Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN No longer has exclusivity on Wednesday Nights...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:14 PM

Apparently Directv.com has removed ANY references to ESPN having Wednesday Night exclusivity in relation to MLBEI....What started last week will continue....

A:
ESPN has an exclusive national broadcast window for all Major League Baseball games on Sunday nights; therefore, no telecast can be made available for DBS distribution. As they have rights to night games only, any games which start after 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT) cannot be distributed via DBS carriers out-of-market.
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RandyAB

RandyAB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:45 PM

Interesting, I always thought that they only had rights to Sunday after 5pm Pacific, not 5pm Eastern.

#3 OFFLINE   Ryan

Ryan

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 07:18 AM

Maybe that was switched as part of the deal?

But 5pm in June, July and August is not night...maybe it's that oft-referenced twi-night?

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:39 AM

It has been 5 pm ET for years on Sunday.

Plenty of games on Wednesday in EI now. :)

I think ESPN blew the exclusive wednesdays by preempting MLB last week on Wednesday.

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:05 PM

If thats the case John, D* sure as hell hurried up and modified their websight to reflect a change to at least 45 games a week as opposed to 35 games a week...That was changed within a day or 2 of that first week of the change.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 11:08 PM

Now if Direc Tv could broadcast the Saturday Fox Afternoon games on the MLB package we'd all be in business. I am so glad that games are able to be seen on the regional sports networks now on Wednsday Nights. I was so tired of watching the ESPN only games and having to watch the bottom line on ESPN waiting for the score I wanted to see be posted.

#7 OFFLINE   miknis

miknis

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 12:37 PM

Looking at the Directv MLB schedule, I notice that sometime after June 4, they do not list Wednsday night games, I'm really counting on those Wednsday night games for the rest of the season, is this ESPN blackout lift only until the middle of June? Thanks for the response.

Regards, Mike
On the highway of life, there is nobody driving along with you, to tell you, you are making a wrong turn.

#8 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 01:48 PM

Due to the Basketball Season coming to an end with the NBA Finals going to be on ABC. ESPN may have in there plans to Resume Wednsday Night Baseball games. These games on Wednsday Night's that have been being aired On Extra Innings Packages may only have been Temporary with the End of the Basketball and Hockey Season there will be room for Baseball games back and only Exclusively on ESPN The rest of the season. This will really suck if that is the plan because I cannot stand ESPN's Coverage anymore of baseball. They have the Continuous scores throughout the entire game at the bottom of the screen and I hate that. I want to see Games that's what I subscribed to them for. Blackouts are becoming more and more confusing by the day. I wish they'd let us see the games. We're Paying for them and should be able to see them and not be forced to watch Every Yankee and Red Sox Game on ESPN on Wednsday night.

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,716 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 07:45 PM

Also notice however that they have changed their MLB EI page to reflect up to 45 games a week as opposed to the way it used to be with up to 35 games a week.....IMHO that reflects the new ESPN Wednesday Night setup.
Dan Sholtis

spam firewall