Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fast Forwarding on the VIP 722

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

I have noticed when I hit fast forward once which is 4x, that once the commercials end and my show is back and I hit play, I have to hit rewind a lot because it went too far.

I did this on the 625 but it wasn't as bad.

Is there a bug/issue on the VIP 722 L4.49 release that causes this and is it fixed on L510 or L511?

I am used to Directv which kicks back a couple of seconds like TIVO does which is great.

The DISH 722 fast forwards sooooo fast, and then when I see my show and hit play it's already 2 or 3 minutes into my show!! It definitely fast forwards way too fast....is this the norm on all of Dish's DVR's??

Any information would be very helpful and thank you for reading my post.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   JackDobiash

JackDobiash

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Unfortunatly, it was fine (for most) with L4.49 and it is a new bug that was introduced with L510/L511. Hopefully they are working on it.
ViP622 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (20GB)
ViP722 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Programming - Americas Everything Pak + Portland Locals, HD + Platinum, DHPP (Service)
DishNetwork Customer since 1998

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

I have noticed when I hit fast forward once which is 4x, that once the commercials end and my show is back and I hit play, I have to hit rewind a lot because it went too far.

Is there a bug/issue on the VIP 722 L4.49 release that causes this and is it fixed on L510 or L511?

I am used to Directv which kicks back a couple of seconds like TIVO does which is great.

The DISH 722 fast forwards sooooo fast, and then when I see my show and hit play it's already 2 or 3 minutes into my show!! It definitely fast forwards way too fast....is this the norm on all of Dish's DVR's??

Is there some reason you don't use the Skip Fwd instead of FF?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   somguy

somguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts
  • LocationTamarac,FL

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

Is there some reason you don't use the Skip Fwd instead of FF?

I forget about it and I have a habit of using the FFWD button as I did with Directv; there's worked much better.

Whether this issue is a bug or the norm, it still should not be; I was hoping that Dish would be better than Drecttv; especially in terms of reliability but it seems that I may have been wrong.

(Mensan) Russell B.
Tamarac, FL
Feel free to check out my blog @ http://TheMensaYenta.us
I welcome the comments and thanks!!

#5 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

I forget about it and I have a habit of using the FFWD button as I did with Directv; there's worked much better.

Whether this issue is a bug or the norm, it still should not be; I was hoping that Dish would be better than Drecttv; especially in terms of reliability but it seems that I may have been wrong.

Most commercials are 3 minutes so I hit ship 6 times and it is almost always right on, if not I skip once more and back skip (10 seconds). Sounds like a lot of work but for me it takes about 5 seconds after doing it for so long. Just a suggestion. I have tried FF to a couple of times but got the same issue you do

#6 OFFLINE   JeffL

JeffL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:37 AM

As a long term Tivo users (DirecTV) and after switching to Dish and a vip722 a couple weeks ago all I can say is that I HATE how FF does not jump back. I stop the FF by hitting jump back but I then have to hit the jump back button several more times. But with each jump back I have to decide it it's the show or not. Then I get finger happy and hit the back button once too many and I then sit through the last part of a commercial. I'm sure with enough practice I can get used to it. But it would be VERY simple thing for them to simply jump back more depending on how fast you were FF'ing. If Tivo and DirecTV can do it I'm sure Dish engineers could figure it out. Wish they would!

#7 OFFLINE   TorinoCobra

TorinoCobra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

Try this. It was mentioned by another user, and works for me. I have a 622 that has had this FF issue for years. When you FF hit PAUSE, instead of PLAY, when you reach the end of the commercials. Then hit PLAY.

FF-->PAUSE-->PLAY

I don't know why it works, and I really don't know why the engineers can't use the same programming logic to implement FF-->PLAY?

Also, along the same lines, I have found that going from PAUSE to FWD will cause a skip. Instead, I always go from PAUSE to SKIP FWD and then FWD.

PAUSE-->SKIP FWD-->FWD.

And, finally, why isn't FF X4, four times normal speed? I paused my DVR, rewound for a few minutes, and then waited for the 4:00 mark before hitting PLAY-->FWD. At 4X it should take approximately 1 minute to FF 4 minutes. It actually took 20 seconds, and the last few seconds were spent synching to live. FF 4X is way too fast if you are searching for a specific scene. Is it just me, or is this a common issue?

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Try this. It was mentioned by another user, and works for me. I have a 622 that has had this FF issue for years. When you FF hit PAUSE, instead of PLAY, when you reach the end of the commercials. Then hit PLAY.

FF-->PAUSE-->PLAY

I don't know why it works, and I really don't know why the engineers can't use the same programming logic to implement FF-->PLAY?

Also, along the same lines, I have found that going from PAUSE to FWD will cause a skip. Instead, I always go from PAUSE to SKIP FWD and then FWD.

PAUSE-->SKIP FWD-->FWD.

And, finally, why isn't FF X4, four times normal speed? I paused my DVR, rewound for a few minutes, and then waited for the 4:00 mark before hitting PLAY-->FWD. At 4X it should take approximately 1 minute to FF 4 minutes. It actually took 20 seconds, and the last few seconds were spent synching to live. FF 4X is way too fast if you are searching for a specific scene. Is it just me, or is this a common issue?

4X FF has been messed up for quite a while.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   ICBM99

ICBM99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

I never use FF, I always use SKIP Forward and back. It just seems easier for me. my .02

#10 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Try this:

Press the green "skip back" button instead of the "play" button to stop fast forwarding. This simulates the Tivo kick back. This works great on 4x and 15x.

#11 OFFLINE   larrysano

larrysano

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:41 AM

This just started being a problem for me with the latest software upgrade (had my 622 since 10/2006). I'm hoping Dish fixes the problem with the next update.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...