Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP612, What's in the box

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

A simple question, I hope anyway.

I'm having a VIP612 added to my existing account tomorrow.

My question is what is in the box? One remote, 2 remotes, HDMI or Component or S-Video , Diplexer, etc.

It will be going in where a 721 is right now and later on the 721 will be relocated so I'll need all the proper cabling and remote(s).
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

A simple question, I hope anyway.

I'm having a VIP612 added to my existing account tomorrow.

My question is what is in the box? One remote, 2 remotes, HDMI or Component or S-Video , Diplexer, etc.

It will be going in where a 721 is right now and later on the 721 will be relocated so I'll need all the proper cabling and remote(s).

One remote, the 6.3, which should be the same as you have with the 721;
Batteries; S-Video; RCA; 6' RG6 Coax; RJ11 Phone cable; Remote Antenna and Attenuator; DPP Separator.
As for the HDMI/Component, some say they come in the box, some say they don't...some say the installer provides them, some say they don't.
You'll find out tomorrow. :)
One thing for sure, you will need one of the two, to view HD resolution.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

:)

One remote, the 6.3, which should be the same as you have with the 721;
Batteries; S-Video; RCA; 6' RG6 Coax; RJ11 Phone cable; Remote Antenna and Attenuator; DPP Separator.
As for the HDMI/Component, some say they come in the box, some say they don't...some say the installer provides them, some say they don't.
You'll find out tomorrow. :)
One thing for sure, you will need one of the two, to view HD resolution.

Thanks for the information that is what I needed to know. I need to look into getting a phone wire to that location or ethernet or home plug?? so it can talk to the 622 in another room to avoid a extra fee as I understand it.

Right now it will be hooked up to a SD Sony for a little while. More or less the same path I took with the 622. First the 622 then look for a HDTV. Even without a HDTV it will add all the HD channels to that TV so it seems worth it.

My 622 came with component cable AFAIK. err....ummm.... the 721 is a older dual tuner SD box that came with a platinum remote :) . We can't all afford to run out and spring for everything at one time. I have to piecemeal it.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

The extra box will get the extra fee whether it's connected to a phone line or not (true for all Dish receivers). The 612 is a one-room receiver, so there is no "extra" extra fee, aka no-phone penalty.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

Well I'm glad to hear that about the phone line connection not being needed. The one I hooked up isn't working. OTOH Dishcomm is working. Does that mean I can do PPV as if the phone line was connected?

I'm sort of sorry I didn't spring for the 622 after testing.... The HD channels are squashed into a 4:3 screen on the SDTV it's hooked up to right now. The ZOOM button seems to only work on the HDTV out. 4:3 or 16:9 seems to make no difference either. Silly me for presuming that since the Zoom button works for the S-Video out on the 622 that this new improved model would be the same.

However now I need to save for a HDTV for the 612s location.

FWIW either the 612 came with a composite cable set or the installer threw a set in. No Phone jack splitter, huh? they want the phone lines hooked up and then do not provide a way to split one into two.

BTW for teh recover button on the remote it says look in the manual. Page 73. The remote is set to control the TV set. The Recover button does nothing? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

No HD cables come in the box, but Dish now requires installers to carry 6' component cables and supply them for free (on HD boxes that the tech is installing; "extras" are chargable). HDMI cables are a custom item, but most installers carry them at a Dish-set price of $20 for a 6' cable. Longer lengths are not regulated, or provided by most installers at all.

spam firewall