tip!

#16 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

All in all I went from 92/month bucks to around 80 bucks.

$5.98 is Dish DVR Advantage and the Multi-sport would get you to $12 in savings, but there must be something else since adding DHPP (Home Protection Plan insurance / extended warantee) @ $5.99 would cut the savings back to $6.

#17 OFFLINE   oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

I can't make out if you're saying "I lease the equipment now" (some 942s were leased, but not many), or "the new equipment will be leased". If you do own the 942 and 510, ignore what the CSR said about it not working after August and drop the 510 from the account - cost is the same (assumes a phone connection for the 942 in the 510 room). Certainly shouldn't return an owned 942 to DISH for the $10 they'd give you.

Saving $5.98 doesn't have anything to do with this upgrade. Someone with AT200 or AT250 could have switched to Dish DVR Advantage (Auto Pay / paperless billing) and saved the $5.98 with their current DVR that has a fee. CSR was just helping you save $. Someone already using Dish DVR Advantage wouldn't be "saving anything".

scoobyxj is right that it can't hurt to ask the guy about a 722 instead of a 622 - it would certainly be worth a good tip!

I meant the equipment I have now, 942 and 510, is leased. I wasn't sure if I owned it or not. Wife pays the bills so I don't see it.
What would be considered a good tip? When the system was originally installed, the installer wouldn't take a tip but I could think of at least 20 reasons I'd rather have the 722.
;)

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

She talked me into some kind of insurance deal which I suppose covers the receiver if it quits. I still have to pay if someone has to come out though.

Sounds like they gave Dish DVR Advantage, it saves you 3 bucks or so a month.

You don't need the DHA (Insurance).

If your receiver or LNB or whatever fails, call and sign up for DHA - hang up and call back to report the problem.

When it's fixed, drop the DHA again.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#19 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:27 PM

Sounds like they gave Dish DVR Advantage, it saves you 3 bucks or so a month.

You don't need the DHA (Insurance).

If your receiver or LNB or whatever fails, call and sign up for DHA - hang up and call back to report the problem.

When it's fixed, drop the DHA again.

The insurance is Dish Home Protection Plan (DHPP).
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#20 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

I have a 921 (owned) that I removed from my account when I got a 622. Should I reactivate it to get this upgrade or can I just call them and ask for a replacement? I don't really care if I get a 622 or 722, as long as I own it instead of leasing. I paid $1000 for that thing and I was not going to sell it back to them for $25 when it still worked perfectly well as an OTA DVR.

-Chris
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...