Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 dvr quick question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Agleisberg

Agleisberg

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Okay so i am having troubles with my dvr... its detecting a lnb drift... well they came out and pretty much did a new install (new lnb new lines re-ground and so on....) well i am still having the trouble. the installer thought maybe its because its getting too hot and there may be too much damage (he had one in his truck that had completely melted internaly due to heat)

so i got on the horn and called dish and they sent me out a replacment.. i just need to send this one back.... But before i do i have some shows on my dvr i dont want to lose, i dont have a working dvd burner for the tv nor do i have a tv input in my pc to record the shows from there... i was wondering if i took the hdd out of the dvr since there are no stickers to show that the box had been opened copied the info onto one of my hdd's and placed the drive back in the box before sending it out if they would be able to tell that the box had been opened via case open switch or something to that effect. i dont want to damage the dvr or anything to that effect... i just want to get my shows off of there any help would be apreciated

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Okay so i am having troubles with my dvr... its detecting a lnb drift... well they came out and pretty much did a new install (new lnb new lines re-ground and so on....) well i am still having the trouble. the installer thought maybe its because its getting too hot and there may be too much damage (he had one in his truck that had completely melted internaly due to heat)

so i got on the horn and called dish and they sent me out a replacment.. i just need to send this one back.... But before i do i have some shows on my dvr i dont want to lose, i dont have a working dvd burner for the tv nor do i have a tv input in my pc to record the shows from there... i was wondering if i took the hdd out of the dvr since there are no stickers to show that the box had been opened copied the info onto one of my hdd's and placed the drive back in the box before sending it out if they would be able to tell that the box had been opened via case open switch or something to that effect. i dont want to damage the dvr or anything to that effect... i just want to get my shows off of there any help would be apreciated

The Video on the internal drive is tied to the particular 622 that the hard drive is installed with.

The easiest way as I see it is pay the External hard drive fee and use a USB2 drive.
Move what you want to save to the EHD.
When the new 622 comes move the shows back to the new 622 or just watch them from the EHD.

You could try and get them to waive the setup fee for the EHD service as you want it to save things from a VIP622 that is being replaced. Good Luck

The USB2 drive will be formatted to work with the 622. Everything on it will be lost so don't use a backup drive. The drive, once it has been formatted for use with the 622 will not be usable in the computer without wiping out the 622's formatting.

Note the video on the EHD is encrypted.

It could be worse, at least with Dishnetwork you can do this.
Hope this helps?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3 OFFLINE   Agleisberg

Agleisberg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

yeah i already talked to them about that i dont want to pay the $40 to set up an ehd i was just wanting to copy the files from one hdd to another then copy them onto the new dvr's hdd... this is a tad more complicated than it Needs to be BUT i am cheap and 2hours of my day off is worth saving the 440 on a setup fee and the 420 on a EHD enclosure :P

i was just basicly wanting to know if there is a case open switch or something to that effect if it is opened:)

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

Like TBoneit said, the right way to do this is to pay the $40.00 EHD fee and use a USB2.0 drive to archive from the old unit and restore to the new unit.

If you open up the case you'll probably find some sort of sticker attached to the hard drive that would have to be removed if you take the drive out, which would void the warranty.

If you decide to try and do what you are saying you run the risk of Dish Network voiding the warranty on the unit and you could end up having to pay for the unit. Frankly $60.00 is a lot cheaper than full retail on a new ViP622, plus when all is said and done you've got a lot more storage for shows and movies on your new receiver.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

Not to mention the video won't work when you try and put it on the new unit.

If you try and clone the old drive over the new one you'll probably brick the new receiver. It is my understanding that the internal drives are married to the receiver.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#6 OFFLINE   Agleisberg

Agleisberg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:59 AM

thanks for the replies..... i just borrowed a dvd burner from a friend and am copying the programs that way.... the receiver does have one sticker preventing the hdd mount from being removed... But just as an fyi to anyone who's having trouble with overheating the case does not have a case open switch so you can remove the cover to dust it to help with airflow and cooling issues

spam firewall