Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv vs. DISH...which is better???

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

Let's keep it civil gents. :D

Both services have benefits and drawbacks, which is why both have millions of subscribers.

In the spirit of the OP...here is an objective comparison of services....its' not quite current, but close enough...

http://www.13donuts.com/sat-tv.html

Civility has nothing to do with it. As a E* sub for 10+ yrs. it was just an observation I feel I'm qualified to make. Furthermore I feel it is something a potential new customer should be aware of.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:24 PM

Civility has nothing to do with it. As a E* sub for 10+ yrs. it was just an observation I feel I'm qualified to make. Furthermore I feel it is something a potential new customer should be aware of.

Nothng wrong with your observation... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#43 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Nothng wrong with your observation... :D

And thanks for the link. I found it very informative. A must see for anyone considering DBS.

#44 OFFLINE   Cable Lover

Cable Lover

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

Insight Cable is the best of all of them. :eek:
RIP Insight.

#45 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

I think the title of the thread was E* vs D*. There was no mention of cable.:raspberry

#46 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

http://www.13donuts.com/sat-tv.html

I suspect that this one's a little dated as it shows E* carrying MLB EI. It does provide some useful criteria.

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

I suspect that this one's a little dated as it shows E* carrying MLB EI. It does provide some useful criteria.

It has some dated info as I stated in a caveat in the post...but...it is objective and really designed to compare the services offered by each, rather than taking the pro vs con approach.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Insight Cable is the best of all of them. :eek:

Cable is best if you prefer an inferior picture, inferior service, inferior HD quality and selection.

#49 OFFLINE   Toilet_Thunder

Toilet_Thunder

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

Which company experiences the least outages/problems? I've got a scheduled install for Dish later this month, but the more I read: dropped channels, contract disputes, ect ect ect, I'm starting to second guess my choice.

#50 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

You'll always see the negatives ... people don't complain about how well a system runs. :)

There are a few HD channels that probably would be there if DISH caved to every program provider and raised rates to cover the expense ... and Voom's HD channels were dropped because Voom failed to live up to their side of a contract. There have been a few channels that have left temporarily because of a dispute, but I can't recall any (other than Voom - so far) that didn't come back.

So far none of the 'disputed' channels were ones I missed. Viacom's a few years ago were the closest to being missed but that again illustrates remembering the negatives ... there was a big blow up at the time, the channels came back and DISH remained profitable. No permanent harm.

#51 OFFLINE   Toilet_Thunder

Toilet_Thunder

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Apparently DTV doesn't carry my locals in HD yet. I'm 20min outside of Chicago?

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

Both companies have Chicago HD locals ...
DISH and DirecTV both carry the four major networks plus WGN9 in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...