Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 constant reboot?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rpratt

rpratt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:36 PM

sometime between Wednesday morning and Thursday evening, my 722 stopped working and went into constant reboot mode. There is no output to the TV via HDMI, and the green light on front goes on accompanied by loud fan noise every couple of minutes, stays on for a bit, and then shuts off again.

The only way I've been able to break this cycle is to disconnect the satellite dish cable, at which point it will start up and let me get to the menus. If I then reconnect the satellite dish cable, I can run the install, check switch, and everything shows green (switch OK, 60+ signal strength on 110 and 119, 35 or so on 129. Then I can watch a show for a few minutes, but within 10 or 15 minutes the 722 will go back into the blue screen, reboot loop.

Any suggestions, aside from pitching it thru the window? I'd really like to be able to watch the Euro cup final Sunday in high def on my 722, not std def on my 508.

Thanks,
Bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Bob,

Did you trying pulling the cord, waiting 10 minutes, and plugging it back in? I assume your 508 is showing no issues. Let it cool down and try it and see if it runs longer before you run into the reboot.

Given the problem appears to go away when not connected to the Dish, I would start troubleshoot from there. Couple things you could try. I by no means am an expert here so hopefully someone that is more hardware oriented will pipe in.

1) Check all your connections ... Perhaps you have bad connector.
2) Remove your Sats one at a time form your switch and see if the problem goes away.
3) Pull the power from the switch.. Wait some time and then apply the power back to the switch.

Those are a few things that come to mind. Other than that I am not sure what else you might try. I am sure someone with more knowledge will pipe in and offer up some suggestions are tell you mine are the best but its what I would try.. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   rpratt

rpratt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did try pulling the power cord longer (actually overnight), but its still unhappy unless I disconnect the satellite dish also.

I initially thought of the connectors as well, but checked them all and they seem Ok, plus the check switch and signal strength meters indicate all is well.

I'm not sure what you mean by removing satellites from the switch and/or power from the switch. I've got a dish 1000 with three satellites combined into one cable at the dish, so there's nothing to remove power from except the 722 itself. And since the other receivers (I also have a 622 that my kids use) are working fine, I don't think this is a problem with the dish itself.

Looks like I may have to break down and call Dish Tech support, although I suspect that will result in a 722 swap.

Bob

Bob,

Did you trying pulling the cord, waiting 10 minutes, and plugging it back in? I assume your 508 is showing no issues. Let it cool down and try it and see if it runs longer before you run into the reboot.

Given the problem appears to go away when not connected to the Dish, I would start troubleshoot from there. Couple things you could try. I by no means am an expert here so hopefully someone that is more hardware oriented will pipe in.

1) Check all your connections ... Perhaps you have bad connector.
2) Remove your Sats one at a time form your switch and see if the problem goes away.
3) Pull the power from the switch.. Wait some time and then apply the power back to the switch.

Those are a few things that come to mind. Other than that I am not sure what else you might try. I am sure someone with more knowledge will pipe in and offer up some suggestions are tell you mine are the best but its what I would try.. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

You may be right... how well is your 722 ventilated. It was late last night and I was not sure if you had an external switch or not so that is why I offered up the suggestion.

When you inspected your connectors did you actually unscrew them on both ends and check them? Other than that, I am not sure what else to check. Do you know if you got L5.11? If so when and does there seem to be a connection to L5.11?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   rpratt

rpratt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

You may be right... how well is your 722 ventilated. It was late last night and I was not sure if you had an external switch or not so that is why I offered up the suggestion.

When you inspected your connectors did you actually unscrew them on both ends and check them? Other than that, I am not sure what else to check. Do you know if you got L5.11? If so when and does there seem to be a connection to L5.11?

I not only unscrewed all the connectors to check, I actually replaced one that was a bit loose with a new compression fitting. No change, and when I swapped my 622 and 722 the problem followed the 722, so it was a box issue.

I finally gave up and just decided to leave it plugged in overnight to see if the restart cycle eventuallly stopped, and that seems to have worked. At 10am everything was working fine, all my recorded shows were playable, and I could browse the guide, watch live TV, etc.

I have no idea what just happened, my only guess is that maybe it got interrupted somehow during a software download Wednesday night, and had only a partial image, which it finally got the rest of last night. If anyone in my engineering team wrote a software update routine that worked this way, I'd can them, but its possible.

At any rate, things are working again, so I'm happy, albeit a bit confused.

thanks for the suggestions,
Bob

#6 OFFLINE   guywall

guywall

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Same thing started happening to me the other night. In the middle of watching a recorded show (not hitting any buttons or anything), the screen froze, everything went black, lights went out, and the loud fan noise came on. About 5 minutes later, we were able to turn it back on.
It was a cool night and there is plenty of air circulation around the receiver.

It hasn't done it since, but it was pretty annoying.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

What you experienced is a lock up and they can happen on occasions. I think it is different than what rpratt is reporting. If you are getting these more than occasionally (By occasionally.. If it is happening more than once every couple of weeks that is too much). I personally can't recall the last one i have had.

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

I had the same thing happen to me on a "new" (probably really refurbished) 622 I got last week as a replacement for my 921 that just died. I called Dish and they are doing an RMA.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#9 OFFLINE   Bellespop

Bellespop

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

We had the same problem on not one but two 722 boxes. Our 622 quit receiving HD channels so we opened an RMA and got a 722 sent out. That evening after the 722 was setup and running it the screen froze, everything went black, lights went out, and the loud fan noise came on. About 5 minutes later it was back up. It ran for another 30 min or so and same thing. So we called it a night. The next day it started doing the same thing about every 30-45 min. It must have done it numerous times overnight as one recorded program was broken up into about 6 smaller segments. So that morning next day we called and had another 722 sent out. Couple days later the new 722 arrives, we go through the setup process and 30 seconds after we are done setting up the new 722 resets. Thinking it was a natural reset maybe after an update we wait and it finally comes up…for 2 minutes and resets again. Another call to support and they while on with them it reset another 3 times. This 722 is worse than the second. So we put a new 622 on and it runs fine so they send an engineer out.

Fast forward a couple days. The tech checks connections etc and hooks up the 722 and after about 10 min the 722 resets. The second 722 is now being replaced with a third 722 that should arrive today, meanwhile the current 622 has not had any problems. So upon returning the three receivers to UPS to send back I ask the guy if he see a lot of these come back and he said about 5-6 a day.

Just want my stuff to work that’s all.

J

#10 OFFLINE   melmsrt4

melmsrt4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:03 AM

Sorry to see that the 722s have the rebooting problem also. I gave up my 622s to get rid of that problem. I did seem to notice that the problem seemed to crop up more often when I was at or near capacity on my storage. We'll see what happens when I get back from a week of vacation. I was a few hours from being full before I left.

#11 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

I had the same thing happen to me on a "new" (probably really refurbished) 622 I got last week as a replacement for my 921 that just died. I called Dish and they are doing an RMA.

Pretty much the same boat here. 942 -> 622 via RA and it worked fine for several days via HDMI. On Tue, moved it and used Component cables instead. At some time Thu night or Fri morning, it was in constant reboot mode. Power light and fan for 30 seconds, then fan noise would go quite for a while w/o power light, then light and fan would come back on for a new cycle. Left it unplugged overnight, but same thing this morning every time I plugged it back in. I was going to phone, but instead tried unplugging OTA antenna, then Sat cables, and finally the Component cables themselves. W/O Component cables I couldn't see diddly, but the reboot cycle had stopped. S-Video cable connected and it showed searching for sat (none connected). Re-connected everything and was good to go again - even with pulling and restore of wall plug power. Won't help someone that keeps getting into a reboot cycle, but worked for me to disconnect everything to get out of the cycle. Especially if you wanted to watch something in the recorded list. Doesn't make sense that it was component cables though.

#12 OFFLINE   Bellespop

Bellespop

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:55 PM

Fast forward a couple days. The tech checks connections etc and hooks up the 722 and after about 10 min the 722 resets. The second 722 is now being replaced with a third 722 that should arrive today, meanwhile the current 622 has not had any problems. So upon returning the three receivers to UPS to send back I ask the guy if he see a lot of these come back and he said about 5-6 a day.

Just want my stuff to work that’s all.

J

Just wanted to shoot an update. The new 722 arrived Thursday and was hooked up and setup Friday morning. We are going on three days and so far no reboots, pausing or other issues. Thanks to all.

#13 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

I had a new install of two 722s and a 1000.2 done yesterday.

One 722 was brand new, one a refurb.

The refurb started doing this today, about 14 hours after being plugged in:

High speed fans, starts to power up, green front panel LED comes on, fans go off as the box reboots, repeat.

Nothing I do changes anything - I disconnected the cable, unplugged it for a while, attempted a reset, etc.

Called DISH, a replacement (likely another refurb :( ) will be here in "3 - 5 days."

I am so glad I kept my SD receivers or I'd have no service in one location for that time.

L5.11, but so is the one that (continues) to function.

#14 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:00 PM

I have heard through the grape vine that there was a large batch of 722 that have issues, and reboot constantly. Weather or not it's true I don't know. I have only came across two with problems in the last 4 months myself.

#15 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I have heard through the grape vine that there was a large batch of 722 that have issues, and reboot constantly. Weather or not it's true I don't know. I have only came across two with problems in the last 4 months myself.

An earlier 20 minute unplug didn't work, but after unplugging absolutely everything - I even disconnected the separator cables and UHF remote antenna - it recovered after four more reboot cycles.

I do not for a moment trust this 722, so I am going to continue with the RA process, but at least this way I can watch the three programs I had recorded before it went off the rails.

Alas, it looks like it went wonky in the middle of a recording as I saw the red light earlier but the recording in question isn't in the recordings list.

No, it wasn't a heat issue as the box is open on all sides, not in a cabinet.

Perhaps of note, given CABill's experience above, is that the unit experiencing the issue was connected via component video; the unit that did not have any problems is connected via HDMI.

I also found it interesting that even without the cables connected it took it four more reboot cycles for things to resolve themselves.

Do most people have their 722 connected via component? Or may there be a bug here when connecting these units that way?

#16 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Just as an update, I've heard the 722 with this issue reboot about four times on its own now, where I've never actually heard the other (so far trouble-free) box reboot.

#17 OFFLINE   mikeinaustin

mikeinaustin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

so i have had a 722 for about 6 months, no issues at all. sunday it completely died, acted as if power supply was dead. replacement 722 arrived last night and as soon as i connected it the box rebooted. it constantly reboots evey 2-10 minutes on average. reboots when unit is cold, reboots when unit is hot, does not matter. sometime during this process software got updated to 6.12 and during the night when it was off it got updated to 6.13. this morning when i turn it on, it stays on for about 30 minutes and then reboots. just rebooted again after another 15 minutes.

i have the original dead 722 in a box to send back to dish today. so i suppose i ship off the dead 722, then call dish and get a replacement for this rebooting 722, correct?

#18 OFFLINE   mikeinaustin

mikeinaustin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

so just got off phone with dish. they are sending a tech over with a new unit on saturday. they said unit might not be grounded correctly despite the fact that the 722 that was there never had this problem nor do the other 2 satellite receivers (622 and 211) we have in the house.

#19 OFFLINE   edees

edees

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

After a little over a year, having a 622 working without any problems it started rebooting 4 to 5 times or more a day. Got a replacement 622 and it did exactly the same. A tech came out and replaced the 622 again with a 722 and it also started rebooting exactly the same way as the 622s.
Another tech came to the house and suggested to keep the broadband connection unplugged. It is working now for about a month without a single reboot. Our broadband is not very reliable, it keeps disconnecting regulary and that might have something to do with the rebooting.

#20 OFFLINE   rpratt

rpratt

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

the same constant reboot problem I described above. This time, disconnecting the various cables, reconnecting them, etc. didn't help, and I've given it all weekend, so I just called Dish to RMA the unit.

So it seems like whatever causes this problem can re-occur after a few months even if it goes away initially.

Bob

spam firewall