Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wall-E

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

Think I'll pass. Haven't watched a Pixar since The Incredibles. Seems like that's where they reached their zenith.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

You should be careful Mav... some people may misinterpret this as spam. :rolleyes:

True did not think about that I guess I should have put in some sort of note that the link is associated with the movie I found the link on another board discussing the movie and found it funny and just copied the link and reposted it here.
5 LNB AU9 Slimline Dish and standard 18" dish pointed at 72.5 for locals
1 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR10-250
1 R16-300
2 WB68 multiswitches

#43 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

Think I'll pass. Haven't watched a Pixar since The Incredibles. Seems like that's where they reached their zenith.

That's a shame. I haven't seen a Pixar movie I didn't like. They're all fun and most of them have a message as well.
Lawrence Topman, the Charlotte Observer critic, gave Wall-E 3 1/2 out of a possible 4 stars. In his review, he commented at length about the somber nature of the early part of the film.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#44 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

I am not an immature, impulsive person.

I am a mature, patient individual. I have an awesome widescreen HD home
theatre. I also have every premium movie channel in the known Universe, all
of which I can easily afford on a modest retirement because I no longer waste
my money and gas going out to the movies.

As such a mature person :sure:, I will wait patiently for the movie to come to me.
When I really feel the need to experience the "real" movie ambience, I go hire
strangers to come into my home, sit behind me and talk to each other and on
their cells, and spill cokes and popcorn on my carpets.

:P

Party at Nick's! However, everyone will need to bring their own cells, spillable cokes and really buttery popcorn suitable for leaving grease stains on all furniture, drapes, etc. :icon_kiff

We'd hate to think of you having to hire strangers for this, Nick!;)

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#45 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

I really love Pixar. Thought Ratatouille was amazingly well written. Loved the Toy Story films too.

But I walked out of this one.

My wife asked, "Were they on drugs when they wrote this?"

#46 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

I just saw this movie.

I cannot stress this enough. GO SEE IT!!! If you are a Pixar fan you will love it.

For me, this movie seems like Pixar went back to their roots. Excellent story telling, stunning visuals, and just good clean fun.

There is so much going on especially with the sight gags that I'm sure I missed a few which means a Blu-Ray disc is in my future. :)

Apple computer users will get a kick out of when Wall-E finishes charging his batteries. The sound is still used today even in the new iMacs and Macbooks during bootup.

I actually enjoyed this more than the last couple of Pixar offerings.

Highly recommended and take the whole family.

EDIT - BTW, for those that are wondering. The theme songs used throughout the film are from the movie Hello Dolly.

#47 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

So you haven't seen "Cars"?! You are doing yourself a tremendous disservice.

#48 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

I love lots of the Pixar movies (Although for Cars, I thought it was a tad too long for a childs attention span.)

I really want to go see it, and have slowly been working on HIM to go see it lol.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#49 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

I love lots of the Pixar movies (Although for Cars, I thought it was a tad too long for a childs attention span.)

I really want to go see it, and have slowly been working on HIM to go see it lol.

My husband and I went to see it a couple of days ago - now he's recommending it to everyone we talk to! We both loved it - trust me, you don't even need a kidlet along to enjoy it!
:new_popco

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#50 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

This is a movie not just worth seeing, but worth seeing several times, if just to catch all the visual and audio gags! My youngest son and I went to see it the other night. Less than 20 people in the theater at the time -- that can be attributed to the other recently released flicks showing iat the multiplex, such as Wanted, Hancock. Hellboy II and KungFu Panda.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#51 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:03 AM

Picked up the Blu-Ray yesterday and watched it again. Simply a great film.

Don't forget to go into the extras on the movie disc. There are a couple of Pixar shorts in there that are quite funny.

#52 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,621 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

Actually I saw that as a low point.

WALL*E is the #1 DVD on Amazon for over a week now, and the Blu Ray has been #3 of ALL the DVD titles there. This one may set records.

I agree with Chris that this is simply a great flick - on Blu Ray - its phenominal.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#53 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

Went to Target to pick up the Blu-Ray yesterday and they were sold out! Plenty of SD DVDs on the shelf though. Yeah, Blu-Ray's dead. Really.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#54 OFFLINE   ApK

ApK

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

I really like those titles that include the SD DVD with the Blu-ray disk. If more titles would come out like that in the coming year, I would definitely get a blu-ray player.
I mean, I probably will anyway, but that would make the transition a lead pipe cinch.

#55 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Got WALL*E Blu-Ray in on Monday from Amazon. Planning on surprising the kids with it on Christmas morning. They love WALL*E. My daughter even made TURK*E for her 3rd grade project. She used her brother's WALL*E robot as a guide to disguise a turkey to keep him from being eaten. :D http://richardbracki...585_ThTub-M.jpg

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#56 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

This Blu-Ray now surpasses that rat movie as the best looking disc in my collection, animation or otherwise. Simply fantastic. The "digital copy" file included on the three-disc set is also kind of neat.

Although some folks tend to say it starts "slow", I think that first 22 minutes of the movie without a single word of dialog is perhaps some of the best cinema created in modern times. IMO, a great movie well worth owning on BD.

#57 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,621 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

I agree that this is the new standard by which others will be measured (for now).

Drat....bought and viewed the Blu Ray version - fantastic.

The problem...now I have to order 2 more copies because my grandson and another relative wants their own copy too..... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#58 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

Does anyone know the difference between the 2 disc and 3 disc BluRay versions?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#59 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

The 3 disc has a digital copy version so you can watch it on a computer or personal media player. That's usually the version I buy but in this case because it's so beautiful on BD I didn't bother, I won't watch it on an iPod.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#60 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

The 3 disc has a digital copy version so you can watch it on a computer or personal media player. That's usually the version I buy but in this case because it's so beautiful on BD I didn't bother, I won't watch it on an iPod.

Thanks! I just told Mrs. Smiddy to go pick it up at BB, they are giving away a game cube (not the electronic game, like a Rubik's Cude) for the Smiddelette's for Christmas.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

spam firewall