Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

F Connector

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

When I got Dish installed, the installer opened up the plate on the wall that has the female f-connector, cut the cable, and replaced the female f-connector. He told me that if he did not do that, the signal will "burn" the connector within weeks and I will need to get it replaced.

I've had no problem since the install regarding signal degradation, unfortunately, he did not have the materials to make it flush to the plate like the original, so my wall has the plate, and the cable is hanging out in the middle.

If I want to get my wall to "look nice," would I need to re-cut the cable? Or are there plates designed to accommodate terminated RG6 cables?

If I would need to cut, what kind of Female F-connectors should I buy (the one that won't "burn")?

Thanks.

Additional info:
Dish > DPP44 > 622 & 508
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

I'm wondering if I picked the correct thread location... :)
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

Most of those plates are a simple hole with a simple F barrel connector in the hole. The barrel connector has a loose nut on it that allows the connector to be tightened down on the plate and a fixed plate resembling a nut that the nut is tightened against (with the plastic wall plate between).

The barrel connector originally there was probably for unpowered cable and the installer was concerned that the voltage passed on satellite cable would "fry" it. Some older ones are simply not able to pass the frequency range for satellite.

The odd part is that the loose nut wasn't on the barrel he put on there (unless he didn't put a barrel there and just pulled raw cable through. The nut off of the old barrel connector could have been used if he wanted to. An odd situation.

#4 OFFLINE   SebastianBlack

SebastianBlack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

Either get another wall plate or tighten up the barrell nut.....(What James said)

#5 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Pardon the dust :)

Posted Image

I am not sure if I can pull the purple side through, but if I can't, I can just break the plate and get a new one, right? I believe whatever is holding the barrel was broken during the install, that's why he never put it back because he did not have the part.

As I understand, I do not have to cut the cable yet again. I just need to get a new plate and attach the barrel nicely, then make it look nice and clean.

Is this a home depot trip, or do I have to visit a specialty electronic store?

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

Correct. No need to cut the cable ... just use the barrel connector in the new plate (if it is rated for satellite) or replace it with the barrel connector shown above (borrowing the nut off of the connector that comes with the plate.

Home Depot or Lowes should have the little square snap ins that would fit that hole if you don't replace the whole plate.

#7 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thank you!

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

The problem with most coax plates available at big box stores is that they have inadequate barrel connectors. If the color of the plastic in connector is white, it may well be inadequate. If I recall correctly the better barrel connectors will have a sort of purplish dielectric rather than the white one. Save the connector currently on your cable and replace the one in the plate with it and you should be in good shape.

The plate in your photo appears to be one for an RJ-45 network connector insert. It appears as though you should be able to pull it off the cable without cutting it once you disconnect the cable.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...